[Dspace-tech] Handle Servlet java.lang.NullPointerException - Unable to View Objects After Upgrading to 1.7.1

1 view

penni...@rhodes.edu

Aug 25, 2015, 4:44:46 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I'm attempting to upgrade our DSpace 1.6.2 to 1.7.1, but I am getting an error after doing the 1.7.1 upgrade and starting Tomcat. The dspace.log has an error that looks like this:

=====================
2011-04-20 15:27:37,957 INFO org.dspace.usage.LoggerUsageEventListener @ anonymous:session_id=D2B7C53C71F9D0B7ACC67850C132068A:ip_addr=10.10.32.23:view_item:handle=10267/7277
2011-04-20 15:27:37,963 ERROR org.dspace.statistics.SolrLoggerUsageEventListener @ Length Required

Length Required

request: http://dlynx.rhodes.edu/solr/statistics/update?wt=javabin&version=1
2011-04-20 15:27:37,963 INFO org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @ anonymous:session_id=D2B7C53C71F9D0B7ACC67850C132068A:ip_addr=10.10.32.23:view_item:handle=10267/7277
2011-04-20 15:27:37,966 WARN org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet @ :session_id=D2B7C53C71F9D0B7ACC67850C132068A:internal_error:-- URL Was: http://dlynx.rhodes.edu/jspui/handle/10267/7277
-- Method: GET
-- Parameters were:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.HandleServlet.displayItem(HandleServlet.java:342)
at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.HandleServlet.doDSGet(HandleServlet.java:169)
at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:119)
at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doGet(DSpaceServlet.java:67)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.dspace.utils.servlet.DSpaceWebappServletFilter.doFilter(DSpaceWebappServletFilter.java:78)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
=====================

I just did the upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.6.2 yesterday and didn't have any problems. The handle server worked fine after that upgrade, but now it doesn't seem like it wasn't to resolve any IDs to display archived objects.

Note that I can authenticate to DSpace just fine and navigate the structure of the site, but I just can't view any objects, authenticated or not. It is like the handle server just isn't working, but it is running.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate any insight anyone has on this issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Stacy Pennington
Information Technology Services

penni...@rhodes.edu

Aug 25, 2015, 4:44:47 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I think I've figured this out.

After poking at it for a while, I finally figured out that there was a setting that needed to be in the dspace.cfg that doesn't appear to be in the list in the upgrade wiki:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/Upgrading+a+DSpace+Installation#UpgradingaDSpaceInstallation-Upgradingfrom1.6.xto1.7.x

The setting is:

handle.canonical.prefix = http://hdl.handle.net/

The new 1.7.1 dspace.cfg has this setting, and it wasn't in my 1.6.2 file, and the wiki didn't tell me to add it. Once I added it (well, I actually just started over with a new dspace.cfg, but that was the only difference in the end), everything worked fine.

After I complete getting 1.7.1 into production, I will put this requirement on the wiki.

Thanks.