[Dspace-tech] internal system error after submit

1 view

mg...@ualberta.ca

Aug 24, 2015, 3:32:17 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
after going through the submission process I get an Internl System Error.

here's the output from my log. I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any
help would be appreciated.

2005-12-05 14:14:09,400 WARN org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet
@ :session_id=4506AFEB38A1B7D7EA6C345E4E4EB8CF
:internal_error:-- URL Was:
http://chelsea.library.ualberta.ca:8080/dspace/submit
-- Method: POST
-- Parameters were:
-- submit_grant: "I Grant the License"
-- workspace_item_id: "11"
-- step: "11"

java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.parse(InternetAddress.java:569)
at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.parse(InternetAddress.java:529)
at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.<init>(InternetAddress.java:65)
at org.dspace.core.Email.send(Email.java:261)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.emailGroup(WorkflowManager.java:876)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.notifyGroupOfTask(WorkflowManager.java:844)
at org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:466)
at org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.start(WorkflowManager.java:174)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.processLicense(SubmitServlet.java:1604)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.doDSPost(SubmitServlet.java:424)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:147)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:105)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:716)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:809)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:200)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:146)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.filter.RegisteredOnlyFilter.doFilter(RegisteredOnlyFilter.java:100)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)

Christian Voelker

Aug 24, 2015, 3:32:19 PM8/24/15
to mg...@ualberta.ca, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hello,

Am 07.12.2005 um 20:36 schrieb mg...@ualberta.ca:

> after going through the submission process I get an Internl System
> Error.

Well, what ist this log thing all about?
So many lines with weird stuff.
I am not that experienced, but I suggest to go this way:

Read the lines from bottom to top. That is how the got thrown.
In the first line you always see "NullPointerException".
That is the point where the Java VM itself does not know
any more how to handle the problem and hands it over to you.
The other lines go back the path where it came from.
Now look at it:

1 org.apache.catalina.core.(...)
2 org.dspace.app.webui.filter.RegisteredOnlyFilter.doFilter
(RegisteredOnlyFilter.java:100)
3 org.apache.catalina.core.(..., 2 lines)
4 at javax.servlet.http.(..., 2 lines)
5 org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.(..., 2 lines)
6 org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.(..., 2 lines)
7 at org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.(..., 2 lines)
8 org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.notifyGroupOfTask
(WorkflowManager.java:844)
9 org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.emailGroup
(WorkflowManager.java:876)
10 at org.dspace.core.Email.(...)
11 at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.(..., 3 lines)
12 java.lang.NullPointerException

You think that the error comes from dspace,
neither your java installation nor your
tomcat. So ignore all lines containing
"catalina" (this is the tomcat project) and
things like "javax.mail" or "javax.servlet".
These are function calls to standard java
extensions.

So, what remains are lines 2 and 5-10.
Line 2, 8 and 9 give especially precise hints.
It looks as if only registered users are allowed
to do what you were about to do. Maybe, you were
not logged in? Try this.

Then Line 8 and 9 show that DSpace tries to inform
a person in charge of a new task, probably the item
to review. DSpace tries to accomplish this noti-
fication through email. Maybe this is place where
something goes wrong? Have you configured your
mail service properly? Take a look at /var/log/mail.

If you want to dig deeper into this, you can go
and read the source files of your java classes.
The numbers at the end of line are line numbers
of the source files afaik. Reading java sources
is simple as compared to writing them as long
as you have a faint idea on how java works.

I hope this helps you solving this and similar
problems. I think the first one is the more
likely reason for your problem. The second
thing is only triggered by this. I dont know
why the interface does not show something like
"plaese log in to submit new items" to you.

Yours, Christian

Tansley, Robert

Aug 24, 2015, 3:32:29 PM8/24/15
to mg...@ualberta.ca, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Things to check:

That the mail.* dspace.cfg parameters are set correctly

That you don't have any epeople with 'null' emails. (Go to Administer
Epeople, do 'select e-person', sort by email address, check that none
have blank emails, if they do give them an email address)