[Dspace-tech] NEW - DSpace Assetstore

Grant Johnson

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:10 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
OK- The "root" of assetstore is owned by dspace.
- All folders and sub-folders (the numbers) are owned by "root".
- Should these be owned by dspace?
This would explain why ./cleanup running as dspace doesn't
remove the pcs.

Is this what's going on?

Should I chmod all files/folders to either allow all to modify?
Should I chmod all files/folders to be owned by dspace?
"New" Communities and submissions created in the assetstore should be
created and owned by dspace. Right?
Why are new submissions being owned by "ROOT" ?
- DSpace or Postgre configuration issue?

Thanks

Grant Johnson wrote:

--

F. Grant Johnson
566-0630 / fgjo...@upei.ca

Systems/Web Coordinator
RM 285 - Robertson Library
University of Prince Edward Island

***************
Attitude is IT!

Richard Jones

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:11 PM8/24/15
to Grant Johnson, DSpace Tech
Hi Grant,

> OK- The "root" of assetstore is owned by dspace.
> - All folders and sub-folders (the numbers) are owned by "root".
> - Should these be owned by dspace?
> This would explain why ./cleanup running as dspace doesn't
> remove the pcs.
>
> Is this what's going on?
>
> Should I chmod all files/folders to either allow all to modify?
> Should I chmod all files/folders to be owned by dspace?
> "New" Communities and submissions created in the assetstore should be
> created and owned by dspace. Right?
> Why are new submissions being owned by "ROOT" ?
> - DSpace or Postgre configuration issue?

The files will be owned by whoever the web server is running as, so you
should make sure that you have started tomcat as dspace, not root.

If you have started it as root you will need to chown the assetstore
files and the dspace.log file at least. So stop tomcat, fix the
ownerships, and then start tomcat again as dspace. That sounds like it
should fix the problem; it's not too major - I occasionally start tomcat
as root by accident (on my dev box ;) ), and it only takes a minute to
fix.

Cheers,

--
Richard
-------

e: richar...@ub.uib.no
t: +47 55 58 25 37

BORA: http://bora.uib.no/

Grant Johnson

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:13 PM8/24/15
to Richard Jones, DSpace Tech
Thanks Richard,
I'm a bit of a newb!!! Sorry

Here's my init.d script that auto start's Tomcat.
Can I make a change in here so is launches as user dcpace?

**************************************
Create the following startup scripts into /etc/init.d

//Tomcat5

#! /bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/tomcat5
# Startup Script for Tomcat 5

case "$1" in
start)

echo -n "Starting Tomcat5"
/home/dspace/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
;;
stop)

echo -n "Stopping Tomcat5"
/home/dspace/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
;;

restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
esac
exit 0

Tansley, Robert

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:13 PM8/24/15
to Richard Jones, Grant Johnson, DSpace Tech
Also if you run batch imports, make sure they run as the dspace user.

Might be an idea to have some part of the code check the system is running as the correct user!
> scripting language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend
> the live webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new
> coding territory!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&
> dat=121642

Richard Jones

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:21 PM8/24/15
to Grant Johnson, DSpace Tech
Hi Grant,

> I'm a bit of a newb!!! Sorry
>
> Here's my init.d script that auto start's Tomcat.
> Can I make a change in here so is launches as user dcpace?

Sorry for the delay. I'm not much of a systems administrator, so I went
and asked my local expert. Courtesy of Tore Linde:

#!/bin/bash
#
#startup script for the Tomcat Web Server

TOMCAT_OWNER=dspace; export TOMCAT_OWNER
case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting Tomcat: "
su - $TOMCAT_OWNER -c $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
;;
stop)
echo -n "Stopping Tomcat: "
su - $TOMCAT_OWNER -c $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: tomcat {start|stop}"
exit 1
esac
exit 0

Grant Johnson

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:23 PM8/24/15
to Richard Jones, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
No problem Richard,

I appreciate the efforts we all go through for each other.
Everyone has things going on.

I did post again, in another thread, about 1 min. before I got your message!

Thanks for the script and thank Tore Linde for me.

It seems to have done the trick.
Now for the testing!

Richard Jones wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. I'm not much of a systems administrator, so I went
> and asked my local expert. Courtesy of Tore Linde:

Grant Johnson

Aug 24, 2015, 3:39:24 PM8/24/15
to Richard Jones, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hey,

The error I get now is when a user tries to "subscribe" as a new user.
Here's the error that's sent to me as an Admin.
Still looks like a permissions issue.

An internal server error occurred on
http://dspace.roblib.upei.ca:8080/dspace:

Date: 3/9/06 1:20 PM
Session ID: A44B47E064412BF96224E1DB1A8D12E0

-- URL Was: http://dspace.roblib.upei.ca:8080/dspace/register
-- Method: GET
-- Parameters were:

Exception:

Generated servlet error:
/home/dspace/tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/dspace/org/apache/jsp/register/new_002duser_jsp.java:8:
error while writing org.apache.jsp.register.new_002duser_jsp:
/home/dspace/tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/dspace/org/apache/jsp/register/new_002duser_jsp.class
(Permission denied)
public final class new_002duser_jsp extends
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase
^
1 error

at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:84)
at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:332)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:412)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:472)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)
at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:704)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:474)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:409)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:312)
at org.dspace.app.webui.util.JSPManager.showJSP(JSPManager.java:91)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.RegisterServlet.doDSGet(RegisterServlet.java:132)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:151)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doGet(DSpaceServlet.java:99)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)