Migrating from 3.x to 6.0: issues with stats

Shawn Kiewel

Feb 21, 2017, 1:01:52 PM2/21/17
to DSpace Technical Support
I have an existing 3.x installation that is in desperate need of an upgrade. However, an in-place upgrade is not doable, and stakeholders want to see what 6.0 would look and feel like before ok'ing the upgrade. So I've performed a clean install of DSpace 6.0 on a new VM and have started migrating data and customizing the interface. I've managed to move the database over, and it migrated just fine. After reindexing, I am able to find all the expected records. I have not yet migrated over the assetstore, so I can't confirm yet that I can access the digital objects themselves.

However, I have tried to migrate another section of necessary data and have run into issues: statistics. I tried to fake an upgrade by copying over the production [dspace]/solr/statistics folder. The ant upgrade task noted the out of date solr indexes and said it successfully migrated them. However when I tried to run [dspace]/bin/dspace solr-reindex-statistics, I received the following error:

Exception: SolrCore 'statistics' is not available due to init failure: Error Instantiating Update Handler, solr.DirectUpdateHandler2 failed to instantiate org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpSolrServer$RemoteSolrException: SolrCore 'statistics' is not available due to init failure: Error Instantiating Update Handler, solr.DirectUpdateHandler2 failed to instantiate org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler
at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpSolrServer.executeMethod(HttpSolrServer.java:552)
at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpSolrServer.request(HttpSolrServer.java:210)
at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpSolrServer.request(HttpSolrServer.java:206)
at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.request.CoreAdminRequest.process(CoreAdminRequest.java:510)
at org.dspace.util.SolrImportExport.reindex(SolrImportExport.java:320)
at org.dspace.util.SolrImportExport.main(SolrImportExport.java:184)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.runOneCommand(ScriptLauncher.java:229)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:81)

3.x is old enough that [dspace]/bin/dspace solr-export-statistics does not exist. Any other suggestions on how to move my stats data over to the new server? Loss of stats data is a big deal to the stakeholders.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Kiewel

Feb 22, 2017, 11:54:05 AM2/22/17
to DSpace Technical Support
Is there any chance I can use the data in dspace-log-general-date.dat and dspace-log-monthly-date.dat to import the data? I don't have the old dspace logs. Space issues caused those to be removed and a short retain period of individual logs put in place. Regretfully, they were not backed up beforehand, as there was no space to put them.

Shawn