[Dspace-tech] Publication Date Metadata

Trevor Wilson

Aug 26, 2015, 1:13:06 PM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

As per https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Metadata+Recommendations  we can set dc.date.issued=’today’ (the literal string today).

We cannot find the configuration file that needs to be changed to accomplish this.

Many thanks,

Trevor Wilson

Tim Donohue

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:34 PM8/26/15
to Trevor Wilson, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Trevor,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I'm still trying to catch up on
email since the Open Repositories conference earlier this month.

I've cleaned up the documentation a bit:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC4x/Metadata+Recommendations

Setting "dc.date.issued" to "today" only really works when you are using
SWORD or external tools to submit data.

If you are mostly submitting from the web UI, your best bet is to likely
re-enable the "Initial Questions" page (see above docs for the link).
This lets submitters tell you if the item was published or not. If it
was not published before, then the "dc.date.issued" will be auto-set to
today's date.

By default, in DSpace 4.0, the "Initial Questions" page is disabled.
This means that the 'dc.date.issued' field is REQUIRED to be entered for
every submission (i.e. it'll never be empty, and it will never be
automatically set to today's date -- the submitter must manually choose
the appropriate date)

Hopefully this makes sense, and meets your use cases. If you need to
configure DSpace in some other way, you may need to write a custom
Submission step to do so. But, feel free to ask more questions if this
isn't clear.

- Tim
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Tim Donohue

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:52 PM8/26/15
to Sebastien Ival, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Hi Sebastien and Trevor,

Maybe I've misunderstood things. It might help to take a step back. What
is the setup you are trying to achieve in the DSpace submission steps?
In other words, what is your use case here?

As you mentioned, it's very possible the "Initial Question" step doesn't
meet your use case. If so, it might be good to clarify how you want the
submission forms to act, e.g.

Are you trying to set "dc.date.issued" to today's date at all times?
What is the reason why you'd rather your submitters not be required to
specify the "dc.date.issued" themselves (which is the default setting in
DSpace 4.x)?

It's harder for us to debug this issue without a better understanding of
what it is you are trying to achieve. It sounds like I had wrongly
assumed you just wanted the same setup as in DSpace 3 (which is why I
recommended just re-enabling "Initial Questions").

- Tim

On 6/27/2014 9:14 AM, Sebastien Ival wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I have two points to make
>
> 1) I think as mentioned in https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1655, the initial question step is a bit unclear and is now handled as part of the submission process. So having to re-enable it feels like going backward. I don't think the two should be hooked together.
>
> 2) To have the question "The item has been published or publicly distributed before" showing up, I also need to add dc.identifier.citation and dc.publisher. The field only shows up, if you answer yes to the question and you can set all of these values otherwise, it still look like the date is not being set.
>
> As when I try to take the task I get an internal server error with :
> -- Method: POST
> -- Parameters were:
> -- submit_claim: "Take Task"
> -- workflow_id: "186"
> -- step: "0"
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
> at org.dspace.content.DCDate.getMonthUTC(DCDate.java:368)
> at org.dspace.content.DCDate.displayUTCDate(DCDate.java:520)
> at org.dspace.content.DCDate.displayDate(DCDate.java:487)
> at org.dspace.app.webui.util.UIUtil.displayDate(UIUtil.java:249)
> at org.dspace.app.webui.jsptag.ItemTag.render(ItemTag.java:541)
> at org.dspace.app.webui.jsptag.ItemTag.doStartTag(ItemTag.java:289)
> at org.apache.jsp.mydspace.preview_002dtask_jsp._jspService(preview_002dtask_jsp.java:352)
> at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
> at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:432)
> ... 44 more
>

> This makes me think the dc.date.issued is still blank.
>

> Any ideas ?
>
> Sebastien

Sebastien Ival

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:53 PM8/26/15
to Tim Donohue, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Hi Tim,

The default setup is what we are looking at. Users have submit theses = original work. So the users should not have to set this date. It should be automated as per version 3.2.
Once we did the upgrade from 3.2 to 4.1, submitting a new thesis would result in a blank dc.date.issued.

I was trying to revert for this portion to the 3.2 behavior. It seems to me that adding the initial questions does not fix this.

> Are you trying to set "dc.date.issued" to today's date at all times?
Yes, this is the behavior we would like to see.

> What is the reason why you'd rather your submitters not be required to specify the "dc.date.issued" themselves (which is the default setting in DSpace 4.x)?
They are submitting original work.

You did not assume wrongly. I am trying (unsuccessfully) to revert to the 3.2 behaviour.

Thanks for your help.
This is really appreciated.

Tim Donohue

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:55 PM8/26/15
to Sebastien Ival, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Hi Sebastien,

OK, now I think I'm finally understanding things...sorry, it was not
initially clear what your goal was and how you were getting this error.

It sounds like you're hitting an error during the *Workflow Approval
Steps* after you've re-enabled the "Initial Questions" step.

I need to dig in deeper here, but it's possible there's a bug here that
we've overlooked.

- Tim

Tim Donohue

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:58 PM8/26/15
to Sebastien Ival, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Hi Sebastien,

After further investigation, this sounds like a bug in the JSPUI
specifically. It does NOT occur in the XMLUI, but seems to only occur
with a combination of JSPUI + Initial Questions + Workflow approval steps.

I've logged it at:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2043

We'll have to find someone to look into it and resolve it.

- Tim

Sebastien Ival

Aug 26, 2015, 1:17:59 PM8/26/15
to Tim Donohue, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Perfect.

Thank you

Anthony Petryk

Aug 26, 2015, 1:18:00 PM8/26/15
to Sebastien Ival, Tim Donohue, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Trevor Wilson
Hello,

We've encountered the error reported in Sebastien's point (2) below. It occurs when a reviewer tries to preview a workflow task. If the webui.itemdisplay.default config line includes a "date" field but no value was entered in the submission form, ItemTag.java fails when trying to display the date.

The error won't happen if you set the given date field to required in the submission form because the submitter must enter a date to get it out of his/her workspace. I can confirm that dc.date.issued is not required nor set by default. We use dc.date.created.

Here's the workaround that I used (around line 540 of ItemTag.java in the 4.0 code):

else if (isDate)
{
DCDate dd = new DCDate(values[j].value);

// Parse the date
if (!dd.toString().equals("null")) {
out.print(UIUtil.displayDate(dd, false, false, (HttpServletRequest)pageContext.getRequest()));
}
}

Note sure if that's the best solution but it works for us. I hope this helps.

Anthony
Open source business process management suite built on Java and Eclipse Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft _______________________________________________