Required metadata field 'dc.title' doesn't exist

David Brian Holt

Dec 9, 2016, 6:00:48 PM12/9/16
to DSpace Technical Support
I just installed Dspace 6 and I'm getting this error message when I launch a webapp.  I emailed helix84 off-list (sorry about that!) and he responded that it is a database problem.

He said that:

"Both error messages indicate some unexpected problem with the database.

> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.dspace.core.AbstractHibernateDAO.getHibernateSession(AbstractHibernateDAO.java:48)

> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Required metadata field 'dc.title' doesn't exist!
> at org.dspace.content.CommunityServiceImpl.findAllTop(CommunityServiceImpl.java:166)

I ran both

/dspace/bin/dspace database test

/dspace/bin/dspace database info

and it didn't display any errors.

BTW, I couldn't get Dspace to work at all with Tomcat7 or Tomcat8.  I eventually tried Jetty9 and that worked.

Any ideas?

David Brian Holt

Dec 9, 2016, 6:26:26 PM12/9/16
to DSpace Technical Support
BTW, I noticed that the java process is running under the user "jetty".  Is that right?  If not, how do I fix that?

Thanks,

David

David Brian Holt

Dec 9, 2016, 7:44:38 PM12/9/16
to DSpace Technical Support
I figured out how to edit the jetty startup script to run as the "dspace" user.  That didn't fix my issue.

David Brian Holt

Dec 12, 2016, 3:17:23 PM12/12/16
to DSpace Technical Support
BTW, this is the error I get when I try to create an administrator.  The database seems to be working correctly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

David Brian Holt

Dec 12, 2016, 8:02:46 PM12/12/16
to DSpace Technical Support
I solved this problem following the instructions located here: