Solr Index Failing To Build

Scott Renton

Mar 9, 2016, 3:13:00 PM3/9/16
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi folks,

This problem is on a 1.8 deployment. I've had a good look, and haven't managed to find this occuring anywhere else!

I'm quite familiar with the agreed process that, should running ./dspace update-discovery-index -f (or -b) fail, the simplest way to rebuild is to delete the [dspace]/solr/search/data folder, restart the site and run again.

I'm in a situation where the re-creation of the data folder (and indexes within) is not happening, and attempts at replacing with a similar index from a related server are similarly failing. The error is as below, and It does not seem to be a permissions issue.

I wonder if anyone is aware of any config beyond [dspace]/config/modules/discovery.cfg (currently set to search.server = http://localhost:8080/solr/search) and the solrconfig.xml in [dspace]/solr/search/conf (which has standard settings) which might affect this, or knows of any other reason why the update mightn't take place.

Thanks very much,
Scott

Exception: Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

org.dspace.discovery.SearchServiceException: Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

        at org.dspace.discovery.SolrServiceImpl.cleanIndex(SolrServiceImpl.java:375)
        at org.dspace.discovery.IndexClient.main(IndexClient.java:119)
        at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:183)
Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Internal Server Error

Scott Renton

Mar 10, 2016, 8:58:06 AM3/10/16
to DSpace Technical Support
Fixed- the solr indexes were building (somehow) under ...tomcat/bin/solr. Commenting out the dataDir line in solrconfig.xml fixed it, but no idea where solr.data.dir was being set to this anomalous directory.