[Dspace-tech] create administrator problem

Vilas Kumar

Aug 24, 2015, 3:52:05 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear All,

I have just Installed and Build DSpace on my Widows successfully. I have tested it from web-browser and found it ok. Now when I tried to create administrator from dos prompt following error occurs.

I am using
DSpace 1.3.2
apache-ant-1.6.5
j2sdk1.4.2_11
Tomcat 5.0

C:\dspace\bin>c:\dspace\bin\dsrun org.dspace.administer.CreateAdministrator
Using DSpace installation in: C:\dspace
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/dspace/ad
minister/CreateAdministrator (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

Will be grateful if someone could help me in resolving this problem

-Vikas

Catch all the FIFA World Cup 2006 action on Yahoo! India Click here

Jonathan Champ

Aug 24, 2015, 3:52:11 PM8/24/15
to Vilas Kumar, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Personally, I would recommend using j2sdk1.5. It looks like the class
file was compiled with some incorrect versioning information. I would
try: "ant clean; ant update" in an attempt to regenerate the files.
Other than your version of java and your version of Tomcat (which
shouldn't be causing this problem), we are using the same version of
the other two applications albeit on different platforms. However, if
you just compiled DSpace, then I'm not sure a code refresh would do
anything. Other than that, I think I remember someone saying that java
1.5 was the current recommendation.
[snip]

Vikas Kumar

Aug 24, 2015, 3:52:14 PM8/24/15
to Jonathan Champ, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Thanks Jonathan for your kind reply.

After sending this the query to the list, I have installed J2sdk1.5  and then built the dspace again. But while creating the administrator, the problem still persists. This DSpace installation is on Windows 2000 Professional Ed.

-Vikas

Jonathan Champ <roy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Personally, I would recommend using j2sdk1.5. It looks like the class
file was compiled with some incorrect versioning information. I would
try: "ant clean; ant update" in an attempt to regenerate the files.
Other than your version of java and your version of Tomcat (which
shouldn't be causing this problem), we are using the same version of
the other two applications albeit on different platforms. However, if
you just compiled DSpace, then I'm not sure a code refresh would do
anything. Other than that, I think I remember someone saying that java
1.5 was the current recommendation.

Vikas Kumar

Aug 24, 2015, 3:52:15 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, Jonathan Champ
Dear All,

The following error, which I was receiving while creating administrator, has been successfully resolved.

 Exception in thread "main"  java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/dspace/administer/CreateAdministrator (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)

I had Oracle 6i installed on my computer and Oracle 6i had installed older versions of JRE & JDK. A path pointing to this installation was created in the system. So whenever I was trying to create administrator, these older versions were invoked instead of recently installed JDK. I just removed the older JRE/JDK paths created by Oracle 6i installation and then tried to create administrator, and found it successfully created.

Hope I resolved the problem in correct way.

-Vikas

Vikas Kumar <vikas_...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
Catch all the FIFA World Cup 2006 action on Yahoo! India Click hereUsing Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?