[Dspace-tech] Non-superuser connection limit exceeded

Damian Marinaccio

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:31 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I have reported this error in the past, with no response. I was
wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

After some time the dspace software stops responding, we get the
standard error message via the web display and the dspace log reports
the error below.

Does anybody know what causes this? Is there a way to fix this?

We are gaining many users and this is becoming a big problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Damian Marinaccio
RIT Library
dxm...@rit.edu
585.475.7741

--------------------------------- Begin Error Message Below
2004-01-13 10:59:12,750 WARN
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet
@ :session_id=7F34B313A706E46315A8347988FAED5F:internal_error:-- URL
Was: http:/
/ritdml.rit.edu/register
-- Method: GET
-- Parameters were:

org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: Backend start-up failed: FATAL:
Non-supe
ruser connection limit exceeded

at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverManagerConnectionFactory.createConnecti
on(DriverManagerConnectionFactory.java:101)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(Poolable
ConnectionFactory.java:184)
at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(Unknown S
ource)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver.connect(PoolingDriver.java:146)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.getConnection(DatabaseManage
r.java:382)
at org.dspace.core.Context.<init>(Context.java:102)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.util.UIUtil.obtainContext(UIUtil.java:93)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServl
et.java:137)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doGet(DSpaceServlet.java:1
02)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
icationFilterChain.java:247)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
ilterChain.java:193)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
alve.java:260)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextV
alve.java:191)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:
2415)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.j
ava:180)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatche
rValve.java:170)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.j
ava:172)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
ve.java:174)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
at
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:22
3)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java
:432)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.proce
ssConnection(Http11Protocol.java:386)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:534)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadP
ool.java:530)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
Caused by: Backend start-up failed: FATAL: Non-superuser connection
limit excee
ded

at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJ
dbc1Connection.java:306)
at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:122)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverManagerConnectionFactory.createConnecti
on(DriverManagerConnectionFactory.java:95)
... 41 more

Jasper van den Bosch

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:32 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
DM> I have reported this error in the past, with no response. I was
DM> wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

DM> After some time the dspace software stops responding, we get the
DM> standard error message via the web display and the dspace log reports
DM> the error below.

Sounds very familiar. We had that a couple of times, and especially
when DSpace is used intensively.

DM> Does anybody know what causes this?

We didn't get really deep into this error yet, but it seems to be a
bug in DSpace.

DM> Is there a way to fix this?

Well, probably, but it probably needs to be done in the code of DSpace
itself. It would be great if this bug can be solved in a next release.

Can someone from the DSpace development team react on this one?

Regards,

Jasper van den Bosch
Electronic Publishing & Internet Co-ordinator
Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM)
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Ying

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:33 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I'm new to DSpace. However, I have experienced twice Internal System Errors
while I worked on it.
First time was when I tried to delete a group and I got this error. And then
when followed the steps to submit
a submission, I got this error again at the last step.

Does anyone had this problem before? How can I solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Ying

Jay McConell

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:35 PM8/24/15
to dxm...@rit.edu, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
The default installation of pgsql allows only 30 connections.

Found in /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf:

#max_connections = 32
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2

Did you modify all of the parameters in postgres related to max_connections
to increase connections and then restart postgres?

Jay

>From: "Damian Marinaccio" <dxm...@rit.edu>
>To: <dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net>
>Subject: [Dspace-tech] Non-superuser connection limit exceeded
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:29:43 -0500
>
>I have reported this error in the past, with no response. I was
>wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>
>After some time the dspace software stops responding, we get the
>standard error message via the web display and the dspace log reports

Ying

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:36 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
> Whenever you experience an internal system error in DSpace, you should
> always check the dspace.log file on the filesystem to find out more
> specifics to the error. Once you have more specific error messages then
> someone may be able to help because the internal system error is just the
> generic page displayed for all errors.
Thanks for reminding me this. I checked the log file. Following are the
error messages I got.

Thanks,
Ying
================================
2004-01-13 13:41:19,486 WARN org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @
dsp...@dlib.indiana.edu:session_id=920CEFBC0E29B45BCA84BF0068C6EACE
:database_error:org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: update or delete
on "epersongroup" violates foreign key constraint "$3" on "collection"
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: update or delete on "epersongroup"
violates foreign key constraint "$3" on "collection"

at
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException.parseServerError(PSQLException.java:139)
at
org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.executeV3(QueryExecutor.java:154)
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:101)
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:43)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc1Statement.j
ava:515)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.j
ava:50)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc1State
ment.java:271)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc1State
ment.java:257)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingStatemen
t.java:171)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.updateQuery(DatabaseManager.java:23
5)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.deleteByValue(DatabaseManager.java:
368)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.delete(DatabaseManager.java:337)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.delete(DatabaseManager.java:512)
at org.dspace.eperson.Group.delete(Group.java:426)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.admin.GroupEditServlet.doDSPost(GroupEditServle
t.java:143)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java
:153)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:110)
at
FilterChain.java:247)
at
ain.java:193)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.filter.AdminOnlyFilter.doFilter(AdminOnlyFilter.java:11
1)
at
FilterChain.java:213)
at
ain.java:193)
at
va:256)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
at
at
va:191)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2417)
at
)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
java:171)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172
)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at
at
at
:174)
at
eNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at
at
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:193)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:781)
at
ction(Http11Protocol.java:549)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:589)
at
a:666)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
=======================================
The other one is:

2004-01-13 14:27:46,163 WARN
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet @
:session_id=A67997C8F5F44C304E67E5DFBC1D8C7F:internal_error:
-- URL Was: http://156.56.172.24:8080/dspace/submit
-- Method: POST
-- Parameters were:
-- submit_grant: "I Grant the License"
-- workspace_item_id: "2"
-- step: "6"

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:393)
at org.dspace.core.Email.send(Email.java:228)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.notifyOfArchive(WorkflowManager.java:622
)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:533)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:511)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:481)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:449)
at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.start(WorkflowManager.java:175)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.processLicense(SubmitServlet.java
:1563)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.doDSPost(SubmitServlet.java:406)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java
:153)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:110)
at
FilterChain.java:247)
at
ain.java:193)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.filter.RegisteredOnlyFilter.doFilter(RegisteredOnlyFilt
er.java:106)
at
FilterChain.java:213)
at
ain.java:193)
at
va:256)
at
[...]

Jay McConell

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:38 PM8/24/15
to yin...@indiana.edu, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Whenever you experience an internal system error in DSpace, you should
always check the dspace.log file on the filesystem to find out more
specifics to the error. Once you have more specific error messages then
someone may be able to help because the internal system error is just the
generic page displayed for all errors.

Jay

>From: "Ying" <yin...@indiana.edu>
>To: <dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net>
>Subject: [Dspace-tech] Internal System Error
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:58:57 -0500
>
>I'm new to DSpace. However, I have experienced twice Internal System Errors
>while I worked on it.
>First time was when I tried to delete a group and I got this error. And
>then
>when followed the steps to submit
>a submission, I got this error again at the last step.
>
>Does anyone had this problem before? How can I solve it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ying

Damian Marinaccio

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:39 PM8/24/15
to Jay McConell, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I know about raising the maximum connections, however I am more
concerned with why connections are not being closed. I am 100% sure that
there are not 30 users connected to our dspace. Is it possible that
DSPACE uses more than one connection per user? It would be really
helpful to hear from one of the developers on this.

Thanks,

Damian Marinaccio
RIT Library
dxm...@rit.edu
585.475.7741

> [...]
>t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
>a:480)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
>ve.java:174)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
>t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
>a:480)
> at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)

mao ni

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:43 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear All,

Anybody knows when version 1.2 will be released?
I've been waiting for it.

Thanks,
Mao

Tom De Mulder

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:50 PM8/24/15
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Damian Marinaccio wrote:

>I have reported this error in the past, with no response. I was
>wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>After some time the dspace software stops responding, we get the
>standard error message via the web display and the dspace log reports
>the error below.

This is likely caused by connections to the database remaining open even
when they're no longer in use. You can work around it by increasing the
max_connections parameter in your postgresql.conf, which is your best bet
in the short term - you won't get a performance hit from changing this. I
think it's just the servlets being slow in freeing up unused connections.

Kind regards,

--
Tom De Mulder <td...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, CB2 3QH, Cambridge

Ian Boston

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:51 PM8/24/15
to Tom De Mulder, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I think Tom is right about the slow release. I cant remember which pooling
strategy DSpace uses (apache commons or JDBC3), but some versions of Tomcat
have poor servlet api implementation where the events on request, response and
session object release dont propogate correctly. Some pooling strategies use
these events to auto release connections when the request is finished, for
example if it remained locked due to an poor exception route ( no } finally { }
block to release the connection back to pool ).

If the event doesnt release then I have a vague memory that GC eventually
triggers a release (hence slow release)

The only reason I mention this is I have recently seen reports of the same
behaviour on a heavilly loaded system, not DSpace, ( >100 concurrent users)
using Tomcat and Postgres where the pool eventually runs out of idle
connections.

( Tom probalby will never see this, your using JBoss+Jetty ? from memory )

Ian

.

Tom De Mulder

Aug 24, 2015, 12:13:52 PM8/24/15
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Ian Boston wrote:

>The only reason I mention this is I have recently seen reports of the same
>behaviour on a heavilly loaded system, not DSpace, ( >100 concurrent users)
>using Tomcat and Postgres where the pool eventually runs out of idle
>connections.
>( Tom probalby will never see this, your using JBoss+Jetty ? from memory )

The main Cambridge DSpace installation uses JBoss+Jetty, and I haven't had
a problem with it. I have several Tomcat DSpace installations as well, but
those tend to be small demonstration setups so I've never bumped into the
limit with them. But I remember getting the error on an early system when
I first started using DSpace, and having to increase max_connections to
get around it.

--
Tom De Mulder <td...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, CB2 3QH, Cambridge
-> 16/01/2004 : The Moon is Waning Crescent (43% of Full)

MacKenzie Smith

Aug 24, 2015, 12:14:01 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello,

We're currently hoping to have the 1.2 release ready for demo and testing
in time for the user group on March 10-11. It will have as much new
functionality as we can finish by then, and will incorporate all code
contributions from you all that we've received and integrated by then. If
the testing and documentation goes quickly, the release should be available
by the end of March. We apologize for this delay, but bear in mind that
DSpace development has become widely distributed since the launch in 02,
and managing code releases has become quite a complicated job!

MacKenzie

>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:24:48 -0500
>From: mao ni <ma...@email.unc.edu>
>Subject: [Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.2
MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries
Building 14S-308
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617)253-8184
ken...@mit.edu

Damian Marinaccio

Aug 24, 2015, 12:14:59 PM8/24/15
to Tansley, Robert, Jay McConell, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Robert,

We changed the values for connections yet we still have 60
current postmaster processes running without any reduction (see end of
message for output of ps command). There is only one user on the system
right now. It just doesn't seem to be shrinking the pool at all.

Any further ideas?

We have upgraded both postgresql and tomcat.

Are we the only users that reported this problem?

Thanks,

Damian Marinaccio
RIT Library
dxm...@rit.edu
585.475.7741

# /usr/ucb/ps -auxww | grep ^postgres
postgres 6132 0.0 0.1 8424 1632 ? S Jan 22 0:01
./postmaster
postgres 6133 0.0 0.1 6896 928 ? S Jan 22 0:00 postgres:
stats buffer process
postgres 6134 0.0 0.1 5968 1152 ? S Jan 22 0:01 postgres:
stats collector process
postgres 16210 0.0 0.2 9144 5192 ? S 13:56:09 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16223 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:44 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16224 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:44 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16225 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16226 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16227 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16228 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16229 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16230 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:45 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16231 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:46 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16235 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:49 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16236 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:49 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16237 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:50 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16238 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:50 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16239 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:50 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16240 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:50 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16241 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:51 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16242 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:51 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16243 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:51 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16244 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:51 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16245 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:51 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16246 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:52 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16247 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:52 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16248 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:52 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16249 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:52 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16250 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:53 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16251 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:53 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16252 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:53 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16262 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:58 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16263 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:57:59 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16264 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:59 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16265 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:59 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16266 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:57:59 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16267 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:58:00 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16268 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:58:00 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16287 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:58:10 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16288 0.0 0.2 9136 5120 ? S 13:58:10 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16295 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:58:11 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16296 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:58:11 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16297 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 13:58:11 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16356 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 14:00:20 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16357 0.0 0.2 9208 5432 ? S 14:00:23 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16358 0.0 0.2 9144 5192 ? S 14:00:23 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16443 0.0 0.2 9136 5128 ? S 14:03:12 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16450 0.0 0.2 9144 5136 ? S 14:03:15 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16451 0.0 0.2 9144 5136 ? S 14:03:16 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16452 0.0 0.2 9144 5136 ? S 14:03:16 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16453 0.0 0.2 9144 5136 ? S 14:03:17 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16454 0.0 0.2 9144 5128 ? S 14:03:17 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16455 0.0 0.2 9144 5128 ? S 14:03:17 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16456 0.0 0.2 9144 5128 ? S 14:03:18 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16457 0.0 0.2 9144 5128 ? S 14:03:19 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16461 0.0 0.2 9144 5128 ? S 14:03:21 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16519 0.0 0.2 9776 5720 ? S 14:08:13 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 16733 0.0 0.2 9784 6000 ? S 14:45:46 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 17028 0.0 0.2 9280 5552 ? S 15:09:18 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle in transaction
postgres 17036 0.0 0.2 9336 5568 ? S 15:10:58 0:00 postgres:
dspace dspace 127.0.0.1 idle
Aug 24, 2015, 12:15:46 PM8/24/15
to Damian Marinaccio, Jay McConell, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
In order to improve performance, DSpace maintains a 'pool' of open DB connections. This is to avoid the overhead of opening and closing a separate connection every time an HTTP request comes in from a browser. This is why you're seeing more open connections than users.

The code for this is in org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.initialize(). This contains the parameters for the connection pool (in the line starting ObjectPool connectionPool = new GenericObjectPool(...)

You can set the number of maximum connections in the pool (30 by default, but you shouldn't set it higher than the number of connections PostgreSQL is configured to open, obviously. You can also set the maximum amount of time to wait for a connection to become available if all the connections in the pool are used (default 5000 milliseconds) -- you could try upping it. It might also be worth experimenting with setting the max no. of idle connections, i.e. forcing the pool to actively close connections when a certain number of them aren't in use.

These parameters are all hard-coded in DatabaseManager.initialize() right now, but I'll pull them out into dspace.cfg (with defaults for backwards compatibility) for the 1.2 release.

Robert Tansley / Hewlett-Packard Laboratories / (+1) 617 551 7624

Damian Marinaccio

Aug 24, 2015, 12:16:06 PM8/24/15
to Tansley, Robert, Jay McConell, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Robert,

I really appreciate the response. I will try experimenting with
these values and I will post my findings. Thanks to all.

Damian Marinaccio
RIT Library
dxm...@rit.edu
585.475.7741

Aug 24, 2015, 2:57:55 PM8/24/15
to Shivendra Singh, DSpace Technology List
Hi Shivendra,

The errors indicate that your configured SMTP (email) server is not configured correctly -- it may be entered incorrectly (and also check for extra spaces at the end of the line in dspace.cfg, which can cause problems).  Or there may be an authentication problem.

javax.mail.MessagingException: Unknown SMTP host: smtp.niper.ac.in;
  nested exception is:
 java.net.UnknownHostException: smtp.niper.ac.in
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1211)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:311)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:233)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:134)
(...)

Aug 24, 2015, 4:37:58 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I ve installed Dsoace1.4.1 on Server.
 All the prerequistes have been installed.
    1)jdk
    2)postgresql
    3)tomcat
    Everything is working fine.ant fresh_install is also working.But when i give the address in the toolbar which ive given in dspace.cfg file i.e http://dspace.ngri.res.in:8080/dspace.
It displays Internal System error , even the mail server is working fine, Iv e checked the tomcat log file ( catalina.out) and dspace.log file.No error in it.What should i do.
Plz help me out.

James Rutherford

Aug 24, 2015, 4:38:00 PM8/24/15
to rudra chandana, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Rudra,

Check the source of the 'internal server error' page; there should be a
stack trace included in a comment.

Jim

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:49:52PM +0530, rudra chandana wrote:
> I ve installed Dsoace1.4.1 on Server.
> All the prerequistes have been installed.
> 1)jdk
> 2)postgresql
> 3)tomcat
> Everything is working fine.ant fresh_install is also working.But when i
> give the address in the toolbar which ive given in dspace.cfg file i.e
> http://dspace.ngri.res.in:8080/dspace.
> It displays Internal System error , even the mail server is working fine, Iv
> e checked the tomcat log file (catalina.out) and dspace.log file.No error in
> it.What should i do.
> Plz help me out.

Rodrigo Castro Artigas

Aug 24, 2015, 5:11:53 PM8/24/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I have the problem with save new Item in the work flow

The log is the Following:

2007-07-26 12:46:56,756 WARN
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet @
:session_id=594A725C08D3E94C814CE06E2A9F5247:internal_error:-- URL Was:
http://sdspace.alerta.cl/dspace/submit
-- Method: POST
-- Parameters were:
-- submit_jump_2: "Correct one of these"
-- workspace_item_id: "5"
-- step: "9"

java.lang.NullPointerException:
at
org.apache.jsp.submit.edit_002dmetadata_jsp.doOneBox(edit_002dmetadata_jsp.j
ava:461)
at
org.apache.jsp.submit.edit_002dmetadata_jsp._jspService(edit_002dmetadata_js
p.java:1070)
at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
34)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
at
FilterChain.java:252)
at
ain.java:173)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.
java:672)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDis
patcher.java:463)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatch
er.java:398)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher
.java:301)
at org.dspace.app.webui.util.JSPManager.showJSP(JSPManager.java:91)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.showProgressAwareJSP(SubmitServle
t.java:2053)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.doStep(SubmitServlet.java:1824)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.doStepJump(SubmitServlet.java:179
0)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.processReview(SubmitServlet.java:
1582)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.SubmitServlet.doDSPost(SubmitServlet.java:414)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java
:147)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:105)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
at
FilterChain.java:252)
at
ain.java:173)
at
org.dspace.app.webui.filter.RegisteredOnlyFilter.doFilter(RegisteredOnlyFilt
er.java:98)
at
FilterChain.java:202)
at
ain.java:173)
at
va:213)
at
va:178)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126
)

Thanks You

Atte.,
Rodrigo

K. Jones

Aug 25, 2015, 10:55:45 AM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading my dspace 1.4.2 implementation to dspace 1.5.

Currently I have atest machine where I have dspace 1.4.2 installed, I've used Maven to download the source code for dspace 1.5.
I've followed the directions to upgrade, but when I start my new instance of dspace 1.5 I am getting a Internal server error, but nothing is being reported to the log file, and no trace stack is being sent either.

the page displayed looks like this:

null >

Internal System Error

The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the problem.
Leave a message for the null administrators.

Go to the DSpace home page

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running it with Tomcat 5.25, Postgres 8.0 and java1.5.

It’s easy to add contacts from Facebook and other social sites through Windows Live™ Messenger. Learn How.

Luis Galárraga

Aug 25, 2015, 12:26:42 PM8/25/15
to DSpac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear DSpace developers:

I have downloaded and installed DSpace 1.5.1 according to the instructions in http://www.dspace.org/1_5_1Documentation/ch03.html#docbook-install.html-windows. I am using Windows XP, 64 bits edition with JDK 1.5.0_16, Ant 1.7.1 and Maven 2.0.9. First, I installed it with a local Postgres 8.3 database but when accessing the application via http://localhost:8080/jspui, I got the following error:

Internal System Error

The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the problem.

By checking in the logs of the aplicacion (located in C:\DSpace\log\dspace.txt) I found the following exception

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The class class org.postgis.PGbox3d does not implement org.postgresql.util.PGobject

By searching in Google, I found in other application's forum that it could be due to the JDBC driver version. I checked DSpace distribution and confirmed that it includes postgresql-8.1-408.jdbc3.jar file which is for Postgres 8.1. Fortunately, I got a Postgres 8.1 remote server and  repeated the installation steps, but nothing changed. Does anybody have an idea about this strange issue?. All my installations seemed to be successful (the database seems to be correctly set up). I would really appreciate your help for this problem.

Best regards,
Luis

PD: I have attached my log file which exposes the same error repeatedly.
dspace.log

Khan, Baseer

Aug 25, 2015, 12:48:32 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hello ,

I am trying to upgrade Dspace to 1.5.1 on test machine from 1.4.2 .

All the installation were successful except hen I ran index-init , it gave few exceptions .

Then I tried to access homepage http://localhost:8080/jspui .

This gives an error message saying

“ internal system error

The system has experienced an internal  error .Please try doing what you were doing again ,and the problem persists ,please contact us “

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Baseer.

Khan, Baseer

Aug 25, 2015, 12:49:29 PM8/25/15
to Flavio Botelho, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hello ,
i have checked my log file ,
from this i thought it was Tomcat error and updated it , but this did not help can anyone read my log file and help me out here .
i have attached the log file .
Thank you,
Baseer.
Aug 25, 2015, 12:49:30 PM8/25/15
to Khan, Baseer, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
You are missing the Database Driver.
are you using Oracle?

You should follow the install instructions in the documentation.

Flavio Botelho

Onte, Michael

Aug 25, 2015, 12:56:45 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

I upgraded our Dspace from 1.4.2 to 1.5 by following the steps on the manual. Everything seems to work fine after that except when we do a search and then click on the name of the title. I then get the message Internal System Error. Below is the java stack displayed when I viewed the source of the page.

If anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

java.lang.NullPointerException

      at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.HandleServlet.displayItem(HandleServlet.java:331)

      at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.HandleServlet.doDSGet(HandleServlet.java:180)

      at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:151)

      at org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doGet(DSpaceServlet.java:99)

      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:210)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

      at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)

      at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:151)

      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:870)

      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)

      at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Michael Onte

Database Administrator

Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute

mo...@lrri.org <mailto:mo...@lrri.org>

Office - (505) 348-9460

Cell - (505) 975-4504

Van Ly

Aug 25, 2015, 12:56:47 PM8/25/15
to Onte, Michael, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Michael,

You could check the java api documentation:

# e.g.
java_se_N_docu/docs/api/java/lang/NullPointerException.html

You could also check if the `click on the name of the title' reduces to an sql-query in the dspace-source and apply that query to see if you get the expected result. It's possible to navigate the source code by converting to diagrams and point and click with Netbeans.

Only a minority of 4-lines of the trace refer to webui, perhaps the java+tomcat combination is awry.

Best wishes,

-- Van Ly

Van Ly

Aug 25, 2015, 12:57:00 PM8/25/15
to Onte, Michael, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

| "You could also check if the `click on the name of the title' reduces to
| an sql-query in the dspace-source and apply that query to see if you get
| the expected result."
|
| Can you tell me in detail how to do it?

It's just a theory.

Have a look at an example title link in html form, like,

if the title `cw3 rpm' is clicked a request for url ending with `/handle/12345/6789' occurs, and if you follow that request, you may find it touches on files in dspace-source, such as, rdbms/DatabaseManager.java where I expect an sql query happens.

Henry Atsu Agbodza

Aug 25, 2015, 1:39:13 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

I installed Dspace on the 11th of March, 2010 at the University of Ghana.
I'm trying to have the system on a Linux box instead of Windows.
Everything went on well. I logged into the administrator end and made some
changes to the side bar news etc. The changes reflected on the homepage
and everything went well. I then shut the machine down. Because i will
have to perform some demonstration on Friday, i decided to test the system
today and make some few changes. But on the homepage i get an Internal
System Error message. Clicking on any of the links still displays the same
message. Please help me to fix this. I will be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
Below is the first mail i got from the system as the system administrator

Date: 3/17/10 12:50 PM
Session ID: 4052E39F65C30BF017A143A3C5BBE3A9

-- URL Was: http://dspace.ug.edu.gh:8080/dspace/
-- Method: GET
-- Parameters were:

Exception:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
hostname and
port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
Exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
Stack Trace:
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.<init>(PGStream.java:62)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:77)
at
org.postgresql.core.ConnectionFactory.openConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:66)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.<init>(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:124)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.Jdbc2Connection.<init>(Jdbc2Connection.java:24)
at org.postgresql.Driver.makeConnection(Driver.java:386)
at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:260)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverManagerConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverManagerConnectionFactory.java:48)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:290)
at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:840)
at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver.connect(PoolingDriver.java:175)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193)
at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.getConnection(DatabaseManager.java:717)
at org.dspace.core.Context.<init>(Context.java:105)
at org.dspace.app.webui.util.UIUtil.obtainContext(UIUtil.java:109)
at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:78)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:324)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
End of Stack Trace

at
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:123)
[...]

Hilton Gibson

Aug 25, 2015, 1:39:14 PM8/25/15
to Henry Atsu Agbodza, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Henry

Please check the following:
http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Prepare_Ubuntu#Step_7._Install_PostgreSQL
http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Install_Dspace#Step_4._.2A.2A.2A_Edit_the_Dspace_configuration_.2A.2A.2A
http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Disaster_Recovery#Database_credentials

Your DSpace cannot connect to the PostgreSQL server.
The first step is to check that DSpace is allowed to connect to the
PostgreSQL server.
This is normally done with:
http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Prepare_Ubuntu#Step_7._Install_PostgreSQL
Then check that you DSpace config file is correct, this is normally
done with: http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Install_Dspace#Step_4._.2A.2A.2A_Edit_the_Dspace_configuration_.2A.2A.2A
Then when you want to setup backups, this is normally done:
http://ir.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/Disaster_Recovery#Database_credentials

Cheers

hg.

Systems Administrator
Library and Information Services
Stellenbosch University

http://www.sun.ac.za
http://library.sun.ac.za
http://scholar.sun.ac.za
http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za

Mark H. Wood

Aug 25, 2015, 1:39:22 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Since this happened after the machine was shut down and restarted, I
would first check to see whether PostgreSQL is running. The machine
may not have been configured to start it at system startup.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mw...@IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.

Fabiana Zollo

Aug 25, 2015, 5:27:15 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi everybody,
I'm having a problem when I try to access to the DSpace Home Page. The message is this below:

Internal System Error
The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were doing again, and if problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the problem.

I checked the log files in the DSpace directory, and this below is the content of the dspace .log file.

Could anyone help me? I haven't made any changes and the system was perfectly running before.

Thanks in advance,
Fabiana

2011-12-14 12:51:08,187 WARN  org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DataSourceInit @ Exception initializing DB pool
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
at org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DataSourceInit.getDatasource(DataSourceInit.java:38)
at org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.initialize(DatabaseManager.java:1513)
at org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.getConnection(DatabaseManager.java:585)
at org.dspace.core.Context.<init>(Context.java:95)
at org.dspace.app.webui.util.UIUtil.obtainContext(UIUtil.java:98)
at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:109)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:432)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.dspace.utils.servlet.DSpaceWebappServletFilter.doFilter(DSpaceWebappServletFilter.java:78)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:224)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:169)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:98)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:928)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:987)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:539)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:298)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
2011-12-14 12:51:08,187 WARN  org.dspace.jsp @ anonymous:no_context:database_error:java.sql.SQLException\colon; java.lang.ClassNotFoundException\colon;
java.sql.SQLException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
at org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DataSourceInit.getDatasource(DataSourceInit.java:149)
[...]
... 30 more

George S Kozak

Aug 25, 2015, 5:27:17 PM8/25/15
to Fabiana Zollo, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Fabiana:

I think the  problem is with your database.    I don’t know which kind you are using Postgres or Oracle, but you should check to see if it is running.  Also, if it is running, you should check to see that the permissions are set so that the “dspace” user can read and write to the database.

George Kozak

Digital Library Specialist

Cornell University Library Information Technologies (CUL-IT)

501 Olin Library

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

607-255-8924

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:58:42PM +0100, Fabiana Zollo wrote:

> Hi everybody,I'm having a problem when I try to access to the DSpace Home Page. The message is this below:
> Internal System ErrorThe system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were doing again, and if problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the problem.
> I checked the log files in the DSpace directory, and this below is the content of the dspace .log file.
> Could anyone help me? I haven't made any changes and the system was perfectly running before.
> Thanks in advance,Fabiana
>
> 2011-12-14 12:51:08,187 WARN org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DataSourceInit @ Exception initializing DB pool
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

That looks to me like a damaged value for the config/dspace.cfg
setting "db.driver". If you're using PostgreSQL then the value should
be "org.postgresql.Driver", and if Oracle then "oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver".

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mw...@IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

Parul Dubey

Aug 26, 2015, 10:15:46 AM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear all

After adding some fields to metadata .Again clicking to the adminstrator on the navigation bar it shows an internal error.
Kindly suggest how to handle this error.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2015, 10:16:02 AM8/26/15
to parul...@itsl.in, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Parul Dubey <parul...@itsl.in> wrote:
> After adding some fields to metadata .Again clicking to the adminstrator on
> the navigation bar it shows an internal error.
> Kindly suggest how to handle this error.

Hi Parul,

this "Internal System Error" message is just a generic message. To
track down the cause of the error, you'll want to look at your dspace
log files for any errors noted there.

We've written a "Troubleshoot an error" guide to help you figure out
what to look for:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error

Once you locate the error message, if you cannot figure out its meaning,
you are welcome to send it off to this dspace-tech list. Someone on this
list can help you determine what the issue may be.

Regards,
~~helix84

Nicolás Rucks

Aug 26, 2015, 10:16:08 AM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi All,
according to https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/TechnicalFaq#TechnicalFaq-HowdoIreportbugs?
Bugs should be sent to the list first, so here it is.

I stumbled on a quite annoying little bug, given how simple it is, and WHERE it lies:

I was doing some tests on the input-forms.xml file in order to include some new fields and "value-pairs"
Loooong debugging story short:
I was including some <!-- comments --> in order not to get lost,
so I had the "brilliant" idea of being quite "graphical" in separating a few "value-pairs" lists.
Something like this:

<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list----------------------------------->
<!--Value-pairs for 123 list----------------------------------->

And so I got
"Error interno del sistema" aka "Internal System Error"
Every time I tried to describe and submit some new document.

I finally found that these variations give the same error:
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list----------------------------------->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list------------------------------ - -->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list -- -->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -->

While these ones work fine:
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list - -->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list -->
<!--Value-pairs for XYZ list- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -->

So, I think we are apparently not allowed to include comments with more than 1 "-" anywhere inside! :S

Hope this helps someone, and gets corrected some day (obviously, this is easy to work around, but annoying to me).

This happen both
with DSpace 1.8.1 on Windows XP and
with DSpace 1.8.2 on Ubuntu (12.04.1)

Kindest regards,
Nicolas Rucks.

helix84

Aug 26, 2015, 10:16:10 AM8/26/15
to Nicolás Rucks, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Nicolás,

this is part of the XML specification:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-comments

There's nothing to do here, sorry.

Nicolás Rucks

Aug 26, 2015, 10:16:11 AM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
I can see it is quite well documented there:
"For compatibility, the string "--" (double-hyphen) MUST NOT occur within comments."
Sorry for the false report then.

What an interesting XML feature, a restriction on a comment you cannot do...
I guess there are quite serious reasons to do that:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#dt-compat
for compatibility
[Definition: Marks a sentence describing a feature of XML included solely to ensure that XML remains compatible with SGML.]

My mistake.
Nicolas Rucks.

Hamad Dafallah

Aug 26, 2015, 1:27:47 PM8/26/15
to dspace-tech
Hi all,
I have successfully installed Dspace v.4.2 on Windows Laptop but I get this message on JSP Interface under the green bar "Dspace at my university":
{{Internal System Error
The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you were doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can fix the problem}}as well as the default introductory text on XMLUI doesn't appear.
How can fix this problem and what the cause of that.

Hamad Dafallah

Aug 26, 2015, 1:41:04 PM8/26/15
to dspace-tech
After Installing Dspace 4.2 on Ubuntu Desktop 64 bit I get an Internal System Error message

on JSPUI Interface. How can I fix this error
Regards to everyone

--
Hamad Dafallah
     Librarian

karolo...@interia.pl

Aug 26, 2015, 1:41:08 PM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi,

Check /dspace/log/ what is a problem. Many times can be a problem with
permission.
Regards,

Karol

Hamad Dafallah

Aug 26, 2015, 1:41:19 PM8/26/15
to karolo...@interia.pl, dspace-tech
I think the problems with solr:

SolrCore Initialization Failures

    oai: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Cannot create directory: /dspace/solr/oai/data/index
    statistics: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Cannot create directory: /dspace/solr/statistics/data/index
    search: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Cannot create directory: /dspace/solr/search/data/index
How can I fix this?

Hamad Dafallah
     Librarian

Stuart Yeates

Aug 26, 2015, 1:41:21 PM8/26/15
to Hamad Dafallah, karolo...@interia.pl, dspace-tech

That's almost certainly a permissions error. Create the directories manually and make sure that the user tomcat is running as (the user column in 'ps' or 'top') owns the directories and can read and execute all directories between the ones you create and /

cheers

stuart

--
I have a new phone number: 04 463 5692