[Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.5 upgrade and JAR files

Clive Gould

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:23 AM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi

In earlier upgrades of DSpace it was necessary to copy over the PostgreSQL
and Handle server JAR files from the previous version.

The upgrade documentation that comes packaged with DSpace 1.5 doesn't
include this step.

Has the new build process removed the need for this step?

Thanks very much

Clive

Claudia Juergen

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:25 AM8/25/15
to Clive Gould, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Clive,

you're right the new maven based build process takes care of this.

Claudia
> challenge
> prizes
> world

Clive Gould

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:27 AM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi

I've somewhat solved the problem by manually editing the following files
to correct the path to dspace.cfg:

/home/dspace/tomcat/webapps/dspace/WEB-INF/web.xml
/home/dspace/tomcat/webapps/dspace-oai/WEB-INF/web.xml

Tomcat now starts without any errors and I can see our communities and
collections as expected.

However when I try to do a search I get an internal error message
generated and the dspace.log file contains:

2008-08-11 09:45:08,472 WARN
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet @
:session_id=7F6C14A4FE8574EE60C1EC7765568F26:internal_error:-- URL Was:
http://testvle.bromley.a
c.uk/dspace/simple-search?query=photo&submit=Go
-- Method: GET
-- Parameters were:
-- submit: "Go"
-- query: "photo"

An error occurred at line: 234 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
Generated servlet error:
Syntax error on token "<", invalid AssignmentOperator

An error occurred at line: 234 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
Generated servlet error:
Syntax error on token "=", != expected

An error occurred at line: 242 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
Generated servlet error:
Syntax error on token(s), misplaced construct(s)

An error occurred at line: 242 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
Generated servlet error:
Syntax error on token ")", : expected

at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:84)
at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:328)
at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:397)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:288)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)
at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:556)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:293)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

What Have I got wrong now?

Thanks all :)

Clive

> Hi
>
> Can anyone please help?
>
> I'm still trying to upgrade from DSpace 1.4.2 to 1.5.0 on our test server.
>
> I get through the complete upgrade process successfully with no apparent
> error messages but when I go to our repository home page I get the
> following error message within the DSpace main window:
>
> null >
> Internal System Error
> The system has experienced an internal error. Please try to do what you
> were doing again, and if the problem persists, please contact us so we can
> fix the problem.
> Leave a message for the null administrators.
> Go to the DSpace home page
>

> On checking the tomcat log catalina.out it contains the following lines:
>
> INFO: Loading provided config file: ${dspace.dir}/config/dspace.cfg
> FATAL: Can't load configuration: file:/${dspace.dir}/config/dspace.cfg
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /${dspace.dir}/config/dspace.cfg (No such
> file or directory)
>
> I have double checked /home/dspace/config/dspace.cfg and it all appears to
> be correctly and fully completed.
>

> When I do a grep on /home/dspace/config for dspace.dir I get:
>
> [dspace@testvle logs]$ grep -R "dspace.dir" /home/dspace/config/*
> /home/dspace/config/dspace.cfg:dspace.dir = /home/dspace
> /home/dspace/config/dspace.cfg:# log.init.config =
> ${dspace.dir}/config/log4j.xml
> /home/dspace/config/dspace.cfg:# log.init.config =
> ${dspace.dir}/config/log4j-console.properties
> /home/dspace/config/dspace.cfg:#authentication.x509.ca.cert =
> ${dspace.dir}/config/MyClientCA.pem
> /home/dspace/config/templates/apache13.conf: #SSLCertificateFile
> @@dspace.dir@@/etc/https-server-cert.crt
> /home/dspace/config/templates/apache13.conf: SSLCertificateFile
> @@dspace.dir@@/etc/dspace.pem
> /home/dspace/config/templates/apache13.conf: #SSLCertificateKeyFile
> @@dspace.dir@@/etc/https-key.pem
>
> Help please what have I missed??
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Clive

Clive Gould

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:27 AM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Mr Havercamp

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:32 AM8/25/15
to Clive Gould, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

Just to begin with, what version of Java are you running?

Mr Havercamp

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:35 AM8/25/15
Clive Gould wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Thanks for the help so far :)
>
> I include the Tomcat and Java version numbers as requested.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Clive
>

> DSpace 1.4.2 works fine but DSpace 1.5 on the same platform gives internal
> server errors when I try to do a search.
>
> When I try to do a search I get an internal error message generated and
> Versions are as follows:
>
> JAVA:
>
> [root@testvle bin]# /usr/java/jdk/bin/java -version
> java version "1.5.0_04"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode)
>
> TOMCAT:
>
> [root@testvle bin]# ./version.sh
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/dspace/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/dspace/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/dspace/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME: /usr/java/jdk
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.9
> Server built: Mar 26 2005 02:21:04
> Server number: 5.5.9.0
> OS Name: Linux
> OS Version: 2.6.9-67.0.22.ELsmp
> Architecture: i386
> JVM Version: 1.5.0_04-b05
> JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

Is it possible tomcat is running the gcj instead of sun's java?

Just wondering as java -version appears to use the gcj so it's possible
you've got two java distributions running. The fact that it is running
gcj would be consistent with the problems you are experiencing.

If I remember correctly you can change the default java by editing
/etc/jvm and moving the sun java to the top of the list (I'm pretty sure
this is how it is achieved in CentOS so Redhat should be the same).

Hope this helps.

Clive Gould

Clive Gould

Aug 25, 2015, 11:05:39 AM8/25/15
to PAUL A S NEEDHAM, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Paul

Problem SORTed by upgrading to Tomcat 5.5.26

DSpace 1.5 works fine now :)))

Thanks very much indeed

Clive

> Hi Clive
>
> AFAIK the problem is something to do with the Eclipse JDT compiler -
> Tomcat versions 5.5.9 or less won't work as is with DSpace 1.5, versions
> 5.5.10 or greater will...
>
> Cheers
> Paul
>
> Clive Gould <cl...@ce.bromley.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> And you have DSpace 1.5 running fine on the server?
>
> You reckon I may need to upgrade Tomcat??
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive
>

>> Hi Clive
>>
>> It's running java version "1.5.0_01"
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul
>>
>> Clive Gould wrote:
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> Thanks for the prompt reply :)
>>
>> What version of Java are you running?
>>
>> I'm running
>>
>> [root@testvle bin]# /usr/java/jdk/bin/java -version
>> java version "1.5.0_04"
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Clive
>>

>>> Hi Clive
>>>
>>> I think you may need to upgrade to a newer version of Tomcat. I had a
>>> similar issue on my test server - I was running Tomcat 5.5.7 and an
>>> upgrade to version 5.5.26 solved the problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Paul
>>>
>>> Clive Gould wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've somewhat solved the problem by manually editing the following
>>> files
>>> to correct the path to dspace.cfg:
>>>
>>> /home/dspace/tomcat/webapps/dspace/WEB-INF/web.xml
>>> /home/dspace/tomcat/webapps/dspace-oai/WEB-INF/web.xml
>>>
>>> Tomcat now starts without any errors and I can see our communities and
>>> collections as expected.
>>>
>>> However when I try to do a search I get an internal error message

thandu venkat narayana

Aug 25, 2015, 12:26:35 PM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear All,
I installed all required software's for Dspace, but at the time of ant fresh_install I am facing the problem. errer report is : build fail build.xml dos not exist.

Pl help any one
Thanks
Venkat Narayana
Asst Librarian
S.V.Engineeirng College
Suryapet

Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download.