[Dspace-tech] Can't create administrator account after successful install of DSpace 5 RC 3

Alain Tschanz

Aug 26, 2015, 1:46:43 PM8/26/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net

I successfully installed DSpace 5 RC 3 on CentOS 6.5 (x64) when I try to create an administrator account I get the following error message:

./dspace create-administrator
Creating an initial administrator account
E-mail address: joh...@library.org
First name: John
Last name: Doe
Password will not display on screen.
Password:
Again to confirm:
Is the above data correct? (y or n): y
Exception: Error, no admin group (group 1) found
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error, no admin group (group 1) found
    at org.dspace.administer.CreateAdministrator.createAdministrator(CreateAdministrator.java:238)
    at org.dspace.administer.CreateAdministrator.negotiateAdministratorDetails(CreateAdministrator.java:206)
    at org.dspace.administer.CreateAdministrator.main(CreateAdministrator.java:82)
    at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.runOneCommand(ScriptLauncher.java:225)
    at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:77)

Alain Tschanz

Tim Donohue

Aug 26, 2015, 1:47:28 PM8/26/15
to Alain Tschanz, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Alain,

I cannot seem to replicate this error with either an "ant fresh_install"
or an "ant update". It almost sounds like the Database isn't initialized
properly, or the "Administrator" group was accidentally deleted somehow.

Could you send us some more info on how you got this to occur?

* Was this on a "fresh_install", or were you upgrading an existing
version of DSpace? If it was an upgrade, what version of DSpace were you
upgrading from?

* Could you check your logs to see if any other errors are reported in
the DSpace log files themselves? (Especially look for any errors
reported around the time of this "IllegalStateException"...or just
*before* it. This could help give us a clue as to why the Administrator
group (id=1) is missing from your database.)

Thanks for your testing & reporting!

Tim

Chris Gray

Sep 9, 2015, 5:02:03 PM9/9/15
to DSpace Technical Support, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net, atsc...@njstatelib.org
I'm having the same error on a fresh install of DSpace 5.3 after downloading https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases/download/dspace-5.3/dspace-5.3-src-release.zip.  I get no errors until I try to create an administrator.

I've run bin/dspace database migrate (twice, just to be sure).  In psql I see the tables, but the epersongroup table is empty.

Which file in the distribution does the initial population of the database tables?  The last_value of epersongroup_seq is 0, so the first group was never created and it hasn't been deleted.

Chris Gray

Tim Donohue

Sep 9, 2015, 5:15:01 PM9/9/15
to Chris Gray, DSpace Technical Support
Hi Chris,

This is a known issue that occurs when you start Tomcat prior to running 'create-administrator' when doing a fresh install of DSpace 5.x.  It's a "race condition" that only occurs when certain webapps (namely OAI, REST or RDF) load prior to the Administrator group being created.  It's described in more detail here:

https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2408

A fix is already posted at https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1008.  There's also an easy workaround. Simply do the following:
1. Stop Tomcat
2. Clean the database (./dspace database clean)...which resets it to an entirely empty database. (Warning, this will wipe all data from your database, but since this is a fresh install, there shouldn't be anything in there yet)
3. Create the Administrator account first (./dspace create-administrator)
4. Then restart Tomcat

This bug should be fixed in the next release of DSpace.

- Tim

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect
DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org

Chris Gray

Sep 10, 2015, 9:45:03 AM9/10/15
to DSpace Technical Support, cpgr...@gmail.com
Thanks, Tim.

The four steps you listed worked like a charm.

Chris

Arnold Babasa

Jun 15, 2016, 4:26:46 AM6/15/16
to DSpace Technical Support, cpgr...@gmail.com
Thanks Tim. This worked for me as well. I started Tomcat before I could migrate the database or create the administrator. Cheers!

Ayuka Phanuel

Apr 5, 2019, 3:30:08 AM4/5/19
to DSpace Technical Support

The database clean command is disabled by default in dspace 6.x. Enable it first before running the command. And remember to set set is back to true on production which is the default.