[Dspace-tech] SOLR Exception in 1.6.2 : Service Unavailable

Kirti Bodhmage

Aug 26, 2015, 10:20:21 AM8/26/15
to dspace-tech

Hi,

All of a sudden we started to get following exception about SOLR on our live server.

This is causing a very high CPU usage on the server,  displaying server busy error to users.

2013-01-11 13:04:06,715 ERROR org.dspace.statistics.SolrLogger @ Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

request: http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/update

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

request: http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/update

        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:343)

        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:183)

        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.request.UpdateRequest.process(UpdateRequest.java:217)

        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServer.commit(SolrServer.java:85)

        at org.dspace.statistics.SolrLogger.post(SolrLogger.java:247)

        at org.dspace.statistics.SolrLoggerUsageEventListener.receiveEvent(SolrLoggerUsageEventListener.java:41)

        at org.dspace.services.events.SystemEventService.fireLocalEvent(SystemEventService.java:154)

I goggled on this error and found a page from AtMire  http://atmire.com/statistics_performance.php,.

It talks about enabling autocommit.

The settings for autocommit in our solrconfig.xml are commented.

<!-- Perform a <commit/> automatically under certain conditions:

         maxDocs - number of updates since last commit is greater than this

         maxTime - oldest uncommited update (in ms) is this long ago

    <autoCommit>

      <maxDocs>10000</maxDocs>

      <maxTime>1000</maxTime>

    </autoCommit>

    -->

Do we need to enable autocommit  to resolve this error?

Another interesting thing to notice is that  wget on solr url shows an error.

wget  http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/

--2013-01-11 13:18:47--  http://127.0.0.1:8080/solr/statistics/

Connecting to 127.0.0.1:8080... connected.

2013-01-11 13:18:47 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Is there anything missing here?

Thanks

Kirti

helix84

Aug 26, 2015, 10:20:22 AM8/26/15
to Kirti Bodhmage, dspace-tech
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Kirti Bodhmage <k.bod...@qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Do we need to enable autocommit to resolve this error?

According to @mire's page yes, but also note that you need to change
SolrLogger.java.

> Another interesting thing to notice is that wget on solr url shows an
> error.

That is normal. By default, Solr is accessible only from the machine
DSpace runs on [1]. No need to change anything here. For testing
purposes, you acn call wget from the dspace machine.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Solr#Solr-ConnectingtoSolr

Regards,
~~helix84

Kirti Bodhmage

Aug 26, 2015, 10:20:28 AM8/26/15
to dspace-tech
Hi Again,

I saw following error in catalina.err related to SOLR.
I do not know solr technology but do I need to increase maxWarmingSearchers value?

----

Jan 11, 2013 1:42:18 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error opening new searcher. exceeded limit of maxWarmingSearchers=2, try again later.

at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSearcher(SolrCore.java:941)
at org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.commit(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:368)
at org.apache.solr.update.processor.RunUpdateProcessor.processCommit(RunUpdateProcessorFactory.java:77)
at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerUtils.handleCommit(RequestHandlerUtils.java:104)
---

Ta
Kirti

helix84

Aug 26, 2015, 10:20:31 AM8/26/15
to Kirti Bodhmage, dspace-tech
Hi Kirti,

that's just a side-effect of large load on your Solr and enabling
autocommit should solve it. You don't need to worry about it being a
separate issue. More details are here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#What_does_.22exceeded_limit_of_maxWarmingSearchers.3DX.22_mean.3F