Re: [Dspace-tech] Problem with upgrade fromDSpace 1.3.2 to DSpace 1.4

Tim Donohue

Aug 24, 2015, 3:57:35 PM8/24/15
to Clive Gould, dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
Clive,

It sounds like you have a Java servlet or class that didn't upgraded
properly (or perhaps you've made some local customizations to a JSP on
your test server?).

In DSpace 1.3.2 the "dctyperegistry" database table was where all the
various Dublin Core metadata fields were stored. However, in DSpace
1.4, this has been replaced by a combination of the
"metadatafieldregistry" and the "metadataschemaregistry", to allow for
different metadata schemas (other than DC).

So, it sounds like somewhere in your local instance, you still have a
servlet or class which is performing a SQL query against the
"dctyperegistry" table, which no longer exists in 1.4 (hence the error
message).

Probably the best way to locate the problem would be to search all of
your DSpace source code for "dctyperegistry". In Linux, you could just
use "grep":
grep -R "dctyperegistry" *

In 1.4, you should actually NO instances of "dctyperegistry" (except in
the SQL files used to perform the database upgrade to 1.4). So,
anything you find needs to be fixed properly. Chances are if it didn't
upgrade properly, it may have been a local chance you made to 1.3.2.

Another way to resolve the issue would be to turn on debugging in your
[dspace]/config/log4j.properties file. Just change this line:
log4j.rootCategory=INFO, A1
to this:
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1
(don't forget to change it back later, otherwise your log file will grow
very large very quickly)

With debugging turned on, you should get a full log of all executed SQL
queries in your dspace.log. Then, you should be able to locate which
one is still referencing "dctyperegistry".

Hope that helps!
- Tim

Clive Gould wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm just upgrading our test server from DSpace 1.3.2 to DSpace 1.4
>
> All seems to go well and I get our DSpace homepage, but when I click on
> most of the links on the homepage the Internal System error page pops up
> and the following appears in the dspace log:
>

> 2006-08-09 11:51:52,502 INFO org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @
> anonymous:session_id=33A944549556A054BD0049D5D0F5199D:view_community:community_id=4
> 2006-08-09 11:51:52,524 WARN org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @
> anonymous:session_id=33A944549556A054BD0049D5D0F5199D:database_error:org.postgresql.util.PSQLException:
> ERROR: relation "dctyperegistry" does not exist
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "dctyperegistry" does
> not exist
>
> at
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException.parseServerError(PSQLException.java:139)
>

> I followed the upgrade procedure carefully and successfully ran the script
> to update the postgresql database.
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Clive

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
52 Grainger Engineering Library

email: tdon...@uiuc.edu
web: http://ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 244-7809