[Dspace-tech] help needed to connect tomcat to dspace: jspui fails to find dspace config

Andrew Marlow

Aug 25, 2015, 11:24:24 AM8/25/15
to dspac...@lists.sourceforge.net
hello DSpacers,

I am having trouble installing dspace with tomcat. I followed the instructions in the dspace manual but there must be some important step/fact I am overlooking. I hope someone can shed some light please.

In step 8 I tried adding the <context> directives to context.xml instead of copying the webapps stuff over but tomcat did not seem to act on this at all so in desperation I resorted to copying jspui over to webapps. That resulted in tomcat trying to start it up but it failed with this error:

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.commons.digester.Digester).
INFO: Loading provided config file: ${dspace.dir}/config/dspace.cfg
FATAL: Can't load configuration: file:/C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.5/${dspace.dir}/config/dspace.cfg
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\${dspace.dir}\config\dspace.cfg (The system cannot find the path specified)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URL.openStream(Unknown Source)
        at org.dspace.core.ConfigurationManager.loadConfig(ConfigurationManager.java:583)
        at org.dspace.app.util.DSpaceContextListener.contextInitialized(DSpaceContextListener.java:129)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3764)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4216)

By skipping ahead in the dpace manual I find at page 111 that when things are working properly  "org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.LoadDSpaceConfig servlet is always loaded first". But I don't see that here. I think that maybe LoadDSpaceConfig is supposed to wind up defining ${dspace.dir}.

Also the instructions do not seem to say anything about how tomcat is supposed to pick up the several files in the dspace config directory. There is more there than just dspace.cfg. For example there is the log4j config file. Does this config directory need to be copied somewhere?

I am using DSpace 1.5.1, Windoze XP, Tomcat 5.5 and java 5.

--
Regards,

Andrew M.