Hack Rack overflow

Nabil Hanke

Dec 3, 2016, 10:32:43 AM12/3/16
to Area 515
It's overflowing again, so I'm ranting.

Below are the rules I view the rack by.

Rule #1 All contents are fair game. - meaning if it's on the hack rack, no one can dictate how it should be used or not used. If you wish to exert an opinion regarding any contents, take them and make it happen.

Rule #2: Don't overflow the rack.
If you are contributing new things to the rack, make room for it. Cull the rack. Don't bury it with a fortress of crap. Not sure what to cull out? See rule 1. Take it, trash it, do what you feel is best. Just don't make a mess in process.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Tim-S

Dec 3, 2016, 4:23:16 PM12/3/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
"The rules I view the hack rack by"

Note these are in line with general consensus. Don't put anything there that you're attached to. If you see something you want to keep, take it -- it's yours. I have a history of gleefully destroying things I find on the hack rack, sometimes with fire. Literally.

There's been a proposed rule (observed in other hackerspaces) that if you put something on the hack rack, you have to take something. That's not a bad idea to keep things from piling up.

Allan Merz-Rosendale

Dec 4, 2016, 4:11:37 PM12/4/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
My apologies. I have recently contributed without culling what's on the hack rack >.<

Brad Freese

Dec 4, 2016, 4:46:37 PM12/4/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
For what it's worth, I absolutely love the hack rack. For anybody who contributes more than takes, I'm doing my duty to balance you out.
Any chance we could get some more wheel chair motors in?

Allan Merz-Rosendale

Dec 4, 2016, 5:03:35 PM12/4/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I don't think I have any, but one item I left on the hack rack I think should be used in the electronics area, it's a big power supply/bread board proto box thing. My dad built it and I don't have any room for that thing in the apartment.

Jordan Burklund

Dec 4, 2016, 5:13:07 PM12/4/16
to Area 515 Hackerspace
Although I am not officially a member of the space, I can contribute some wheel chair motors to the hack rack.  I am currently in school, but can drop them off over my winter break for anyone who wants them.

--
Jordan Burklund

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Allan Merz-Rosendale <allan.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't think I have any, but one item I left on the hack rack I think should be used in the electronics area, it's a big power supply/bread board proto box thing. My dad built it and I don't have any room for that thing in the apartment.

Jordan

Nabil Hanke

Dec 4, 2016, 5:19:04 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You still have those? Will dobbins of the drone group has a project in mind.

Thank you,
Nabíl
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

That Kid

Dec 4, 2016, 5:23:53 PM12/4/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
java.lang.RackOverflowError

Jordan Burklund

Dec 4, 2016, 5:25:03 PM12/4/16
to Area 515 Hackerspace
Yep, I think I even have one or two complete wheelchairs that just need batteries and new inner tubes.

--
Jordan Burklund

beernutz

Dec 4, 2016, 5:25:51 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Image result for funny java exceptions

beernutz

Dec 4, 2016, 5:28:41 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Darnit.  Lets try that again:
Inline image 1

Nabil Hanke

Dec 4, 2016, 5:33:13 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Allan, don't take it personally. I'm glad you stepped forward to claim it, but that's not the point. As I said, I was ranting. Not because of your actions, but out of past frustrations of my own. Thank you for demonstrating greater maturity than I did. My apologies if you felt offended in the slightest.

What you contributed is quite cool and is PERFECT contribution to the hack rack. It demonstrates the spirit of the hack rack - of offering something useful to others now that it's not so useful to you.

But it has had a history of being treated as a dump pile, and as such, failed in its purpose and turned into something quite different. There in lies my past frustrations.

I really just ask that everyone be diligent in keeping it useful and tidy.

Again, Allan, I'm sorry if I hurt or offended you. That was not my intent.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Allan Merz-Rosendale

Dec 4, 2016, 6:08:39 PM12/4/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
No offense taken! I was just worried about contributing to a Maelstrom of unfinished projects. I know things can get out of hand in a hurry.