Space destruction/construction

Tim-S

Jun 3, 2015, 11:00:42 AM6/3/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
So, I have a small construction project in progress. I have torn out the useless cabinet in the back area and will re-use that space for storage. The long term plan is to move shelving there, freeing up space to move the CNC router where the shelves currently are (and putting an extra workbench where the router is now).

I could use a little help, especially when it comes time to move shelving, and I need some materials.

I have:
 - Matching tile to finish the floor (thanks, Ward, for noticing it)
 - Matching paint for the walls
 - Tile adhesive
 - Drywall screws
 - Mud

I need:
 - A scrap of underlayment
 - 2 half sheets (or just one sheet) of drywall
 - Grout. Preferably gray sand grout so it sort-of matches.
 - Drywall tape. Don't ask why I have screws and mud but no tape.

Does anyone have some leftover construction materials sitting around so we don't have to buy as much?

Jeffz

Jun 3, 2015, 11:06:04 AM6/3/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I think i have a bunch of drywall tape, will check.

digge...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2015, 6:18:36 PM6/3/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
We could use Jeff's drywall tape to turn you into a mummy.  Everybody needs a mummy.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

digge...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2015, 6:18:44 PM6/3/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I can clap for you! Will that be enough?
Might even be able to work up a cheer.  But my heavy lifting days are sadly, over.

Jeffz

Jun 4, 2015, 1:54:13 AM6/4/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I checked my supply and have 4 rolls of 2 inch by 150 feet fiberglass mesh drywall tape, will try and drop them off tomorrow or Friday. (if needed thursday can make sure to do it then)

Benjamin Miller

Jun 4, 2015, 8:31:30 AM6/4/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
If you use mesh tape, be sure to use hot mud (setting-type compound).  It is not strong enough to use with all purpose and not crack everywhere.  DAMHIKT

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery, In Design

Tim-S

Jun 4, 2015, 9:41:23 AM6/4/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeff! I don't need very much, if one of the rolls has already been opened that would be perfect. Otherwise I guess I'll open one :-)

Ben, I know that people who are good at mudding drywall prefer solid tape. I'm not good at mudding drywall and prefer the mesh. Yes, I use hot mud.

Tim-S

Jun 4, 2015, 7:37:48 PM6/4/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to ask: Does anyone have a wet saw I can borrow for cutting tile? If not it's not a huge deal, I can borrow my Dad's, but he does not live in DSM and it'd delay the project until I see him next.

Jeffz

Jun 4, 2015, 7:43:52 PM6/4/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
You can borrow one of mine, I have a light use one and a heavy duty one. heavy duty I don't have a stand on so would have to put it on a table, can be messy!

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
I forgot to ask: Does anyone have a wet saw I can borrow for cutting tile? If not it's not a huge deal, I can borrow my Dad's, but he does not live in DSM and it'd delay the project until I see him next.

Jeffz

Jun 5, 2015, 4:10:20 AM6/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
put the tape on the bench with the screws in back

Jeffz

Jun 5, 2015, 4:26:17 AM6/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I can also donate the light duty one to the space if people think it could be of use there, i don't use it since I got my heavy duty one :D

Tim-S

Jun 5, 2015, 10:44:32 AM6/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I could use it for the current project, thanks! I don't know whether the space would use it in general. You're usually the only one who does stuff with tile.

Jeffz

Jun 5, 2015, 7:04:37 PM6/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
i can get it packed up in the car tonight to drop off for you tomorrow eve.

Jeffz

Jun 6, 2015, 4:57:12 AM6/6/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
didn't get a chance to get it there tonight to load it but can load it later today.
let me know if you have a timeline to need it, Sunday is most conveinient but can go get it bring it saturday if planned for it.

Tim-S

Jun 6, 2015, 10:14:55 AM6/6/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
No worries, I don't have a specific timeline. Appreciate the loaner!

Tim-S

Jun 9, 2015, 12:41:06 AM6/9/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I got side tracked tonight and will be working on tile and possibly painting the wal during the open house tomorrow. I will put off the painting as long as possible so hopefully it gets done late (I know some people are sensitive to the smell).

There is a group meeting Wednesday to start planning what it will take to get the cnc router built up. It would be amazing if we can make room to move the router before then. This means I will need help sorting through all the stuff in the back area. In particular the AV equipment, various wheels and motors, and random supplies cannot be sitting in the middle of the floor. You don't want me to be the only one sorting through this stuff. I tend to throw away anything that does not look useful.

Don Cady

Jun 9, 2015, 7:18:52 PM6/9/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

There is a group meeting Wednesday to start planning what it will take to get the cnc router built up. It would be amazing if we can make room to move the router before then. This means I will need help sorting through all the stuff in the back area. In particular the AV equipment, various wheels and motors, and random supplies cannot be sitting in the middle of the floor. You don't want me to be the only one sorting through this stuff. I tend to throw away anything that does not look useful.

Ha! I was just thinking of doing this, thinking "Has enough time passed that we won't jinx Poseidon?". So I’ll pitch in.
Dave! : If you're not there, what do you want done with the stuff marked "not tested yet" ?

Don

David Champion

Jun 9, 2015, 7:33:32 PM6/9/15
to dsmhackerspace
1. Test. 2. It. 3. Test It.

I'm planning to be there shortly.

-dc

David Champion

Jun 9, 2015, 9:12:28 PM6/9/15
to dsmhackerspace
The 2nd amp appears to power up, but the volume knob is broken, so it's junk.

I think we'll just scrap the other CD and DVD players.

-dc