3D Scanning Booth - Can I borrow newer Kinect sensor?

Brad Freese

Jul 24, 2016, 1:01:10 PM7/24/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I have a very old Kinect sensor bar (version 1, model 1414) that I've been meaning to make into a 3D scanner for a long time. The Mini Maker Fair is the perfect excuse to do it.  I'm researching options and it looks like Windows 10 has it's own nifty little free app (called "3D Scan") for making 3D models with the Kinect sensor. Unfortunately when I plug in my Kinect sensor the app doesn't work.  This "3D Scan" app has zero documentation, but it looks like I might need a new Microsoft connector to plug the sensor in correctly and I also might need a newer version of the Kinect sensor bar itself.

Does anyone have a newer version of the Kinect sensor that I could borrow until after the Maker Fair?

I'll get the new Windows connector, but I'm not ready to buy a new Kinect sensor bar as well.

Btw, I know my v1 sensor works (because I've used it with my ancient MacBook but never made any models with it), and right now I'm connecting the sensor to my computer using an old 3rd party connector that probably isn't supported by Windows 10.

Thanks!

Brad Freese

Jul 27, 2016, 10:24:23 PM7/27/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Does anybody have a Kinect sensor they'd be willing to let me borrow? Pretty please with C12H22O11 on top?

Tim-S

Jul 27, 2016, 10:41:52 PM7/27/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Paging Sean ... he was playing with one for awhile, don't know if he'd lend it out.

Bailey Mader

Jul 27, 2016, 10:42:02 PM7/27/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'd ask to grab the one at my house, but it's the same model as yours. :(