Pressure washer

Don Cady

Mar 7, 2018, 10:27:31 PM3/7/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ok, most of the time I keep quiet about this sort of thing, at least on this list. But..

Who cut off the power cord and removed the custom made water hose from the space's power washer?

Don

Chris Johnson

Mar 8, 2018, 5:58:02 PM3/8/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I would also like to hear about this. If you did this, at least tell us why.

David Champion

Mar 8, 2018, 6:01:59 PM3/8/18
to dsmhackerspace
Just my opinion: I think a good general rule would be, if something is broken, please contact the area tool steward or a board member before trying to fix it. Doubly so if you want to modify working equipment.

The stuff in the hack-rack area is pretty much fair game, people have put that there because they no longer want it.

If you're not sure, just ask.

-dc

Ray Scheufler

Mar 8, 2018, 6:14:50 PM3/8/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I'd also be curious what happened to it. I suspect that it was mistakenly identified as being party of the hack rack. Within the last couple of weeks i made a comment wondering why there was a pressure washer next to the hack rack. I didn't realize it was functional. Perhaps we need some kind of sticker / label for big things that are for the hack rack but don't fit and we make it more explicit that only things on the rack or clearly marked are hackable and otherwise ask before you dismember.

As a bit of a tangent, I have a pressure washer and if someone / the space needs to borrow it on a short term basis, let me know and we can probably work something out.

Ray Scheufler

Tim-S

Mar 8, 2018, 7:33:55 PM3/8/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
For clarification, the pressure washer WAS perfectly functional. I had it apart, cleaned the valves, and replaced a missing female->female hose adapter. It worked fine when I returned it to the space. I believe pieces were cut / removed before it was put on the hack rack.

I second what David said.

Ray Scheufler

Mar 8, 2018, 8:07:31 PM3/8/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
It wasn't on the hack rack perse. Just sitting next to it, I couldn't tell if it was part of the rack spilling out or if it happened to be sitting there.

Ray Scheufler

Ben Brown

Mar 9, 2018, 8:13:47 PM3/9/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I did. I took it to the back to use it. It worked for three minutes, then sputtered, made an awful noise, and quit. A bunch of dirty oil leaked out all over the floor, and then it wouldn't do anything at all. I suspect that's why the original owner so profanely abandoned it in the first place. I can bring the hose and cord back in from the garage.

Kai

Mar 12, 2018, 12:06:41 PM3/12/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Think a simple tag instead of a specific area for hack stuff is a good idea.

Cheap and easy way, painters tape (wrap around, not just stick on) with the word "Hack".
Kai e'Kael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

David Champion

Mar 12, 2018, 12:47:53 PM3/12/18
to dsmhackerspace
I think the lesson is: some kind of communication on things like this would be good, either via email, or put a note on the broken thing saying it broke. We all know things break, no big deal.

Maybe we should do a teardown on the pressure washer, see what died on it. Might be fun.

-dc

x x

Mar 13, 2018, 5:11:38 AM3/13/18
to dsmhackerspace
I believe I have at least one broken pressure washer I can let you guys dissect.

Don Cady

Mar 13, 2018, 11:38:32 PM3/13/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we should plan better with the next location...  ?
An area that's clearly separate from tools or other storage would lower the instances of 'mistakenly identified'. But we won't be gaining additional sq footage. Hmm, we'll have to ponder the layout some more.

Don

Kai

Mar 14, 2018, 8:19:56 AM3/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Still makes more sense to depend on tagging. If not tagged, don't hack. Granted, they should be in the same area, but stuff happens. Worst case, a tag falls off.
Kai e'Kael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

kristau

Mar 14, 2018, 8:59:07 AM3/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
How about a large roll of cheap stickers that say "Hack This!"
--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night