Problem with the laptop by the 3D printers

celeste moreno

Aug 19, 2017, 4:47:03 PM8/19/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Mainly an FYI for Chris/Ray? Not sure who's responsible for the laptop by the 3D Printers.

I was in the middle of slicing something and the computer went to a blue screen, can't remember what it said, sorry. Bailey and I shut it down and I haven't touched it since.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 19, 2017, 4:53:04 PM8/19/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
That laptop had driver issues. It occasionally crashes.

Ray Scheufler

On Aug 19, 2017 3:47 PM, "celeste moreno" <celeste.ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mainly an FYI for Chris/Ray? Not sure who's responsible for the laptop by the 3D Printers.

I was in the middle of slicing something and the computer went to a blue screen, can't remember what it said, sorry. Bailey and I shut it down and I haven't touched it since.

Zeke Egherman

Aug 19, 2017, 4:54:33 PM8/19/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
The computer shutting down is a problem I've had frequently when using that laptop. I've never had the blue screen, though. I've diagnosed it to a problem with the graphics card settings.

On Aug 19, 2017 3:47 PM, "celeste moreno" <celeste.ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mainly an FYI for Chris/Ray? Not sure who's responsible for the laptop by the 3D Printers.

I was in the middle of slicing something and the computer went to a blue screen, can't remember what it said, sorry. Bailey and I shut it down and I haven't touched it since.

Zeke Egherman

Aug 19, 2017, 4:55:37 PM8/19/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Oh also: in my opinion, it should be fine to keep using it and just turn it back on,  but I would get confirmation with Ray or Chris that that's OK with them first.

On Aug 19, 2017 3:54 PM, "Zeke Egherman" <ze...@egherman.com> wrote:
The computer shutting down is a problem I've had frequently when using that laptop. I've never had the blue screen, though. I've diagnosed it to a problem with the graphics card settings.

Zeke Egherman

Aug 19, 2017, 4:59:23 PM8/19/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
And another thing, I'm (potentially) thinking about giving back to the space and buying a new laptop for the printers. Just a low power ThinkPad will work for slicing I think

Bailey Steinfadt

Zeke Egherman

Aug 19, 2017, 6:57:14 PM8/19/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
alright. if not, id love to at least to pitch in a little if not buy the whole thing. would only be like 120

On Aug 19, 2017 3:47 PM, "celeste moreno" <celeste.rosemary.moreno@gmail.com> wrote:
Mainly an FYI for Chris/Ray? Not sure who's responsible for the laptop by the 3D Printers.

I was in the middle of slicing something and the computer went to a blue screen, can't remember what it said, sorry. Bailey and I shut it down and I haven't touched it since.

string "firstName" == Zeke;
string "lastName" == Egherman;
string "fullName" == stringbuilder.concatenate (firstName,lastName);
Console.WriteLine("From," /n + fullName);
Console.Read();

From Zeke Egherman, developer of Lenny Face For youTRHSroundup.com, and more!

Don Cady

Aug 20, 2017, 12:29:18 AM8/20/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I've looked at it. This is not the same problem as before. It may be related/connected, a result of the previous problem's degradation, but it's not the exact same.
It will not boot. It will not turn the display on. It doesn't even get to the display-the-bios-logo-as-it-loads-bios stage. The diagnostic lights indicate the super-helpful "System board error".
I can open it up and spend a little more time on it tomorrow, but if that doesn't work the options are limited.

Don

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Zeke Egherman <ze...@egherman.com> wrote:
The computer shutting down is a problem I've had frequently when using that laptop. I've never had the blue screen, though. I've diagnosed it to a problem with the graphics card settings.

Tim-S

Aug 20, 2017, 11:19:07 AM8/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Does that computer need to be a laptop? We have a couple unused desktops sitting in the back. One of them should work for now.

Bailey Steinfadt

Aug 20, 2017, 11:20:39 AM8/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

I have a monitor sitting around we can use for it, too.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017, 10:19 Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does that computer need to be a laptop? We have a couple unused desktops sitting in the back. One of them should work for now.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 20, 2017, 11:29:47 AM8/20/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
There is also the other laptop. I believe that only the big laptop has issues. I think the small one is just fine.

Can someone bring an empty 2.5" external hard drive enclosure on Tuesday? I may have an enclosure but im not sure. I will setup a different computer for slicing and would like to recover the custom profiles that people created.

Ray Scheufler

On Aug 20, 2017 10:20 AM, "Bailey Steinfadt" <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a monitor sitting around we can use for it, too.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017, 10:19 Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does that computer need to be a laptop? We have a couple unused desktops sitting in the back. One of them should work for now.

Don Cady

Aug 20, 2017, 7:53:05 PM8/20/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
It is not required that it is a laptop. In fact, Digger had talked about setting up a dedicated desktop for the task after the move (when there was to be more space cordoned for 3D printing..).
However, those unused desktops in the back are older. They are Core2 based (don't remember exactly) and non-windows (which ~may be a problem for some trained users), while the laptop they are replacing has a 1st generation i7 and Windows. The other laptop sitting by the 3d printers Ray mentioned is a latitude with a 1st generation i5 and Windows.
Slicing is a little like compiling, relatively computationally intensive and takes less time the more compute you put behind it.
Tom has mentioned in the past he could get other desktops.

Don