Rigol Scope

Ray Scheufler

Jan 9, 2017, 2:24:05 PM1/9/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Yesterday at the member meeting during the tools discussion I mentioned getting a proper oscilloscope.  It sounded like there was a fair amount of interesting in getting one.

The scope that I feel is best for our group is a Rigol ds1054z.  It is a pretty basic 4 channel digital scope but it can do many things that the old analog scopes just can't.  It has a fast enough sample rate an analog front end to handle most things we would work on.  It has the ability to trigger and hold memory to allow you to scroll around the past.  It can do some math (including FFT) on the waveforms.  It can save screenshots to USB stick.

This scope costs $400.  I requested a quote from Rigol and they said they could give us a 5% discount.  When you add shipping back in, we are back to $397.

https://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/1000z/

This will be a tool that requires certification before use because there are some dumb things that you can do to break it and you won't get much value out of a scope unless you know what you are doing but will not have any training fee since there should be no maintainence on the tool.

Do we have members that are willing to contrubute towards the purchase of this scope?

Ray Scheufler

Brad Freese

Jan 9, 2017, 3:21:44 PM1/9/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Due to the price count me in for $20

Tim-S

Jan 9, 2017, 4:43:48 PM1/9/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm in for $20.

Bailey Steinfadt

Jan 24, 2017, 10:33:38 PM1/24/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'll pledge $60.

Matthew Gidel

Jan 26, 2017, 4:08:37 PM1/26/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm in for $50

Kalyan Mysore

Jan 26, 2017, 6:24:47 PM1/26/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm not officially a member. If I may still contribute, please consider me for upto $50 depending on how much shortfall you end up with if any. I would also be interested in getting certified.

-Kalyan.

Ray Scheufler

Feb 23, 2017, 4:53:41 PM2/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Sorry there haven't been any updates to this in a while.  My life got busy with robots.

I have donated money to the space and with my company match and everyone else's pledges we have an excess of money.  I have also gotten an offer for a cheaper used scope ds1052e (2 channel 50Mhz) that we would have enough money to also purchase.  Just wondering what people that have pledged want to see done with the excess.  There has also been some discussion about getting more soldering tools.

I am not sure on the status of my donation or the match.  I don't know how long it will take to process.  Just wanted to provide an update and ask for opinions.

Ray Scheufler

Bailey Steinfadt

Feb 23, 2017, 5:13:08 PM2/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'd like to see more of the variable temp soldering irons, cleaning mesh and wood for the kit carriers purchased.

JD has proved slow with sending matching funds. Not sure when they'll come.

Tim-S

Feb 28, 2017, 8:35:33 PM2/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Money arrived in our PO box! I'll ask Meg tomorrow if we can get this ordered.