Air conditioning

Ray Scheufler

Jul 24, 2015, 8:59:54 PM7/24/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
The space is finally inhabitable.  The air conditioning feels to be working.  It isn't cold in the front room but it is defiantly cooler than outside.  When I came in I didn't feel the need to turn on a fan (other than the vent fan to reduce the smell of stale smoke).

Ray Scheufler

Chris Johnson

Jul 24, 2015, 10:00:07 PM7/24/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space, dr.bob....@gmail.com
That is welcome news

Don Cady

Aug 5, 2015, 3:16:58 PM8/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

is defiantly cooler than outside.  When I came in I didn't feel the need to turn on a fan (other than the vent fan to reduce the smell of stale smoke).

I've wondered about this. Whenever (random times, random reasons) we've replaced the furnace/AC filter, the old one is covered in brown.. like there is more tar going through those filters than dust. Knowing the intakes are covered in old tar-dust crud, I still ask: Where is this coming from? The rest of the building? The walls? Is it coated on the inside of the ducting?
What can be done about it? If the ducting were all replaced would it still be there, having been soaked in the walls all these years?

Don

Bailey Mader

Aug 5, 2015, 3:20:21 PM8/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Having worked in a bar before smoking bans... all of the above. It will go THROUGH the walls eventually, which is probably why we smell old smoke sometimes when we come in.

We could request a duct cleaning, no bets on whether they'll actually do it.

Jeffrey Ollie

Aug 5, 2015, 4:05:37 PM8/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
I think that Terrus owes us something, after the AC being down for a week plus during some of the hottest weather we've had this year...
--
Jeff Ollie

Bailey Mader

Aug 5, 2015, 4:09:02 PM8/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
There's also no guarantee it'll make anything better for more than a day or two. That building will breathe smoke out the walls for years even if everyone in the building stops smoking immediately.

Don Cady

Aug 5, 2015, 4:18:15 PM8/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I just wondered.
Any sort of cleaning that reduces the amount of @$~^ in the air would be welcome, but I'm afraid with this building and management company we should prioritize other items first. :/

Don

Ray Scheufler

Aug 5, 2015, 4:41:58 PM8/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I recommend keeping all the ceiling tiles in place and keeping the door to the server closet / light switches closed.  I have noticed that when I come in and all the tiles are in place and that closet is closed the air isn't too bad.  If some tiles are out of place or the closet is open (the closet doesn't have tiles) then we get smoke from the apartments above.

Ray Scheufler

David Champion

Aug 5, 2015, 4:44:32 PM8/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
Nothing about 100 cases of expanding foam cans wouldn't fix.

-dc

Tim-S

Aug 5, 2015, 6:28:54 PM8/5/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Is everyone saying I should stop smoking in the space?

...kidding. Probably.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 5, 2015, 7:07:19 PM8/5/15
to Area515

Just please keep the smoking contained to electronics only. After all, that there smoke is magic!

Benjamin Miller

Aug 6, 2015, 12:54:51 PM8/6/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You could probably paint the walls with a shellac-based primer or sealer (B-I-N is my favorite).  I have successfully used that to seal cat urine, so it probably would also keep the smoke damage in the walls.  It's commonly used on framing after house fires.

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery, In Design

Bailey Mader

Aug 6, 2015, 1:02:10 PM8/6/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Problems would still be painting the ceiling, isolating the ducts, and convincing all the residents to quit smoking.

Old building full of smokers isn't going to be not a problem until we aren't in  an old building full of smokers.

David Champion

Aug 6, 2015, 1:24:21 PM8/6/15
to dsmhackerspace
If you look above the suspended ceiling, there are lots of holes in the old plaster that just let the smoke fumes from the apartments above through. Nothing we do will stop that.

-dc

Ray Scheufler

Aug 6, 2015, 1:51:02 PM8/6/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
That is why I strongly encourage everyone to leave the tiles in the ceiling and the closet closed.  It doesn't fix the problem but it helps.

Ray Scheufler