Silly electric vehicle class

Ray Scheufler

May 18, 2018, 6:41:45 PM5/18/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Would anyone be interested in a class on how to design a silly electric vehicle? It would cover the different options there are for motors, motor controllers, and batteries. It would also cover some  basic system design (motor and wiring sizing).

It would probably be an hour or so, lots of opportunities to have q&a and delve into specific projects.

I'm not sure when I would have it, just want to gauge interest first. It is possible that this could just be the subject of one of the upcoming electronics nights.

Ray Scheufler

Taylor King

May 18, 2018, 6:43:38 PM5/18/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yup, sign me up!

Brad Freese

May 19, 2018, 10:16:45 PM5/19/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
***Sound of me jumping up and down excitedly***
Yes, please!!!

Ray Scheufler

May 19, 2018, 10:49:49 PM5/19/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Glad you are excited about the class. I was planning on seeing if you would be willing to record the class.

Ray Scheufler

On Sat, May 19, 2018, 6:16 PM Brad Freese <bradley...@gmail.com> wrote:
***Sound of me jumping up and down excitedly***
Yes, please!!!

Bailey Steinfadt

May 19, 2018, 10:52:09 PM5/19/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You are more than welcome to hijack Arduino/Microcontroller/Electronics/Robot night if you'd like.

David Champion

May 19, 2018, 11:15:20 PM5/19/18
to dsmhackerspace
I would like to attend.

-dc

Brad Freese

Ray Scheufler

Chris Johnson

May 20, 2018, 11:33:25 AM5/20/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please.

Ray Scheufler

Jun 8, 2018, 11:05:05 AM6/8/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Here is a doodle poll.  I'll see when people think is best and then actually schedule the class.

Ray Scheufler

Yes, please.

Ray Scheufler

Jun 16, 2018, 2:50:57 PM6/16/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I've gotten 5 responses with 4 votes for the 24th from 1-3 so that is when the class will be. I guess now I'll have to actually get working on slides.

Ray Scheufler

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018, 10:04 AM Ray Scheufler <dr.bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a doodle poll.  I'll see when people think is best and then actually schedule the class.

Ray Scheufler
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Chris Johnson <digge...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, please.

On Fri, May 18, 2018, 5:41 PM Ray Scheufler <dr.bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in a class on how to design a silly electric vehicle? It would cover the different options there are for motors, motor controllers, and batteries. It would also cover some  basic system design (motor and wiring sizing).

It would probably be an hour or so, lots of opportunities to have q&a and delve into specific projects.

I'm not sure when I would have it, just want to gauge interest first. It is possible that this could just be the subject of one of the upcoming electronics nights.

Ray Scheufler

Brandon Hart

Jun 16, 2018, 10:34:14 PM6/16/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Is this a members-only type of thing, or can non-members attend?

Ray Scheufler

Jun 16, 2018, 10:52:00 PM6/16/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I'm fine with non members attending. My primary goal is to give enough detail and terminology so that someone could piece together a thing. It is all going to be lecture / discussion so the more the merrier.

Ray Scheufler

Brandon Hart

Jun 16, 2018, 10:56:24 PM6/16/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Great!  I'll definitely try to be there.  I have been collecting various random batteries, motors, etc. in the hopes of one day putting together a junkyard Go Kart.  This sounds like a great discussion.

-Brandon

David Champion

Jun 16, 2018, 11:29:42 PM6/16/18
to dsmhackerspace
JoAnne and I are planning to attend.

-dc

Brad Freese

Ray Scheufler

Tim-S

Jun 23, 2018, 1:08:00 PM6/23/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I have a camera that might work. It's a still camera but it can shoot video. I also have a tripod.

Unrelated note, thanks to the people who cleaned the space! I was down there Thursday night to tidy up but realized the security system wasn't working right and ended up spending time fixing that instead of cleaning up.

Ray Scheufler

Jun 25, 2018, 10:15:56 AM6/25/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Here are the slides from the class.  They aren't very clean but they are something.

David Champion