Plastic Vacuum Former Project

Brad Freese

Oct 31, 2017, 3:21:09 PM10/31/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Does anybody know who is in charge of / leading the effort to finish Nabil's plastic vacuum former?

I'm willing to help whoever is in charge, or even take over the project myself if nobody claims it. I can't promise I'd be very speedy or effective, but I'd like to give it a shot.
Cheers!

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 31, 2017, 3:51:17 PM10/31/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I have notes I took talking to Matt, but I'll have to go find them since I shortly after took on too many other things. Also willing to help out with it.

Zeke Egherman

Ryan Renze

Oct 31, 2017, 6:25:18 PM10/31/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm willing to help too if you need anything.

Brad Freese

Nov 1, 2017, 12:19:35 PM11/1/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Awesome! I think the next step going forward is to plan how to finish it so we know what materials we need.

Bailey, if you get a chance to find those notes it would be awesome.

I remember Nabil saying the design was a hybrid of plans he purchased online and an Adam Savage build. I emailed him asking where he got the plans, but in the mean time I'll try and look online.

I'll also try and post pictures of what is already made so we know where we are in the project. If anybody can already draw up the plans to finish it please contribute! :)

Brad Freese

Nov 6, 2017, 12:02:40 PM11/6/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Here is what we have currently assembled. I apologize for how bad these photos are, the thing is in the garage right now and there isn't much light.

In addition to making the basic frame it looks like some progress has been made on the heating element up top. Also, Nabil told me where he got the plans from and I purchased a copy. There's a lot of detail in them which is good. Unfortunately the copyright on them doesn't allow me to share them so collaborating on this project will be tricky.

David Champion

Nov 6, 2017, 12:04:58 PM11/6/17
to dsmhackerspace
If the Maker Space owns the plans, can't we share that with members of the group for the purposes of building this?

-dc

Brad Freese

Nov 6, 2017, 12:17:19 PM11/6/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
That's the problem, I just bought the plans myself with the intention of giving them to the space. It wasn't until after I received them that I saw the copyright notice specifying that the plans are not transferable. I'm pretty sure that's why Nabil didn't just send me his.

I suppose I could've done an In for $10 to have the space buy them but they're $60 and I didn't think I'd need to hassle with it.

David Champion

Nov 6, 2017, 12:20:28 PM11/6/17
to dsmhackerspace
You could contact them and explain the situation, they may be willing to allow it in this case.

-dc

Kai

Nov 18, 2017, 7:41:15 PM11/18/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I didn't read this earlier. As far as copyright and not transferable, what is the exact wording?

Plain "copyright, not transferable" simple says the copyright can't transfer to another entity. That does not mean you can't share the document with anyone or even sell if it you wish. Restriction is the same as a book, you can't make copies and sell them.

If there's a license AND you agreed to it that states you can't "transfer", then transfer needs a good definition. :)

Kai e'Kael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.