3D Printing Meetups

Brandon Hart

Jul 18, 2016, 10:16:51 PM7/18/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
This will be our thread for communicating meetup dates and times, suggesting topics, and asking questions.  Feel free to throw out any thoughts you have and maybe it will turn into our next meetup topic!

Tim-S

Jul 18, 2016, 10:41:30 PM7/18/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks, Brandon and Robert, for hosting!

The next meetup is currently on our calendar for Monday, August 15. Hope it's as lively as tonight's was.

Brandon Hart

Jul 18, 2016, 10:41:44 PM7/18/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks everyone for coming out to our first 3D Printing Meetup!

We had a great turnout, and attendees with all levels of experience and a lot of really great discussion, much of which we will build upon for future meetups.  Please mark your calendars for the 3rd Monday of each month so we can continue the conversations!

-Brandon

Robert Johnson

Jul 20, 2016, 1:16:19 PM7/20/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
At the last 3D printer club someone mentioned helpful links to have so i am building a list: Everyone add your own favorite 3D printer information links !

Lots of information here: especially the glossary of terms and firmware downloads
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

Marlin Firmware: (someone mentioned needing info on this firmware in particular)
http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin

3D Printing News:
http://www.3ders.org/

Open Source 3D printer Kits and Printers:
http://openbuilds.org/

Ray Scheufler

Jul 20, 2016, 1:27:52 PM7/20/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I'm always referencing gcode information so here are a couple of good links
http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code - Has specific information about print esoteric commands
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode.html - quick reference
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/overview.html - detailed linuxcnc gcode information
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-code.html - separate mcode information

Ray Scheufler

Bailey Mader

Jul 20, 2016, 1:29:57 PM7/20/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Would someone mind adding those to the wiki so it's easier to find in the future?

Mike Longnecker

Jul 20, 2016, 2:51:08 PM7/20/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
https://ohai.lulzbot.com This is all stuff for Lulzbot printers, but if someones building a from-scratch TAZ or the like its very useful (I used it with mine)
http://download.lulzbot.com All the source files for lulzbot printers (and some parts they remixed from other printers)
https://www.lulzbot.com/store The lulzbot store is a decent place to buy parts
http://forum.seemecnc.com/index.php The SeeMeCNC forum is a good place for troubleshooting their printers
http://forums.reprap.org/index.php Good place for general RepRap discussion
http://openbuildspartstore.com A good place to buy extrusions and some specialty stuff
https://ultimachine.com Good PLA filament, they also make the RAMBo and MiniRAMBo controllers
http://www.ultibots.com Quite a bit of delta parts, and they sell a few kits. One of the best places to buy decent GT2 belt on the cheap that I’ve found
http://www.tridprinting.com Mini Kossel kit parts. They also sell good geared stepper motors and several kapton bed heaters
http://www.panucatt.com Several specialty printer/CNC controllers. They also sell some nice 32x drivers that fit into pololu sockets that can handle 2A or so
https://www.think3dprint3d.com Old website for the duet, IMO the best 32 bit RepRap controller. You can buy the old Duet 0.8.5 and related stuff here
https://www.duet3d.com New site for the duet. You can preorder the new DuetWifi here (I got a beta board and its quite nice)
https://www.proto-pasta.com Several unique filaments can be bought here
http://e3d-online.com Makers of the E3D hotend. They also sell filament, misc printer parts, and a couple other hotend designs they make
http://www.filastruder.com Makers of the Filastruder filament extruder. They also are official US resellers of E3D hotends and Duet electronics boards
http://repables.com SeeMeCNC’s stl host site (like thingiverse)
https://www.youmagine.com Ultimaker’s stl host site

Not all of these are reference sites (a lot of them are places to buy things), but they still might be useful. Theres at least 5 more places that I can’t think of right now.

Brandon Hart

Jul 20, 2016, 5:54:48 PM7/20/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
A lot of the other online resources that Ray, Robert, and Mike have provided are good if you are building a printer or looking for replacement parts.  So I've listed a bunch that are good for working with 3D Files, preparing models for printing, or learning about 3D Printing.

3DHubs' Guide to 3D Printing - Great overview of the different types of 3D Printing, what it's good for, and the history behind it.

Netfabb Cloud - Free model repair service.

Autodesk MeshMixer - Free and powerful tool for altering and fixing STLs.

Adafruit Layer by Layer - Excellent how-to videos for using Autodesk Fusion 360 to make real things

Thingiverse - The biggest online 3D Printing file repository on the Internets.  Not everything is great, but a lot of it is!

Don Cady

Jul 21, 2016, 12:30:44 AM7/21/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Ditto what Bailey said.
Information in a thread like this will be 'lost' in 2-4 months, while people will still be asking the same questions in the same time. Forums and mailing lists are ephemeral and not a good place for semi-permanent resource like this. Also, giving an in-person answer of something like "look on https://area515.org/wiki/index.php/3D_Printer_tips * " is better than "the answer is in the thread at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dsmhackerspace/mGr7nsD6nAQ"

*just an example, name the page whatever you want.

Don

beernutz

Jul 21, 2016, 10:29:48 AM7/21/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I have gone ahead and started the Wiki page at  https://area515.org/wiki/index.php/3D_Printer_tips

I added the links that I saw in this chain.  Please double check me though, as I may have missed some.

Thanks for the list and 3D printing support!

Don Cady

Jul 21, 2016, 9:06:26 PM7/21/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Wow thanks for doing that Scott, I'd forgotten you still had access. :p

Don

beernutz

Jul 21, 2016, 9:07:12 PM7/21/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I am kind of a professional lurker these days.  8)

Brandon Hart

Aug 12, 2016, 12:24:23 PM8/12/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Ok everyone, let's throw out some ideas for the 3D Printing meetup on Monday evening!  Here are some ideas that I'm open to, but I'd prefer to talk about what everyone else wants to cover as well!  Each of the topics below could be its own meetup.

Materials - What types of materials are there, what are the differences, and how to print with them.
Support - Where to use it, what type to use, settings for using it, special support material (with dual extruders), and print cleanup after removal.
Finishing - ABS/Acetone Vapor, Gluing together multi-part prints, XTC3D, retouching, heat forming
Printer Modification - Common issues and fixes, tweaks/hacks, upgrades, and tuning
Slicing - The art of G-Code generation, how to optimize for the best prints, getting into advanced settings, slicing software, and best practices

What do you think?  Do you have a better idea?  What should we talk about in this upcoming meetup?

-Hart

Robert Johnson

Aug 12, 2016, 2:25:28 PM8/12/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
works for me. We have a lot to cover so why not start there

Brandon Hart

Aug 15, 2016, 3:19:39 PM8/15/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Ok, unless anyone has an objection, or would like to bring up a different topic to discuss at tonight's meetup, we'll focus on
Materials - What types of materials are there, what are the differences, and how to print with them..

We'll see you all this evening!

-Brandon

Brandon Hart

Aug 15, 2016, 10:17:02 PM8/15/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello 3D printing enthusiasts!

Tonight's meetup was a bit underattended, and I blame the lack of awareness for our recurring event.  So I have started a meetup on Meetup.com to get better visibility.  Here is the link:

Robert is going to put it on Eventbrite as well (I'm sure he'll share the link here as well).

Hopefully this will help getting a bigger group together for future meetings.  We're going to do a repeat of our Materials topic next time.  We'll see you all on September 19th!

-Brandon

Brandon Hart

Sep 19, 2016, 5:54:44 PM9/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
3D Printing Enthusiasts!!

Tonight is our 3rd 3D Printing Meetup at Area515!  We will be talking about different types of materials: PLA/ABS (of course), as well as Premium PLAs, filled PLAs, TPUs (flexibles), Simulated Wood(ish), Soluble support, engineering materials, and more!

Come out and join us for the discussion.  People of all skill levels and experience are welcome.

See you at 7pm tonight!

-Brandon

beernutz

Sep 19, 2016, 6:00:15 PM9/19/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
8(  Wish I could make it.  Thanks for keeping this going!

Brandon Hart

Sep 19, 2016, 6:25:58 PM9/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I wish you could make it as well!  Hopefully we'll see you next time.

-Brandon

Brandon Hart

Sep 19, 2016, 9:57:59 PM9/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks everyone for coming out to our 3D Printing meetup this evening!  It was great to see both new and familiar faces!

Our discussion on materials was a lively one, and I'm very much looking forward to our next attendee-suggested topic for next month's meetup.  It's sure to spark a heated debate amongst the experienced printers among us, but should also be helpful to those new to 3D printing.  Without further delay our topic for next week is:

FAILURES!!!  (and how to avoid them)

Come prepared to discuss your most epic fail, whether it's from bad slicing settings, clogged nozzles, poor bed adhesion, or printing in an Igloo, all failures will be discussed so we can all learn how to avoid them in the future!  This should be a good one.  We look forward to seeing you there on October 17th!

Chris Johnson

Sep 20, 2016, 5:06:19 PM9/20/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for bringing a nice selection of filament for all to see.
Next month should be a hoot.

Digger

Nabil Hanke

Sep 20, 2016, 7:00:00 PM9/20/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Owl theme?

Thank you,
Nabíl
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Brandon Hart

Oct 18, 2016, 9:44:00 PM10/18/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello again everyone!  Last night's meetup was a good one.  There are so many causes of print failures that I'm sure we didn't cover them all, but I think we made a pretty good dent in the most common ones!

But now on to next month.  For our November 21st 3D Printing meetup we'll be discussing Slicing!  We'll cover many of the different slicers available, basic and advanced slicing options, and how to make the best use of some of the features your slicer may or may not offer.  I know that a lot of people use different slicing software, so I expect to have some lively debate about best practices, as well as the pros and cons of everyone's favorite options!

Interested in attending a 3D printing meetup but haven't heard the topic that you've been wanting to discuss?  Feel free to suggest topics and we'll add them to the list!  Last night's meetup topic was a suggestion from a previous attendee, so we're very much open to input!

Thanks, and we'll see you there on November 21st!

-Brandon

Bailey Steinfadt

Nov 17, 2016, 12:32:27 PM11/17/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Just a reminder that Brandon will be hosting the 3D printing meetup on Monday the 21st, talking about slicing!

Brandon Hart

Nov 21, 2016, 6:20:48 PM11/21/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We'll see everyone at the space tonight for the 3D Printing meetup to discuss Slicing and Slicers.  Soooo much to talk about with this one.

Also, we're open to any suggested topics for next month's meetup.  Got a burning question or something you have been struggling with?  Suggest it and it could be next month's topic!

-Brandon

beernutz

Nov 21, 2016, 6:40:10 PM11/21/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I would like to suggest bed leveling/calibration.  I am still struggling with getting my delta (rostock max v2) calibrated.  Would LOVE to find a working "auto" calibration system that I could just plug and play with, but so far all the ones I have seen have been custom designed for the specific printer they were installed on.

If this ends up being the topic, I will re-arrange my schedule so that I can attend.

Brandon Hart

Dec 9, 2016, 4:32:57 PM12/9/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Our next 3D Printing meetup will be on 12/19 and we will take Scott's suggestion to discuss printer calibration!  Whether you're a first time 3D Printer or are looking to improve your 3D Printing results, calibration can make a world of difference.  Everything from bed leveling to nozzle height to E-steps and more can (and likely will) be discussed.  Come on out and join the conversation!

beernutz

Dec 9, 2016, 4:41:09 PM12/9/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Woot!  I'll be there!

Brandon Hart

Dec 19, 2016, 7:54:11 PM12/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Is anyone with keys coming to the meetup tonight? We're currently locked out!

beernutz

Dec 19, 2016, 7:55:41 PM12/19/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm waiting as well

On Dec 19, 2016 6:54 PM, "Brandon Hart" <har...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone with keys coming to the meetup tonight? We're currently locked out!

Tim-S

Dec 19, 2016, 8:03:53 PM12/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
On the way. I'll be ~10min.

Brandon Hart

Dec 19, 2016, 8:05:25 PM12/19/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Our hero! Thanks Tim.

Bailey Steinfadt

Dec 19, 2016, 8:50:15 PM12/19/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

We drove by and it looked like people were in, so we kept on with errands!

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, 19:05 Brandon Hart <har...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our hero! Thanks Tim.

Brandon Hart

Dec 20, 2016, 10:52:45 AM12/20/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks everyone for braving the cold and coming out to discuss printer calibration (among other things...#TangentsHappen)!  We had a lively and in-depth conversation about multiple aspects of printer hardware and calibration.

But enough of the past, onto the future! Our next 3D Printing Meetup will take place on Monday, January 16, 2017 from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM.  Last night's attendees took a vote and agreed that next month's topic will be "Creating Functional Parts Using 3D Printing!"  This is a favorite of mine.  Trinkets are cool and fun, but the real power of 3D Printing (IMHO) is actually making things that perform a real function.  I very much look forward to this discussion and I hope you do a well.  Please bring any good examples of functional parts you've done so we have visual aids to help with the conversation.  Thanks, and we'll see you there!!

-Brandon

beernutz

Dec 20, 2016, 11:00:29 AM12/20/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Was a good time!  Thank you for organizing and Area515 for hosting us!  In my (rapidly advancing) old age, I have forgotten the name of the person with all the great knowledge and the infra-red bed calibration.  Would just like to thank you all and ask for some links to the system he was using and areas to read again to get my Rostock Max V2 fitted with this system.

Brandon Hart

Dec 20, 2016, 11:01:05 AM12/20/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Here's the Meetup.com listing for the upcoming meetup: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/events/235741658/

Brandon Hart

Jan 16, 2017, 5:16:04 PM1/16/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the 3D Printing Meetup at 7pm tonight!  Please drive carefully.  #icepocalypse

As a reminder, this evening's topic is Functional 3D Printing.  We'll be discussing the materials, methods, and uses for 3D printed parts.  Printing trinkets is fun, but can 3D printed parts really be used for functional purposes??  (Spoiler: Yes.  Yes they can.)

Bring any examples of functional parts you may have!  See you tonight!

beernutz

Jan 16, 2017, 5:17:15 PM1/16/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Sucks, but I won't be able to make it tonight.  Other responsibilities.  Have a great time all!

Brad Freese

Jan 16, 2017, 7:28:03 PM1/16/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm coming tonight but I'm running a little late, probably 15-20 mins.
Thanks!
Brad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Brandon Hart

Jan 17, 2017, 3:18:07 PM1/17/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Another great 3D Printing meetup on the books!  Thanks to everyone for the lively discussion.  A lot of great information was shared and I think we all learned something last night.

Now the question I know you're all dying to have answered: What is next month's topic??  I won't keep you in suspense any longer.  We took a vote and next month we'll be talking about printer tweaks!  This will encompass things like firmware modifications, hardware upgrades, add-ons, and more.  I expect it to be great information for those who are building their own machines, as well as those who just want to eek out a bit better performance from their existing machines.

We'll see you next month on Feb 20 at 7pm!

Brandon Hart

Feb 20, 2017, 7:47:58 PM2/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Will someone with a key be arriving at the space for our meetup tonight? The place is locked up and dark at the moment.

Brandon Hart

Feb 20, 2017, 7:59:02 PM2/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
It didn't occur to me to just pull on the door. But eventually I tried that and, to my surprise, it was open. Looks like someone forgot to ensure it was closed all the way when they left. So, I'm in. But it is awfully hazy in here. Was there some sort of fire or what?

Tim-S

Feb 20, 2017, 9:17:56 PM2/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We've had a problem with people not closing the door. Smoke could be anything including the CNC router, the laser, or someone burning the heck out of a board on the table saw.

Please do pull the door closed when you leave.

Brandon Hart

Feb 26, 2017, 5:13:24 PM2/26/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone that showed up for last week's meetup!  We had a slightly different version of our 3D Printing discussion this time since we had someone arrive with a printer that they couldn't quite get up and running.  Since the topic was about printer tweaks and upgrades it made sense to focus on this partially operational machine.  All told, while it wasn't a normal meetup, it proved to still be a fun one!

Our next meetup on 3/20 (my birthday!) will be centered on a topic that I've been wanting to cover for a while now--TOOLS!  Each of us that have been 3D printing things for a while now have tried out a variety of different tools to accomplish different parts of the 3D printing process.  From print removal tools to tool used frequently for machine fixes and updates, to those used for cleaning up finished prints, I expect each of us have found something that the others may be unaware of.  And for those that are new to 3D printing, this may be a highly educational discussion for you as well.

Please bring some or all of your favorite tools to this meetup.  I am very much looking forward to the show-and-tell, as well as the subsequent conversations.  See you there!

Craig Bossard

Feb 28, 2017, 8:31:06 AM2/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I saw a commercial printer in need of some tlc at ISU surplus. If you are interested, they are over by the airport in Ames and open on Wednesday from 9-3 I think.

Brandon Hart

Mar 20, 2017, 8:41:59 AM3/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello again everyone, today's the day for our next 3D Printing Meetup!  As a reminder, we'll be discussing your favorite tools for printing, removing, finishing, tuning up, or anything else related to the process of getting great finished prints.  It also happens to be my birthday, so let's make it a good one!  I'll see you all this evening at 7pm.

Brandon Hart

Mar 21, 2017, 9:25:51 AM3/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to all who came to last night's 3D Printing Meetup!  We had a fun conversation about different tools used for 3D printing, what works, what doesn't, and I think several of us may have some new ideas for tools to add to our 3D printing toolbox!

Enough with the past, on to the future!  Our next 3D Printing Meetup will take place on April 17th at the normal 7pm meetup time (please try to arrive on time), and this time we're going to circle back and talk about Getting Started with 3D Printing.  This is a great one for those of you who have been interested in 3D Printing but don't have your first machine yet, those who have a machine but haven't done much with it, and even those who have been working with a printer for a while.  We will cover the basics of printer types, material types, necessary software, slicer configurations, and more.  While we've covered most of those topics in depth in the past, this will be much more high-level, and will arm attendees with the basic information needed to get their first 3D prints to work successfully.

I always bring a bunch of visual aids, but I'd love to see what you all have to show off as well, so bring anything that might be helpful to the discussion!  I'll see you there next month!

Also, please RSVP on Meetup.com so I know how many people to expect.  Here is the link for the next meetup: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/events/238586628/

Brandon Hart

Mar 21, 2017, 5:36:32 PM3/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
3D printing enthusiasts!  I got a call today from Autodesk.  They are interested in doing a webinar/tutorial/overview of their Fusion 360 software for our 3D Printing Meetup group.  Is this something that people would like to do at one of the future meetups?  Seems like it could be pretty cool for those who are just getting started with modeling, those that are using something else and looking for a better option, as well as those of us who have already been using Fusion 360 for a while now.  As a reminder, it's free software (www.autodesk.com/fusion360).

Let me know whether this is something you'd like to have happen at a future meetup or not.  Thanks!

Brad Freese

Mar 21, 2017, 5:39:21 PM3/21/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I would love to attend that!

Tim-S

Mar 21, 2017, 5:57:01 PM3/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yes please!

Craig Bossard

Mar 21, 2017, 6:44:50 PM3/21/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I use this software.  Great stuff. I would enjoy this.

Yes please!

Allan Merz-Rosendale

Mar 22, 2017, 9:12:09 AM3/22/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I would for sure attend!

Brandon Hart

Mar 22, 2017, 11:09:25 AM3/22/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Ok, so that's 4 "Yes" votes, 5 if I count myself.  I think that's enough.  I'll let Autodesk know that we'd love to take them up on their offer to run through Fusion 360 with us.  We'll plan on the meetup after next (May) for this.  Should be fun and educational!

Dan Hockey

Mar 22, 2017, 11:17:07 AM3/22/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I installed 360 last night and from no more than I messed with it, its amazing how things have changed from the days of mechanical drafting.
I'd like to sit in on this one as well..

Zeke Egherman

Mar 23, 2017, 4:27:00 PM3/23/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'll probably be ther too!

string "firstName" == Zeke;
string "lastName" == Egherman;
string "fullName" == stringbuilder.concatenate (firstName,lastName);
Console.WriteLine("From," /n + fullName);
Console.Read();

From Zeke Egherman, developer of Lenny Face For youTRHSroundup.com, and more!

Matt D

Mar 28, 2017, 1:14:07 PM3/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Craig - That printer is still up for sale a month later.  Any idea how much work it needs or what issues it has?  Do you recall where it was priced?

Craig Bossard

Mar 28, 2017, 2:04:14 PM3/28/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I can tell you it waits like 5 weeks then drops some amount every week after.

I would treat it like a $3k kit machine with no controller.  Really nice parts, but you would probably want to setup a new controller.  I might be wrong on that, it may be fine, dunno at surplus.  It's really high end garbage in my op

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM Matt D <mdevr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Craig - That printer is still up for sale a month later.  Any idea how much more work it needs or what issues it has?  Do you recall where it was priced?

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 7:31:06 AM UTC-6, Craig Bossard wrote:
I saw a commercial printer in need of some tlc at ISU surplus.  If you are interested, they are over by the airport in Ames and open on Wednesday from 9-3 I think.

Tim-S

Mar 28, 2017, 4:05:13 PM3/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I would treat it like a $3k kit machine with no controller.

Based on our experience with an old Stratasys at the space, I'd say this is accurate. I have not totally given up on making the thing run, but... yeah. It might actually be faster to gut it and reuse all the really nice mechanical parts with an aftermarket controller.

Craig Bossard

Mar 29, 2017, 3:01:03 PM3/29/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Was $700 today. I would give it a week or two before I looked hard at it for parts.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would treat it like a $3k kit machine with no controller.

Based on our experience with an old Stratasys at the space, I'd say this is accurate. I have not totally given up on making the thing run, but... yeah. It might actually be faster to gut it and reuse all the really nice mechanical parts with an aftermarket controller.

Benjamin Miller

Apr 1, 2017, 8:38:47 PM4/1/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Also keep in mind that once an item at ISU surplus starts moving downward in price, Mark will generally accept an offer for 50% of the listed price.

And yes, that's how someone got the better part of a pallet of three phase motors for $5 each.

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>

Brad Freese

Apr 7, 2017, 2:31:16 PM4/7/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
On an unrelated note, I just came across this great analysis an engineer did of the mechanical strength of 3D printed parts. For a single individual, non-corporate study it looks pretty rigorous.

https://engineerdog.com/2015/09/02/mechanical-testing-3d-printed-parts-results-and-recommendations/

Cheers!

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:38:47 PM UTC-5, Benjamin Miller wrote:
Also keep in mind that once an item at ISU surplus starts moving downward in price, Mark will generally accept an offer for 50% of the listed price.

And yes, that's how someone got the better part of a pallet of three phase motors for $5 each.

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery, In Design

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Craig Bossard <craigb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Was $700 today. I would give it a week or two before I looked hard at it for parts.
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would treat it like a $3k kit machine with no controller.

Based on our experience with an old Stratasys at the space, I'd say this is accurate. I have not totally given up on making the thing run, but... yeah. It might actually be faster to gut it and reuse all the really nice mechanical parts with an aftermarket controller.

Brandon Hart

Apr 7, 2017, 4:32:12 PM4/7/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Fascinating read.  Thanks for sharing, Brad!  Rectilinear infill FTW!

Allan Merz-Rosendale

Apr 7, 2017, 4:59:52 PM4/7/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yeah, this is really neat stuff. Definitely Spurs me on in the creation of our own testing machine for the space.

Brandon Hart

Apr 14, 2017, 4:24:07 PM4/14/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Reminder about the 3D Printing Meetup on Monday at 7pm (sharp)!

We'll be covering "3D Printing 101," which will be a discussion about the basics of getting started with a 3D printer.  This one may be a bit more structured than the typical meetup in order to cover everything in the amount of time we have, but as always, open discussion is encouraged (mandatory, really) and "tangents happen."  See you all there!

Tim-S

Apr 15, 2017, 11:38:11 PM4/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Are there members who are planning to be there who can be there early to open the door?

We'll have the meetup either way, just checking because I have a very busy schedule this week and someone is available to host I'd like to use the evening to catch up on my projects

Brandon Hart

Apr 18, 2017, 9:12:55 PM4/18/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks everyone for coming out to our most attended meetup yet!!  The conversation centered around 3D Printing 101 was a good one, and I think everyone (myself included) came away with some great information they can apply to their 3D printing activity.  It was a little different than our typical format, but overall it went well!

Speaking of departures from our typical format, we have a special treat next month (May 15th)! Autodesk will give the Des Moines 3D Printing Meetup group an overview of their Fusion 360 software! For anyone not familiar with it, Fusion 360 is a very powerful program capable of making great 3D models for printing or other purposes. Come and hear from Autodesk themselves, and bring your questions!  www.autodesk.com/fusion360

Brandon Hart

May 13, 2017, 10:59:55 PM5/13/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello everyone!

I hope to see you all at our upcoming 3D Printing Meetup on Monday, May 15th at the Area515 Makerspace.  We'll be starting at 7pm so please plan to be there shortly before 7 so we can begin on time.

As a reminder, our discussion this week will be a bit different.  We're going to have Autodesk joining us through the magic of the Internet to walk us through their Fusion 360 design software.  As a user and fan of Fusion 360 myself, I'm very much looking forward to hearing about it directly from Autodesk.  Bring your questions!

https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/

Brandon Hart

May 15, 2017, 7:13:10 PM5/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'll see everyone in an hour!

Prepare for some learnin.

Brandon Hart

May 16, 2017, 6:09:07 PM5/16/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone who came out to our 3D Printing Meetup last night.  It was highly educational and judging by the gasps, smiles, and comments coming from the group I'd say that the demo was pretty well received.  Perhaps we'll have to do more of these guest speaker education sessions going forward!  I feel like Dan barely scratched the surface, so we might have to do a Part 2 with Autodesk sometime in the future.  Speaking of which, Jake provided their contact info and asked that I share it with the group, so here it is:

Jake Bosben – Account Manager (MN & IA) - Jacob....@autodesk.com612-900-7134

Dan Lubbe – Technical Specialist - Daniel...@autodesk.com612-802-9394

Ok, enough of the past, let's talk about the future!!  Our next meetup will take place on Monday, June 19th.  The topic for this next meetup will be...(drumroll please)...How To Succeed With Flexibles!  Printing with flexible filaments can be awesome.  Having a cool model that you can squish, or that can function as a hinge or a spring is super fun.  But it can also be one of the most frustrating experiences you'll ever have.  What does it take to print flexible materials successfully?!?  Come and find out as we discuss our successes and failures, materials and settings, and walk away better equipped to create parts that twist, bounce, stretch, and flex!

We'll see you there!

Brandon Hart

Jun 18, 2017, 7:22:53 PM6/18/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello again everyone!

Just a quick reminder about our 3D Printing Meetup at Area515 at 7pm tomorrow (Monday) evening. Our topic this time is how to succeed with flexibles. We'll be discussing the various types of flexible materials, and what it takes to succeed when attempting to print with them. As any of you that have tried it can attest, flexible materials can produce some incredible finished prints, but getting them to print correctly can be infuriating. So let's figure it out together!

PLEASE bring your finished flexible prints, failed flexible prints, materials, and anything you use to make it work! I'll bring mine as well!

-Brandon

P.S.- It would be awesome if you would RSVP on the Meetup.com website. Here's the link: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/

Brandon Hart

Jun 21, 2017, 10:21:14 AM6/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone that came out for our "printing with flexibles" 3D Printing Meetup on Monday!  It was a fun discussion and I think some walked away with a renewed interest in giving it a try!

Speaking of which, our next 3D Printing Meetup will take place on Monday, July 17th at 7pm. For this meetup we'll be talking once again about techniques to get the best results for a unique 3D printing use case.

In the spirit of ultimate transparency, I want to make something crystal clear. The Des Moines 3D Printing Meetup is here to enable the light of innovation to shine through unobstructed.

Ok, enough of that. Let's talk about how to achieve the most transparent 3D prints we can get! This was a suggestion from attendees of our "printing with flexibles" meetup, and it sounds like a fun discussion. As you may know, FDM/FFF 3D printing involves laying down round lines of melted filament and then stacking those lines on top of each other to build up a model. This typically results in air gaps between each line. Even the most transparent materials aren't generally "clear" once they are printed. So how can we make this better? What can we do to get truly clear parts? What are the trade-offs? Have you tried it before? Do you have any tips or tricks to share?

Come on out, bring any examples (successful or failed), and let's figure it out together!

RSVP on Meetup.com here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/events/240944276/

-Brandon

Brandon Hart

Jul 14, 2017, 2:13:26 PM7/14/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Monday at 7pm!

As a reminder, we'll be discussing the methods for creating transparent prints that are actually clear enough to see through (not just translucent).  I've been doing some experimenting and am excited to show everyone what I've figured out.  I hope that you all have some experiences to share as well (even if they are failures)!  Bring your example prints and let's talk about them!

Brandon Hart

Jul 19, 2017, 5:18:28 PM7/19/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to those who came to our Meetup on Monday evening to discuss transparent printing.  Hopefully it prompts some of you to give it a try and, if you do, please share your results (even failures)!

From a quick poll and a bit of brainstorming, our attendees have decided that we're going to get a bit geeky in our next meetup on August 21st.  We're going to discuss how to give your printer a new brain!  Or, if you are building a printer from scratch, what brain to give it!  By brain I'm referring to the controller board.  What's best?  Arduino-based boards?  Linux-based boards?  A Windows 95 single board computer?  Does a more powerful board actually produce better results?

We're going to change things up a bit and let one of our frequent attendees run the discussion (so you won't have to listen to me so much this time!).  Our discussion will be led by Beau Hunt!  Come on out and get geeky with us!!

Beau H

Jul 21, 2017, 9:56:55 AM7/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
If anyone has anything in particular about control boards they would like covered I will do some research and prepare some info ahead of the meetup.
Otherwise I plan to do an overview of the types of control boards available and their features. I will also bring some of the different control boards I have and demo their features.
Beau

Brandon Hart

Aug 21, 2017, 3:48:19 PM8/21/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello everyone!

Hopefully the excitement for tonight's 3D Printing Meetup hasn't been eclipsed by extraterrestrial activities...

Just a reminder that tonight at 7pm we will be meeting at Area515 to discuss various topics including a discussion about 3D printer boards!  Beau Hunt will walk us through the differences in the various boards used to drive your machines, what those differences mean in terms of printing results, and what to look for when you go to buy or build your next machine!

Have questions?  Want to show off some recent prints you've completed?  Want to suggest a topic for next month?  Come on down!

Ray Scheufler

Aug 21, 2017, 3:52:48 PM8/21/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I won't be at the meeting this evening, but if you want to oggle over the low cost monoprice delta, it should be sitting between the deltas and the cartesian.

If anyone monitoring this and attending the meetings wants to get into 3d printing, I've got an old printrbot simple that was unearthed in a recent cleaning.  I don't have much use for it but I'll make someone a good deal if they want to get started.  I'm not sure of the current status of the printer, but it was mostly working when I stopped using it.

Ray Scheufler

Zeke Egherman

Aug 21, 2017, 4:53:24 PM8/21/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ray, I'm interested. I need more practice making good prints and using a printer in general as I keep breaking the space ones. what price?

Brandon Hart

Aug 24, 2017, 9:25:49 PM8/24/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We had a good group of attendees on Monday night, so thanks everyone for coming out.  The discussion on 3D printer control boards turned out to be a really great one, so thank you very much to Beau Hunt for the excellent breakdown!  I know I learned quite a bit.

Next month we're going to go back to a topic that is near and dear to my heart: FDM 3D Printing Material Options!  As many of you know, I'm a self-professed materials junkie and have accumulated quite a few different types of filaments over the years.  But I also know there is a lot of stuff out there that I have never played with.  So if you've got some fun composites or extra special filled PLAs that you want to show off, please bring your example prints to share with the group!

Time permitting, we will also take a deep dive into how to succeed with the most common material around--PLA!  Since this is a great first material for those new to 3D printing, and there are so many types out there, it makes sense to talk through some of the members' tips & tricks for getting good results with PLA.

As always, this should be a good one.  I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone brings to show off!  Please RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/events/ckrcxlywmbxb/

Brandon Hart

Sep 18, 2017, 7:51:42 PM9/18/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello all!  I'm sure you're already on your way to the space, but here's your last minute reminder to come on down for the 3D Printing meetup tonight at 7pm!!

Brandon Hart

Sep 19, 2017, 5:17:41 PM9/19/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone that came out and talked about 3D printing materials with us at last night's 3D Printing Meetup!  We had some fun discussions and, as predicted, I got a little long-winded about some of my favorite materials (again).  I can't help it--I love geeking out on the various filament options available, and what properties each has!

Right, enough of that, onward to the next one!

For the October 3D Printing Meetup (October 16th) we will be discussing how to get started with CAD!  If you're anything like me, you initially got into 3D Printing with the expectation that you could solve problems, fix broken parts, invent contraptions, etc.  But the first things that were printable were the things that were designed by others and posted on places like Thingiverse, Pinshape, MyMiniFactory, and other locations throughout the internet.  Which means that the first month of 3D printing was all about printing trinkets and stuff that other people designed.  So how do you make your own stuff?  By using Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software, of course!

In this meetup we'll discuss generically how to get started with CAD software.  While many of us use Autodesk Fusion 360, that is not the only type of CAD software out there.  This discussion will pertain to most types of CAD software and will focus more on the techniques and process to create something than the specific software used to create it.  We'll talk through how to approach the design, how to think about tolerances, how to design something that is printable, and the basic functions needed to create your first models.  And I'm sure there will be some discussion about the best type of CAD software to use when getting started, as well.  If you are new to CAD then come and learn!  If you are experienced with CAD, come and contribute to the discussion!  If you're somewhere in between, then come and do both!!  And if you have printed something you designed, then please bring it and show it off to the group--we love examples!

We'll see you there!

Brandon Hart

Oct 15, 2017, 12:40:14 AM10/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello everyone!  Just a quick reminder that our next meetup is coming up in a couple of days.  We'll be meeting at Area515 on Monday, October 16th at 7pm.

During this meetup we will be discussing getting started with Computer Aided Design, or CAD.

This will not be a lesson as much as a discussion of the best ways to get started, preferred CAD software, capabilities of CAD, and whatever else comes up ("Tangents Happen").

Please RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup.  I hope to see you there!

Brandon Hart

Oct 19, 2017, 1:00:07 PM10/19/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone who came out on Monday for our discussion about Getting Started with CAD!  We had a great group of people, including many first timers, and there were some great conversations about everyone's favorite CAD programs, as well as how the design process actually works.

For our next 3D Printing Meetup on Monday November 20th, per the request of our last meetup group, we'll be discussing 3D Scanning!  This is a topic that I'm not terribly familiar with, so I've invited Brad Freese to be our subject matter expert this time.  Brad offers 3D Scanning services and primarily employs photogrammetry as his technique for obtaining high quality 3D Scans which can then be 3D printed.  If you have worked with 3D scanning, had 3D scans created, or anything related to 3D scanning we'd love it if you would share your experiences!  Bonus points for bringing any 3D prints that were created from 3D scans!

Do you have experience with 3D scanning that you'd be willing to talk about?
Are you interested in buying a 3D Scanner, or having 3D scans created?
Not sure about the type of resolution, costs, or effort involved to get good results?
Looking for some some tips and tricks to get the most out of 3D scanning?
Or just 3D scanning curious?
Come on out to our next meetup and talk with the group!

Brandon Hart

Nov 20, 2017, 8:35:18 AM11/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello Again, Des Moines 3D Printing Enthusiasts!

I just wanted to remind everyone about tonight's meetup.  Tonight we'll be talking about 3D Scanning (typically for the purpose of 3D Printing).  I don't know a lot about this topic, so I've invited Brad Freese to lead the discussion.  Brad offers 3D Scanning to clients and will talk us through his process of using Photogrammetry to accomplish some very impressive results.  There are other techniques used as well, and we'll be sure to talk about those also.

I'm very excited to learn more about 3D Scanning--it's something I've long been interested in, but have yet to do anything with.  Maybe that will change after tonight's meetup!  Do you have experience with 3D Scanning?  Have you printed anything from scans, or had scans done for you by someone else?  Bring your examples if you've got them!  In fact, if you've got something else that's 3D Printing-related, feel free to bring those as well.  After all, "Tangents Happen" at the Des Moines 3D Printing Meetup, and that's a good thing.

See you all at the space tonight at 7pm!  RSVP Here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/

Brandon Hart

Nov 23, 2017, 11:02:30 AM11/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to all of our attendees at Monday's meetup--we had a lot of first timers, which is great!  Brad did a great job walking us through how 3D scanning works, what its strengths and weaknesses are, and how to get the best results.  Super cool to get a peek behind the curtain to see how the magic is done!

For our next meetup on December 18th at 7pm, we're going to take on the daunting topic of picking a printer.  If you've looked around for a 3D printer lately you may have noticed that there are SO MANY OPTIONS, so how are you supposed to know what to choose?!?  In our December meetup we'll talk about what to look for in your first/next/additional/etc. printer, and hopefully make some sense of what's out there.  This should be a fun one.  We'll see you there!

Brandon Hart

Dec 18, 2017, 2:24:02 PM12/18/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello again everyone!  Just a reminder that tonight will be our final 3D Printing Meetup of 2017!  For this last meetup we are once again going with a meetup member suggestion, which also somewhat happens to be in the gift-giving spirit.

How to Select a 3D Printer?

We'll cover the questions that you need to ask to determine what is the best choice for you (or your loved one).  Whether this will be your first 3D printer, or your next 3D printer, it's always good to think about what is the best fit for your needs, rather than just jumping on a Black Friday special, or the one your neighbor has.  As always, we'd love to know anything new in your 3D printing life!  Bring any examples of cool 3D prints, printer parts, or just something you found cool that you'd like to share with the group.  We'll see you at Area515 at 7pm tonight!

RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/

-Brandon

Brandon Hart

Dec 22, 2017, 9:35:21 AM12/22/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We had a great discussion about different types of printers, and what to look for when buying one in our Meetup discussion on Monday, so thanks to those who came!  When we've got so many options it can be very difficult to figure out what will work best for you, but I think we were able to demystify it somewhat.

So now what should we talk about in our first meetup of 2018??  We're rolling with another attendee-suggested topic!

3D Printing Pens are just a cheap novelty. Or are they?

In our January meetup we'll be discussing 3D Printing Pens and what they're good for. Are you artistic? Not great with computers? Looking to add some flair to your prints? Repair broken or failed prints? Are 3D Printing Pens good for any of these things? I have just gotten my first pen and have very little experience using it, so let's discuss them and figure it out together!

Do you have experience with 3D Printing Pens? If so, please come and share your experiences, as well as any of your successful or even failed attempts to use them. I'll bring whatever I can come up with as well (which won't be pretty). We'll look forward to seeing you there!

Don Cady

Dec 27, 2017, 12:44:55 AM12/27/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
FYI For a short time, we do have a member-loaned 3D Pen that other members can try out at the space.

Don

Brandon Hart

Jan 15, 2018, 9:15:16 AM1/15/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello 3D Printing Enthusiasts!

Just wanted to send out a quick reminder that tonight at 7pm is our January 3D Printing Meetup.  Our discussion this time will focus on the concept of 3D printing pens--are they just toys with no real practical use?  Are they capable of producing anything decent, or just stringy blobs of plastic that barely resemble the thing they were meant to make (as in my case)?

Let's find out together!  Bring your 3D pen-created artwork, your pens themselves, and any thoughts or stories related to them to tonight's meetup.  7pm at Area515.  See you there!

Brandon Hart

Jan 17, 2018, 9:41:24 AM1/17/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to those who braved the frigid cold to come out to our 3D printing meetup on Monday!  We had a fun discussion about 3D printing pens, and whether they have any real practical use for us non-artistic types (they do!), as well as what is possible for those with a bit more artistic talent than yours truly.  I know at least a couple of attendees are planning to grab a pen themselves after getting to play with the 3 pens we had to show off.  Special thanks to Jesse for leaving one at the space for the group to try out!

Per the consensus of the attendees, our February 19th meetup topic will be...3D Printing for Mold Making!  We'll explore the different ways that molds can be made using 3D printing, how to work with them, and what sorts of parts make sense to use 3D printed molds for.  In some cases the positive can be 3D printed and them melted out, and in others the 3D printer might be used to make the mold itself.  Depending upon whether you are casting a part in resin, metal, or some other material, the process may be completely different!  What about PLA versus some of the molding-specific materials?

Do you have experience (or even expertise) to share?  Please bring any and all examples of experiments that succeeded or failed, molded parts, or even just stories of "a guy you saw do it one time."  Let's figure out this niche use for 3D printing together!

I'll see you there at 7pm on February 19th!

Brandon Hart

Feb 17, 2018, 10:24:10 PM2/17/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello everyone!

It's that time again--time for our next 3D Printing Meetup!  On Monday, 2/19 at 7pm we will be discussing how to use 3D printing to make molds used to cast parts.  Jewelry, cosplay, sculpture, functional parts, and more can all potentially benefit from these techniques, so let's discuss it together to figure out what makes sense.

If you have experience with this process we would absolutely love to hear from you at our meetup.  And if you have examples to show that's even better!

We'll see you there on Monday night!

Brandon Hart

Feb 20, 2018, 8:12:08 PM2/20/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thank you to the brave souls that came out in the impending ice storm for our discussion about 3D printing for mold making.  It was fun to talk about the options to create molds for different purposes, and how to make it happen.  Great discussion, and I think several people got some ideas for projects to start working on!

Now let's talk about March.  For our March meetup we'll be discussing filament storage and handling.

Often overlooked, but hugely important is the topic of how to store your filament to ensure it will work properly when you go to print with it.  Different types of materials absorb water from the air at different rates.  In nearly every instance though, this absorption will lead to reduced print quality, greatly reduced part strength, and, in some cases, even clogged nozzles.  So let's discuss how to prevent this, or how to fix it after it has happened.

Come on out and we'll discuss how to store your filament, how to treat it prior to printing, and how to print with it so that you get the best performance.  Do you have examples of failed prints due to excessive moisture?  Bring them and show the group!  Do you have storage or drying solutions that work for you?  Show everyone else how you did it.  We'll see you there!

Brandon Hart

Mar 18, 2018, 8:52:59 PM3/18/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to see you all again tomorrow night at Area515, starting at 7pm (sharp).  As a reminder, we're going to be discussing how to keep your filament working perfectly, and what can happen if you don't!  Bring any systems, tools, etc. that you use to store your filaments, and examples of prints you have done as well!

I have an exciting announcement as well.  A group from the Iowa Startup Factory at ISU is going to be at our meetup tomorrow to discuss the product they are developing specifically to improve 3D printing.  They'd love to get your input on what they're creating.  This is you opportunity to contribute to the next innovation which will improve the 3D printing industry!

I'll see you there tomorrow night!  RSVP Here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/

Brandon Hart

Mar 20, 2018, 1:15:31 PM3/20/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to the group that came out for our discussion about storing and handling your 3D Filament!  I think everyone picked up some valuable insights from the discussion--myself included!  It's an often overlooked issue so it was good to shed some light on it.

For April we're going to focus on something a bit different.  3D printing tends to result in a lot of waste. Wasted spools, wasted fuel for shipping, support material and failed prints, etc. How can we, as makers, do better?  Let's discuss "3D Printing For Hippies!"

As a self-proclaimed "Eco Nerd" I seek out all options available for recycling filaments, reusing scraps, repurposing spools, and anything else to keep my impact on the planet to a minimum. I have found a lot of ways to do that, but I'm sure there are more. If you are like me, and want to understand what we can do to enjoy our hobby without causing harm to the environment (or at least minimal harm) then come on out and join the conversation!

As always, attendees are encouraged to share their perspectives, experiences, and bring along their Show-And-Tell examples! Have you printed with recycled filaments? Have you attempted to recycle filaments yourself? Ever try to compost PLA? Bring your examples to the meetup so that everyone can benefit from your experiments!

We'll see you there!  RSVP Here: https://www.meetup.com/Des-Moines-3D-Printing-Meetup/events/ckrcxlyxgbvb/

-Brandon

Zeke Egherman

Mar 20, 2018, 1:24:08 PM3/20/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I probably won't be there, but somebody bring up the Masterspool for me!

Brandon Hart

Apr 11, 2018, 11:31:33 AM4/11/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello everyone!

I usually send out a reminder a day or two before our meetup (and I probably still will), but this time I wanted to send out an extra heads up a little earlier because I'm particularly excited about Monday's topic.  I have been doing a lot of experimentation with various eco-friendly materials (see attached for a sneak peek on the work-in-progress), talking to manufacturers, and researching how to reduce the impact of 3D printing on the environment.  I have a lot to share with everyone, so I'd like to encourage you all to attend this one if you have any interest in the topic.

As an additional incentive to attend, several of the companies I have spoken with have offered discounts/coupon codes for our specific group to use!  I will share those at the meetup on Monday night.  So, I'll see you all at Area515, Monday April 16th at 7pm!

Bailey Steinfadt

Apr 11, 2018, 11:32:04 AM4/11/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Mind if I have this info put up on Facebook?

Brandon Hart

Apr 11, 2018, 11:32:56 AM4/11/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Please do!

Thanks Bailey

Brandon Hart

Apr 15, 2018, 7:13:52 PM4/15/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello again everyone!

Just a quick reminder about tomorrow's Des Moines 3D Printing Meetup.  We'll be discussing Eco-Friendly 3D Printing.  The discussion includes everything from different types of filament to packaging to printing waste, and more.  This is a topic I am passionate about, so I've been doing a lot of research and testing which I am excited to share with everyone.  Are you a "3D Printing Hippie" like me?  Or just curious?  Bring your ideas, questions, and any examples you might have to share with the group!

There is a lot to talk about at this one, so everyone please do your best to be there at 7pm.  We'll be starting right away.  See you there!

Brandon Hart

Apr 20, 2018, 3:10:12 PM4/20/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We had a great group come out to our April 3D Printing Meetup on Monday.  I loved seeing so many people concerned about their impact on the environment, and eager to talk about how to do better.  The discount codes didn't hurt either...

But onto the future!!  Specifically, The Future of 3D Printing!  That's our meetup topic for May.  3D printing has made incredible advancements in the past few years.  The materials, machines, and ecosystem have all contributed to a lower cost and higher quality process, and enabled some truly amazing capabilities.  So where do we go from here?  What's next?  What will the future look like in 2 years?  5 years?  20 years?

Do you have some ideas about the future?  Or are you curious to know what others think the future looks like?  Come on out and join the conversation!  We'll see you there!

Brandon Hart

May 21, 2018, 10:30:14 AM5/21/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hello again everyone!

I'm looking forward to our discussion about the future of 3D printing.  I am hoping for a lot of really great viewpoints on what the future looks like, and hopefully some disagreements about what the future holds!  What will machines look like?  Will there be a printer in every home?  Will a particular type of 3D printing "win?"  How will 3D printing be used?  Come on out and plan to share your thoughts.

Everyone please plan to be at Area515 at 7pm tonight, and bring any show-and-tell items you want to share with the group (printers, tools, and of course, example prints).

It is loading more messages.