Ham Radio Club/Night/Hangout

Ian Walmsley

Jan 17, 2017, 11:44:56 AM1/17/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hello everyone.

Does anyone want to take over the ham radio club meetup? Any member hams want to step up and host this event?

Currently this semester at school, my schedule has gotten to a point where I can't host it. I'd even be willing to pick it back up in the summer, but at this time I cannot continue.

If someone would like to step in, please email me or comment here.

If no one steps in, Ham Night will be cancelled until further notice.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Ian

beernutz

Jan 17, 2017, 11:57:04 AM1/17/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
We just need to fly Jeri Ellsworth out to host it.  That woman rocks!

David Champion

Jan 17, 2017, 2:16:30 PM1/17/17
to dsmhackerspace
Sorry I haven't been around for these lately.

If we get Jeri to host, I'd be there, you should make that happen.

-dc

Don Cady

Jan 21, 2017, 9:27:40 PM1/21/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Did someone take this up?
It's not only still on the calendar, but has been moved from Wed. to Mon. hinting that maybe someone has..

Don

Bailey Steinfadt

Lisa P

Mar 27, 2017, 3:54:16 PM3/27/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Meeting tonight! Gonna start with antenna ideas for my new (to me) quad band TYT 9800.

Where it goes from there, join us and find out/chip in.

Justin Richeson

Mar 30, 2017, 5:38:49 PM3/30/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
DANG!  Sorry I missed it...I just picked up the exact same radio!!!

What did you come up with for antenna ideas?  Are you trying for home/base or vehicle?

Lisa P

Mar 30, 2017, 8:40:19 PM3/30/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We discussed a J Pole, and an option for ground plane and electric box assembly.

My quad is set up in the house, I didn't think to bring up options for mobile.

But a friend runs the same in his truck with just a dual band antenna.

Which is what I would use in my go bag if I were to use it, but the ground plane has my agent ion big time.

What have you considered?

Justin Richeson

Apr 5, 2017, 1:46:50 PM4/5/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Been trying to work up antenna ideas for both.  Mostly I've switched to looking at mobile first right now since I've got mine in my Honda Pilot on a dual-band antenna right now.

My biggest issue is even my short dual-band hits my garage door pulling in.  So I'm trying to sort that out.  Also, an antenna including 10M doesn't do me much good right now as a tech, but I'm trying to decide if I should future proof and get one anyway.  I've considered a single quad band, but I think it's too tall even for a rear-mounted solution... I'm considering dual antennas and a multiplexer (adds cost), I've considered motor mounts (more than doubles project cost with install....).  Just no good *cheap* solution.

I've heard many people just put up one of the better mobile quad-band antennas for home use along with a ground plane (one of those 3-4 spoke rings that screws in place between the feed line and the antenna).

Also, I plan on putting up a discone at some point for SDR work at home....just need to get up the desire to get way up in the air, or try to get into my attic.

Lisa P

Sep 23, 2017, 2:38:24 PM9/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
In the interest of keeping my sanity, we are cancelling Monday's ham club meeting due to excessive heat at the space.

Weather should break soon, but not before Monday.

Will see you all next month.
Lisa & Guy

Justin Richeson

Sep 23, 2017, 3:47:09 PM9/23/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
To anyone still HAM interested the DMRAA meeting is on the 26th and is about DMR (digital mobile radio). more info at dmraa.com

Justin Richeson
N3OIA

Lisa P

Sep 23, 2017, 8:28:44 PM9/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Guy and I will be at the DMRAA meeting. All things digital I think is the topic. It's at Plymouth Congregational church in the wave land room on the 2nd floor.

Thanks for the reminder Justin.

Lisa
KN0WME

Justin Richeson

Sep 25, 2017, 5:45:03 PM9/25/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Unless plans change I will be in attendance.  I have a brand-spankin'-new DMR myself... a new radio to the market to boot :)

--Justin (N3OIA)

Lisa P

Oct 23, 2017, 8:29:21 PM10/23/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I goofed and didn't get tonight's ham radio meet up advertised. Guy is about out of projects, so unless we have someone show up by 745, we are gonna lock up and enjoy the COOL breeze to be had on the way home.

Next months meeting is November 27. Right after thanksgiving. Anyone is welcome :)

David Champion

Oct 24, 2017, 12:10:31 PM10/24/17
to dsmhackerspace
Thanks, I'm interested in attending these again, hopefully my schedule will work out.

-dc