Possible Jointer for Sale

Andy Poppen

Apr 7, 2017, 1:10:11 PM4/7/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I haven't gotten too far down this road yet, but I'm thinking about convincing the Science Center to sell their 90's era Delta DJ-15 6" jointer. I'm the only one who's used it there in maybe 15 years (and that was for a personal project). It's in good working condition, only very very dull blades. I know it's just a 6", and it doesn't have a helical cutterhead, but would Area 515 be interested in buying it? What price would we be willing to pay?

Again, this is all hypothetical right now. I'm gauging interest, and there is no timeline. Well...actually, if I can make the deal happen before May 1st, we're renting a big truck with hydraulic liftgate on that day. Which would make moving the tool a lot easier. But I don't really expect to be able to cut through all the SCI red tape in a month, if I'm honest.

Brad Freese

Apr 7, 2017, 2:28:24 PM4/7/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I would LOVE to have a jointer at the space! I've been wanting one of those since I moved back to Iowa.  Do you have any idea what price the Science Center would want for it? Most of the ones I've seen on Craigslist like this are in the ~500 range.  Any chance we could make a low offer of around, ~$150 - $200 and see if they're willing to bargain?

Count me as in for $20 at least.

Andy Poppen

Apr 7, 2017, 2:36:05 PM4/7/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I think bargaining is almost certainly an option. I was going to initially suggest maybe $200. It's older, they don't need it, and they just want to make room in the shop. But I can't say for sure yet.

David Champion

Apr 7, 2017, 3:30:30 PM4/7/17
to dsmhackerspace
That would be a nice addition to the woodworking tools.

-dc

Chris Johnson

Apr 7, 2017, 8:20:20 PM4/7/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Several of us are looking to work towards a larger unit, but a helical 6" would let us put an edge on some smaller stuff.
Ultimate goal is to be able to save lots of money on wood by being able buy rough cut stock, and process in house.  We have had interest by many potential members in this idea.  We also have people wanting to surface larger items like cutting boards, and a 6" will not make a dent in that.

If the helical head is good, with life left in the cutters, it wouldn't hurt us to have it.

Benjamin Miller

Apr 10, 2017, 8:55:19 AM4/10/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I think that helical heads are way overhyped unless you're wanting to surface highly figured woods without sanding afterward, and even still, a very sharp set of straight knives will usually give a glass-smooth surface.

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery, In Design

David Champion

Apr 10, 2017, 12:13:11 PM4/10/17
to dsmhackerspace
Chris, what's the estimated price on the larger jointer you're wanting to get? I know you're working on a plan on how to finance it.

-dc

Andy Poppen

Apr 12, 2017, 4:45:00 PM4/12/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
To reiterate, this machine does NOT have helical cutters, but its upgradeable. And the blades are so dull. Like, really dull. But that's a quick fix. Actually, I've just been informed that I'm the new owner of a gorgeous 50's era 8" Delta/Crescent machine (wedding gift). So depending on whether I can find space in my basement shop or not...that might be making its way to the maker space. No promises though. First inclination is to keep all that atomic age goodness for myself, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 12:10:11 PM UTC-5, Andy Poppen wrote:
delta-crescent-8-jointer-w-cast-iron-base-21484418[1].jpg

Bailey Steinfadt

Apr 12, 2017, 4:48:36 PM4/12/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

It's so pretty! And it's yours, so while we'd always appreciate a donation, do whatever you want with it!

Jeffrey Ollie

Apr 12, 2017, 5:17:02 PM4/12/17
to dsmhackerspace
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Andy Poppen <poppe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually, I've just been informed that I'm the new owner of a gorgeous 50's era 8" Delta/Crescent machine (wedding gift). ... First inclination is to keep all that atomic age goodness for myself, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Awesome! Does the black & white checkered linoleum come with it?

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.

Chris Johnson

Apr 15, 2017, 8:34:08 PM4/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Nice old iron Andy!  Should make a nice addition to your shop.

Digger