CNC Router Training Request

Colin Ray

Feb 23, 2018, 2:06:57 PM2/23/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hi, new member here.

Is someone available to train me on the Piranha CNC Router? I am available just about any time this weekend. During the week I am available all day Tuesday and Thursday, and in the evening on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I want to cut some small wooden panels for a synthesizer, similar to these:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to making my first project.

David Champion

Feb 23, 2018, 2:20:57 PM2/23/18
to dsmhackerspace
What synth are you building?

-dc

Colin Ray

Feb 23, 2018, 2:39:47 PM2/23/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The panels are for the Moog Mother-32. It's not a DIY synth, but I plan to connect a couple of them together using a custom side panel.

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 1:20:57 PM UTC-6, David Champion wrote:
What synth are you building?

-dc

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Colin Ray <r.col...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, new member here.

Is someone available to train me on the Piranha CNC Router? I am available just about any time this weekend. During the week I am available all day Tuesday and Thursday, and in the evening on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I want to cut some small wooden panels for a synthesizer, similar to these:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to making my first project.

Brad Freese

Feb 26, 2018, 11:48:44 AM2/26/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hi Colin!
I apologize for the late response, I've been out of town since Wednesday. I'd be happy to train you on the Piranha. Unfortunately I'm not available until this weekend. Will Saturday (the 3rd) afternoon work for you?
Also, do you have any past experience with CNC machines? (If you don't that's not a problem, just wanting to check.)

Colin Ray

Feb 26, 2018, 12:26:06 PM2/26/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hi Brad!

Saturday the 3rd should work. Is there a time of day that works best for you? I am available all day. Do I need to bring anything (materials, laptop, etc.)?

I do not have any past experience with CNC machines.

Thanks!
Colin

Brad Freese

Feb 26, 2018, 5:10:25 PM2/26/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
How about around 3:00 on Saturday?
You don't need to bring anything. If you have the wood and/or files for your project you can bring those if you like. We'll practice on scrap wood at the space.
The maximum useable volume of the Piranha is about 9" x 15" x 3". Will that be big enough for your project? (If not, there are a few work arounds we could try.)

Colin Ray

Feb 26, 2018, 8:00:45 PM2/26/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Sounds good, 3pm it is.

My project will be about 4" x 10" x 1/4" at the max, so I think the Piranha will be big enough.

Brad Freese

Mar 2, 2018, 12:33:40 PM3/2/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Colin -
Any chance we could switch to Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday?

Colin Ray

Mar 2, 2018, 2:17:25 PM3/2/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
That should work. 3pm still? I should be available any time after noon.

Brad Freese

Mar 2, 2018, 2:48:04 PM3/2/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
3pm is still great for me. Thanks, see you Sunday!