Space Tshirts: Order

packetloss404

Mar 11, 2016, 11:12:04 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Hey Everyone!

I'd like to see if and who is interested in larger sizes of the t-shirts for the space!! I've partnered up with Bailey to figure this out, I'm coordinating the orders, and she will place the order.

This is for the XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4XLtype sizes, if you are interested in the smaller sizes, they are still in stock at the space.

I'm down for 2 3XL.

Who else? I'll start a fabulous spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Ollie

Mar 11, 2016, 11:16:42 AM3/11/16
to dsmhackerspace
Are we going to get a color other than brown?  I know that this is the ultimate in bikeshedding, but I'd prefer black or grey.  I'd be down for 1 3XL in any case.

Jeff Ollie

packetloss404

Mar 11, 2016, 11:18:12 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Correct, same color, same design just more of the bigger guy sizes.

beernutz

Mar 11, 2016, 11:29:06 AM3/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'd be down for a couple 3xl's as well but would really only be interested in black too.

Ian Walmsley

Mar 11, 2016, 11:32:01 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
So that's a no to brown, correct? No shirts for you.

beernutz

Mar 11, 2016, 11:33:07 AM3/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's correct.  I would not however be adverse to coordinating a run of black shirts in larger sizes with the logo on them for those so inclined.

Ian Walmsley

Mar 11, 2016, 11:34:17 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yeah that's been talked about and at this time we are trying to keep some uniformity. That's why its a 2nd run of the same color and design -- so things match.

Not opposed to other colors, but at this time it's strictly a 2nd run of the previous color and design.

Thanks!

beernutz

Mar 11, 2016, 11:35:18 AM3/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ok, no problem.  I will just do my own then.  Thanks.  8)

Ian Walmsley

Mar 11, 2016, 11:36:16 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Well that goes against the grain, good job.

beernutz

Mar 11, 2016, 11:37:13 AM3/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Do-ocracy at work.

Ian Walmsley

Mar 11, 2016, 11:45:01 AM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Let's get back on track and back to the ordering!

3 - 3XL so far.

Now taking orders...

Chris Johnson

Mar 11, 2016, 1:04:42 PM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Well, if enough want a different color, Who decides for the others that they can't have the shirts they want, if the come down on another color (sounds like black is the preferred so far.)
Maybe there is a reason that brown was picked originally, so let us know.  If no reason to tie it into anything specific, it sourt sounds like a "if I don't get my way, I am gonna take my ball and go home."

Oh yeah...I'd take a couple of Double-Bubba in black!

David Champion

Mar 11, 2016, 1:09:35 PM3/11/16
to dsmhackerspace
I think the t-shirt color was picked because it matched our branding color scheme. At the time the logo was designed, we went through a process and picked the colors. Companies usually try to keep a consistent branding including colors.

That said, we've been pretty loose with using the Area515 logo on things so...

-dc

Ray Scheufler

Mar 11, 2016, 1:27:09 PM3/11/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
The t-shirt was the closest color we could get to our logo.  I also would prefer a different color for the shirt.  I like my manually screen printed grey area 515 shirt.

Ray Scheufler

Ian Walmsley

Mar 11, 2016, 1:38:59 PM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
There is usually a cost associated with customizing the colors per order. The effort of trying to keep it simple was the goal and keep the price around $15 if at all possible.

David is right, i said what I said because of branding for the space.Trying to keep it consistent. I was not taking my ball and going home -- I'm trying to get us big guys some shirts. Looking out for the interest of the space was my concern with consistency of the colors. These are not manually made screen prints -- these are orders to a shirt company.

When Bailey and I chatted last night about it -- it was just to get some bigger sizes in the shirts already designed. If someone else wants to start a campaign to get some back ones, then by all means go for it, I would just suggest you get the board involved as the logo that represents our space is on them -- and we need to make sure we look after our brand, even if we are a Do-ocracy.

Count is still for 3x 3XL shirts. any others?

Bailey Mader

Mar 11, 2016, 1:54:09 PM3/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yeah, brown was picked because the logo is brown, green and white. And we figured white shirts in a shop would look awful very quickly. So we flipped the colors for the shirt. If you all agree on what you want, we haven't made any order, and I'd rather go through a different supplier this time anyway, so it won't be an issue.

I don't care which color you choose, brown, black, gray, green or hot pink, but it will be more cost effective to all agree. I only request we stick to the two color print because the logo looks like crap without that color bar at the bottom. Keep that in mind.

I think they cost between $9-10 for each shirt for us, anything over XL costing more, and we charged $15 because that's still a cheap price compared to most shirts of it's ilk and we would be sure to cover any we didn't sell (since we hoped people would buy them at our grand opening.) I'd like to keep them at $15 because it's a nice (if small) way to donate to the space, and Nabil's laser cut sign with the modified 515 for the price just looks too cool to change.

Chris Johnson

Mar 12, 2016, 1:33:52 PM3/12/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks for the clarification Bailey.  The T-shirt order happened before I joined, and I never heard why the color scheme was picked.  Also thank you for being open to a change in colors, and I agree on your comment about the multicolor scheme needing to be kept.  I like the logo and the style, just can't get myself to wear the brown. I suggest that a poll be taken on a second color scheme (and only one more).  I suspect there will be a favorite that comes out of this.  Many groups have different color schemes in the shirts they sell and wear.  As long as the numbers are met, Silk screening companies usually won't beat you up.  If they try, get another quote.  There are more suppliers than shirt requests.  They have always fought for each others business.

Chris

Tim-S

Mar 12, 2016, 3:50:33 PM3/12/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
So, of you're interested in a brown shirt to match the existing ones but we don't have your size, bug Ian (thanks, Ian, for getting this rolling!).

There's been a lot of interest in black shirts. If there's enough interest, will someone please organize an order?

My only request, regardless of color, is that we only buy what you all want to have. It turns out that extra shirts are hard to sell, so I'd rather everyone gets their order in up front and we not buy too many extras to have on hand.

Ian Walmsley

Mar 23, 2016, 11:41:27 AM3/23/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Count is 3 3XL shirts in brown.

No other member has stepped up to organize an order in black.

Please respond here if you want a brown shirt and what size. We will close ordering on 4/6.

Bailey Mader

May 18, 2016, 5:24:58 PM5/18/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
FYI, the shirts at the space were sun-dyed in a fun goalpost pattern from sitting near the window. So we will need to replace them if anyone wants a shirt.

Bonus points if anyone can think of a fun way to "hack" the ruined shirts.

That Kid

May 18, 2016, 5:26:47 PM5/18/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

Sell them as limited edition. Or we fould start a space sports team and use them as jerseys (you said goal posts yes?)

Bailey Mader

May 18, 2016, 5:34:41 PM5/18/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Yep.  A big H on your chest.

I bought one already. Going to dip a string in bleach and try to put more lines on it and make it look intentional.

For $10/shirt, I'll organize a shirt-bleaching party...
There are quite a few size Large left. Not much of anything else. If anyone is interested, I'll get specific availability posted.

David Champion

May 19, 2016, 9:53:49 AM5/19/16
to dsmhackerspace
We should start a Calvinball league.