Recommend source for scrap metal?

Brad Freese

Nov 28, 2017, 3:31:01 PM11/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'd like to get a few pieces of flat, scrap iron. Goal is to make a frame for the new laser cutter that can hold pieces of plywood flat. Can anyone recommend a source for this? I'm assuming a junk yard somewhere?

Benjamin Miller

Nov 28, 2017, 4:01:53 PM11/28/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You can buy brand new steel online from dmsteel.com and pick it up locally for small amounts of money.

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup'ery, In Design

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Brad Freese <bradley...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to get a few pieces of flat, scrap iron. Goal is to make a frame for the new laser cutter that can hold pieces of plywood flat. Can anyone recommend a source for this? I'm assuming a junk yard somewhere?

Ryan Renze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:22:38 PM11/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I 2nd Des Moines Steel for buying new steel. They have reasonable prices and they do free cuts. As far as cheaper options, try calling or texting Keegan at (515) 779-3985 and see if he is still selling used steel.

Another for scrap steel and lots of other surplus items is Ott Equipment Co in Ankeny. There address is 1157 SW Ordnance Rd, Ankeny, IA 50023. That is an interesting place that I would be more than happy to give you an introduction and a short tour.

I also have several I-beams and round tubing that I might be able to sell at a reasonable price. I left a small sample of one over by the lathe at the space. I have several of those that are a little over 8' long.

What type of steel are you looking for and how long of pieces? I know a few other guys that have lots of steel and might be able to help.

Ryan

Ben Brown

Nov 29, 2017, 5:55:00 PM11/29/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The pieces are usually pretty large, but Scrap Processors on East 3rd or 4th down by the capitol. Might be able to buy a piece and cut it down.

Brad Freese

Nov 29, 2017, 8:10:26 PM11/29/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking I need 3 pieces of metal. The first around 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick, about 1.5 inches wide and 6 feet long, the second is the same but only about 1/4" thick, the third is the same length, but only 1/4" by 1/4"

Ben, does the band saw in the garage work? And do we have tools to make holes in metal?

Ryan, Ott Equipment sounds intriguing. Especially the surplus part. Are they still open? When I do a google search it looks like their domain name is for sale.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM Ben Brown <benfletc...@gmail.com> wrote:
The pieces are usually pretty large, but Scrap Processors on East 3rd or 4th down by the capitol. Might be able to buy a piece and cut it down.

Ryan Renze

Nov 29, 2017, 8:53:09 PM11/29/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Brad

I probably have those sizes laying around at home. I will take a look in the next few days and get back to you. If you need it cut and drilled, I might be able to do that too if I have time.

Also, I misunderstood what you were asking for at first and thought you were needing metal to make a whole frame.

Ott equipment is still open. It is a very different, no traditional kind of place. If you want to stop up in Ankeny on a Monday sometime, I will give you an introduction and tour.

Ryan

Ryan Renze

Nov 29, 2017, 9:37:54 PM11/29/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Brad

I took a quick look at what I have and it looks like I have a lot of 3/8"x3/4", 3/8"x1.5", and 1"x1".long section of steel. If any of those sizes work and you know exactly what lengths you need, I can cut them for you. Also, there are a few holes in some of them. Does that matter or should I look for sections that don't have any holes?

Ryan