最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/12 19:55:542016/11/12
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Shall we make it snow in our space? I can bring ribbon and/or fishing line to hang them up.

Nabil Hanke

未読、
2016/11/13 22:55:052016/11/13
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah… we talked about doing a “MakerSpace Snow Day”

It was a face to face discussion among a couple of us, so to fill everyone in on the idea - In short, make a bunch of ornaments for sale/fundraiser. Laser cutter is an obvious choice. Then we could pretty them up beyond just cutting out. And we could do a variety of base material and embellishment combinations.

So who wants to make it snow? ;-)

On Nov 12, 2016, at 6:55 PM, Bailey Steinfadt <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:

Shall we make it snow in our space? I can bring ribbon and/or fishing line to hang them up.

Tim-S

未読、
2016/11/13 23:13:422016/11/13
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Better than it raining in the space again, I suppose :-D

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/14 10:15:592016/11/14
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The thingiverse link is a snowflake generator for the 3D printers. You can design your own, or they have a random generator.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Better than it raining in the space again, I suppose :-D

Ray Scheufler

未読、
2016/11/14 10:36:282016/11/14
To: Des Moines Hackerspace
From reading that thingiverse item, what they are doing with the customizer isn't too fancy.  We could probably replicate it as an inkscape extension which would make laser cutting easier.

Ray Scheufler

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bailey Steinfadt <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:
The thingiverse link is a snowflake generator for the 3D printers. You can design your own, or they have a random generator.
On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Better than it raining in the space again, I suppose :-D

Lucas Peters

未読、
2016/11/14 10:56:002016/11/14
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
This pattern should be in issue 229 on your WOOD archive:
You _may_ be able to coax those patterns into your laser.
LP

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/14 11:10:572016/11/14
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Interlocking ones would be cool with acrylic and a light/battery tucked into the ribbon.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Lucas Peters <lucas...@gmail.com> wrote:
This pattern should be in issue 229 on your WOOD archive:
You _may_ be able to coax those patterns into your laser.
LP
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Ray Scheufler <dr.bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
From reading that thingiverse item, what they are doing with the customizer isn't too fancy.  We could probably replicate it as an inkscape extension which would make laser cutting easier.

Ray Scheufler
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bailey Steinfadt <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:
The thingiverse link is a snowflake generator for the 3D printers. You can design your own, or they have a random generator.
On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Better than it raining in the space again, I suppose :-D

Lucas Peters

未読、
2016/11/14 11:54:372016/11/14
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
If you do that, send pictures!

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Bailey Steinfadt <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool! Interlocking ones would be cool with acrylic and a light/battery tucked into the ribbon.
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Lucas Peters <lucas...@gmail.com> wrote:
This pattern should be in issue 229 on your WOOD archive:
You _may_ be able to coax those patterns into your laser.
LP
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Ray Scheufler <dr.bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
From reading that thingiverse item, what they are doing with the customizer isn't too fancy.  We could probably replicate it as an inkscape extension which would make laser cutting easier.

Ray Scheufler
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Bailey Steinfadt <runne...@gmail.com> wrote:
The thingiverse link is a snowflake generator for the 3D printers. You can design your own, or they have a random generator.
On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
Better than it raining in the space again, I suppose :-D

Allan Merz-Rosendale

未読、
2016/11/15 12:58:392016/11/15
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Sounds super cool! Maybe we can get the actual snow to come out and play.

Matt Stanton

未読、
2016/11/15 16:43:322016/11/15
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Howdy makers,

Since moving to Virginia I've joined a makerspace (Staunton Makerspace), and there is a guy here named Josh who does a lot of work with the Lasersaur (really nice open source 100W laser cutter, though it doesn't do raster).  He will cut acrylic and then lay a mask over it to sandblast the surface so that LED edge lighting will illuminate the sandblasted areas.

I wonder if you could find some sort of vinyl that you could stick to the surface of the acrylic, cut the vinyl in one pass, then the acrylic in the second.  Then you could peel out the areas of the snowflake that should be "frosted", sandblast them and peel off the remaining masked vinyl areas for a snowflake that is a mix of frosted and ice-clear.

I doubt that vinyl is a good choice, really, because it retracts from the cut because of the heat.  There may be some sort of adhesive paper that may be safe to "lase".  He explained once that his sandblaster is extremely low power, so it doesn't require a lot of the specialized equipment that is normally required for materials like glass.

Just a thought.  I might steal the idea, btw.  ;D

Peace,
Matt (N0BOX)

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/15 16:48:592016/11/15
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Big wide pieces of masking tape seems to work. Not sure how they'd stand up to sandblasting, though.

Ray Scheufler

未読、
2016/11/15 16:49:432016/11/15
To: Des Moines Hackerspace
Vinyl is a bad idea.  It releases Clorine gas when cut, that kills you / the mirrors.

There are lots of tapes that would work.  The most basic painters tape reacts fine in a laser.  You probably woudln't even need two passes.  The cut lines would just be with more power and the etch lines would be with less power.  It should be able to cut through the tape and acrylic at the same time.  Note that this will end up with an outline around your sand blased area.

Ray Scheufler

Matt Stanton

未読、
2016/11/15 17:08:242016/11/15
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I personally like the idea of having a fine line to separate the sandblasted areas, though some people might not.  Josh usually cuts vinyl using a separate vinyl cutter/plotter and then lays it onto the acrylic.  Anyway, I have seen adhesive papers for professional use (generally used for creating printed/cut stickers), but I'm not sure how safe the adhesive or a possible gloss/polymer layer on the paper might be for lasing.  They are sold for use in printers/plotters, not laser cutters.

I had wondered if vinyl might release some dangerous fumes.  Intuitively I assumed it would, but didn't know for sure.

Thanks,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/29 13:56:272016/11/29
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
So I'm going to try and get some snowflakes made tonight ahead of Snow Day. I bought ribbon in both Christmas and general wintery colors to hang them up. I also got a can of spray snow to decorate the window! I could use some help getting a few made on the printers.

Snow Day will be 7pm on December 8th. See you there!

Nabil Hanke

未読、
2016/11/29 15:51:552016/11/29
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Cool

I was gonna ask when we wanted to do snow day so we can get publicity.

Dan cut an awesome one on Sunday.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/29 15:59:222016/11/29
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Here is the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/699306513554548/

Please share to family and friends!

Tim-S

未読、
2016/11/29 19:52:582016/11/29
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 2:59:22 PM UTC-6, Bailey Steinfadt wrote:
Here is the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/699306513554548/

Please share to family and friends!

To save a click, in case you just wanted the date/time:

Area515 Makerspace

1731 Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/30 10:53:532016/11/30
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Also, if you have craft paint, ribbon, glitter, or other things to decorate with and are willing to part with them, we could use some extras to let people customize their snowflakes.

--

Nabil Hanke

未読、
2016/11/30 18:40:452016/11/30
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I just submitted an event in downtowndesmoines.com

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/11/30 19:10:552016/11/30
To: dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

I posted to art beacon, business insider, and the register.

Chris Johnson

未読、
2016/12/06 16:02:512016/12/06
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
There are samples of all 16 printed snowflakes (in named order) on the table at the space.  Some of them should be culled from the selections. Way too fragile!

Bailey Steinfadt

未読、
2016/12/06 16:19:292016/12/06
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thank you for being on top of this and other things the last few days, Chris!

Chris Johnson

未読、
2016/12/06 16:32:122016/12/06
To: Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space