xyzprinter

Dan Hockey

Feb 11, 2016, 11:17:27 AM2/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-da-vinci-jr-10-3d-printer/29038403?ean=4715872745510

vs

to me these look like the thing but one has wifi. the only reason why I was looking is I could get 20% off with my membership this morning.

Ray Scheufler

Feb 11, 2016, 11:26:22 AM2/11/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I would still avoid it.  You are locked into their filament.

Ray Scheufler

Mike Longnecker

Feb 11, 2016, 12:21:03 PM2/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
+1 to what Ray said. Also what I've seen of their print quality and construction quality, not that great.

Mike Longnecker

Dan Hockey

Feb 11, 2016, 1:45:37 PM2/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks, good thing I asked.

Brad Freese

Feb 11, 2016, 2:11:36 PM2/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
For what it's worth, Xerocraft in Tucson has a Da Vinci printer and they figured out how to hack the cartridges so you can refill them.  I'm not advocating you get the printer though, I don't recall the print quality being all that better than the Replicator clone we had.

If anyone needs to hack the cartridges I could put you in touch with the person who did it in Tucson.

Ray Scheufler

Feb 11, 2016, 2:23:54 PM2/11/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I think you are referring to the older Da Vinci that has chips in the cartridges.  It looks like this model uses spools that have NFC / RFID chips.  From my cursory google search there hasn't been much luck in breaking the NFC / RFID scheme.

Ray Scheufler

beernutz

Feb 11, 2016, 2:28:38 PM2/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Here is a thread where they are working on cracking the rfid scheme.