Harald Haas: A breakthrough new kind of wireless Internet | TED Talk | TED.com

Nabil Hanke

Nov 21, 2015, 10:29:46 PM11/21/15
to Area515

beernutz

Nov 21, 2015, 10:43:13 PM11/21/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that is impressive!

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Nabil Hanke <nabil...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.ted.com/talks/harald_haas_a_breakthrough_new_kind_of_wireless_internet?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=technology#t-426919

Eugen Burianov

Nov 22, 2015, 9:56:59 AM11/22/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Can you do much without making it bidirectional though....? And not sure if they can make it while being as cost effective.

Eugen Burianov

Nov 22, 2015, 10:27:42 AM11/22/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I guess it could be supplemented by a satellite connection for up-stream

David Champion

Nov 22, 2015, 1:46:23 PM11/22/15
to dsmhackerspace
Satellite internet doesn't use the satellite for the upload, it uses a phone modem. The upload and terrible latency are big drawbacks of satellite for internet.

"Each remote location may also be equipped with a telephone modem; the connections for this are as with a conventional dial-up ISP. Two-way satellite systems may sometimes use the modem channel in both directions for data where latency is more important than bandwidth, reserving the satellite channel for download data where bandwidth is more important than latency, such as for file transfers."

-dc

David Champion

Nov 22, 2015, 1:53:41 PM11/22/15
to dsmhackerspace
I could see this light receiver working to replace the satellite dish for a fixed installation on a building, but you need line of sight. It wouldn't be very convenient for a cell phone that spends a lot of time in your pocket.

-dc

David Champion

Nov 22, 2015, 2:02:53 PM11/22/15
to dsmhackerspace
Point-to-point communication with light has existed for a long time. Not sure (other than using a cheap commercial light bulb) what is a breakthrough in the Ted Talk presentation.

-dc

Matt Stanton

Nov 22, 2015, 2:51:46 PM11/22/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I think the way they may plan to make this work might be to use powerline ethernet as the physical connection between a central router and each "Li-Fi" AP.  You would, of course, have to have your phone out of your pocket for it to make use of Li-Fi, but it should be capable of being significantly faster than Wi-Fi, given the much wider bandwidth available and Wi-Fi's range vs speed issues.

As for WAN use, I think this is really meant to be more for local networking than for a long-distance uplink.  You could utilize Li-Fi for the local link to a more traditional uplink, such as Li-Fi to a street light (and also connecting the street lights to each other, maybe) but then linking the local group of street lights to the Internet with fiber (similar to how the cell phone towers are used as the local link to devices and each other, but the final long-distance connection being fiber).

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my <advertisement for worthless mobile product>

Nabil Hanke

Nov 22, 2015, 10:52:07 PM11/22/15
to Area515

The primary element in the presentation I took note of was the reuse of other infrastructure to lower costs.

I've been hearing a few different things about the different intents to do air born internet infrastructure that would cut latency by physical proximity and increase signal strength by having less atmosphere to cut through than satellite. The two primary means I've read about are lasers and radio. Solar panels seem like a good target fire lasers. All of it requires significant stretching of existing tech and imagination to come to fruition.