Space work day: Saturday, Sunday, etc

Tim-S

Oct 13, 2017, 8:03:47 PM10/13/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Hey all,

We need help.

The art show is scheduled to start in the back area a week from today. Due to a HUGE effort from a lot of volunteers (special thanks to Don, Bailey, Lisa, Dan, Chris, and everyone else involved! Sorry, I don't know the whole list.), the back area is much cleaner than it was. However, even after the work that has been done already, I am not comfortable holding an event back there. It's going to take a lot more work.

I will be at the space tomorrow and Sunday to do as much as possible, and I'll sincerely appreciate any available help. I've traded tasks with Bailey. She is now in charge of getting the new laser cutter set up so that artists (first) and then members can get cuts off. I am going to be putting every hour of available free time towards preparing the space for the art show.

Things that need to be done:
 - Cubes and stuff need to be moved back to the storage area (thanks to Don and Dan for painting it!)
 - HVAC and conduit needs to be safety wired to the ceiling in the back area. Please note that the plaster on the ceiling should not be trusted. Make sure you run screws into the lath or, better, the floor joists above.
 - The remaining interior wall needs to be taken down. Start at the top by unhooking junction boxes. I'd prefer to do this myself. Only take this on if you are extremely comfortable and understand the risks involved in bringing down walls.
 - The remaining drop ceiling needs to be taken down. Same story as above. Be careful not to bring down too much at once.
 - Light fixtures need to either be safety wired to the ceiling by all four corners, or brought down completely (and any exposed wiring terminated properly).
 - Any areas with insufficient lighting need to have LED strips or shop lights installed temporarily.
 - The dark paint on the walls in the back area needs to be primed ( I will bring primer and painting supplies tonight).
 - After the primer has dried, the walls in the back need to be painted (someone is donating paint after 1pm tomorrow).
 - The main area of our space needs to be cleaned thoroughly and made presentable. The recent water damage has made this more difficult.

This is a very large amount of work. It is absolutely achievable, but I need help. It doesn't matter when. I'll be around for most of the weekend and many evenings after work. If I'm not there, please help with something anyway.

Thanks. I will owe you all beer / pizza / whatever it takes.

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 13, 2017, 8:25:27 PM10/13/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to Alan, Ben, Lisa, Guy, Amenda, Ward, Don, Dan, Chris, Dellas, Jason, and all the external helpers, people I've forgotten, and people who've been working when I'm not there for your help over the last week!

Don Cady

Oct 14, 2017, 2:16:33 AM10/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Note the IMT Races are this weekend. I'd say "Marathon", except they're having a 1-mile, 5-mile, 5K, Relay, Half Marathon, and Full Marathon..
http://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/
Roads will be closed sporadically. Grand will be closed at least Sunday morning, maybe more. Other non-arterial roads will be closed longer. Getting to/from the space is going to be 'interesting'. Parking could be anywhere from mildly irritating to downright impossible, depending on time of day.

This message has been brought to you by the letter M.

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 14, 2017, 10:28:09 AM10/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Don. That would have been confusing had we not known what's going on tomorrow. Road closures here: http://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Engineering/StreetClosures/Des%20Moines%20Marathon.pdf

G&L doesn't mind if you walk through their lot, so if nothing else, parking on High Street isn't too far, and is usually forgotten about by most.

The walls, ceiling, and light fixtures that needed coming down are down.

Tim and I will be in some time this morning after packing the laser in the car and staying most of the day. I'll be working on setting up the laser and Tim will be in the back starting debris cleanup. The rest of the to do list still needs doing, and even the smallest duration of y'all's time would help.

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 15, 2017, 10:59:40 AM10/15/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Roads around the space are open and there is plenty of parking. Come help us tidy up, please!

Tim-S

Oct 15, 2017, 10:02:28 PM10/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thanks to everyone for the help! Celeste, Ward, Bailey, Jason, and Chris put a huge amount of time into furthering the space cleanup and improvements. Also thanks to the scrappers who came to pick up all the metal studs and whatnot. They were total champs.

The building manager talked about bringing in a crew to clean up the construction debris. If that hasn't happened by Tuesday or Wednesday evening, we should take stuff to the dumpster. Regardless of whether it happens, we need to sweep up quite a bit. Besides that, we need to clean the woodshop area (sawdust, so much sawdust), and finish cleaning the front area and bathroom.

We will want to hang some canvas or similar barrier to keep people out of the very northwest corner of the construction zone. Bailey already bought canvas.