Tazbot 5

Will Dobbins

Nov 10, 2015, 2:28:39 PM11/10/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Does anyone local have a Tazbot 5 with a Flexystruder?

Mike Longnecker

Nov 10, 2015, 3:02:00 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

They're just called a Taz 5. I have a Taz, and I have the stuff to make a flexystruder to put on it, why do you need one?

On Nov 10, 2015 1:28 PM, "Will Dobbins" <zan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone local have a Tazbot 5 with a Flexystruder?

Will Dobbins

Nov 10, 2015, 3:15:43 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to add another printer to my collection, specifically to print semiflex. Looking for off the shelf because I don't want to spend time hacking together solutions.

My CTC 3D is running 1.75mm filament out a .4mm nozzle at about 40mm/s and I'm wondering if I can match or surpass that with the flexystruder.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space" group.

Mike Longnecker

Nov 10, 2015, 3:31:07 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I dont actually have one, but for some reason the thought of using one for flexible filament never crossed my mind, despite me owning a budashnozzle and having all the parts sitting around for one...

To get a sense of speed heres a V1 running (video posted by Lulzbot on their blog, they have a lot of pre setup cura profiles that you can take a look at too) https://www.lulzbot.com/blog/introducing-ninjaflex-and-flexystruder

Heres a review, doesnt mention speed but shows a couple nice prints http://makezine.com/2014/07/07/review-lulzbot-flexystruder-flexible-filament-extruder/

https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2670 and this is a "V1.1" someone in the community made. Knowing Lulzbot, they likely used this design in consideration for the V2 flexystruder (guy is getting 80-100mm/sec with his design, one of the people who commented on the video reported 50mm/sec on their stock V1 flexystruder)

Just looking around it seems it can be tuned to print pretty quickly and reliably. Bear in mind any printer you buy is going to require some tuning to get the most of it, especially with flexible filaments. FWIW, I'm going to be printing a Flexystruder ASAP to quickswap with my Kraken for flexible filaments.

Will Dobbins

Nov 10, 2015, 3:34:17 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
An I correct that a flexystruder should bolt onto my current prusa with minimal effort if I wanted to test that before springing for a tax 5?

Mike Longnecker

Nov 10, 2015, 3:35:35 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:57668 Using something like this, yes it should work.

Mike Longnecker

Nov 10, 2015, 3:46:11 PM11/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:396949 This might actually be better, since you probably will be getting a V2 flexystruder with a hexagon and fan, and youll need http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:845113 for mounting the fan

Will Dobbins

Nov 16, 2015, 11:55:51 AM11/16/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I actually found the source files for the Taz and merged their X carriage with the one I have for the prusa... I've not tested it yet but it looks like it will enable the french cleat style toolhead to just bolt in.