Right to Repair...in Iowa

Kai

May 10, 2018, 11:26:06 PM5/10/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Y'all aware of a few legislative pieces going through Iowa government?
Reads like repair rights for mom and pop repair shops and owners of
devices. Companies are required to provide specs and what not to us,
same as they provide to their big repair shops.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/LGI/87/HF556.pdf
https://iowa.repair.org/?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=ifixit

This is a great thing for us to push, neh? Are there any holes?

Later,

--
Kai e'Kael

beernutz

May 10, 2018, 11:28:33 PM5/10/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
This is wonderful!  I really hope it does not get lobbied into extinction.

Tim-S

May 11, 2018, 1:30:34 PM5/11/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Speaking as "Tim who is a board member" instead of "Tim who is a tinkerer" for a minute.

This is a great thing for us to push, neh?

While this discussion is interesting to a lot of people in the group and is worth discussing between members, please note that Area515 itself does not have a position on any political issue. As a 501(c)3, we can't be involved.

I'm not trying to tell anyone to shut up, btw. This is a topic that's relevant to many members' interests. I just want to clarify that individual members are welcome to push a position as long as it's presented as your personal position, not as the position of Area515.

beernutz

May 11, 2018, 2:24:10 PM5/11/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Is that a political position?  I always viewed it as more of a practical position, and one well aligned with what we as a group do.

Bailey Steinfadt

May 11, 2018, 2:47:13 PM5/11/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
We shouldn't lobby for laws as a 501c3.

We can provide a forum for members to discuss how the law affects their current and potential projects.

Kai

May 11, 2018, 3:28:51 PM5/11/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
My call is to Iowa Makers (especially us Fixers) in general to act, not specifically Area515.

Respect to the Area515 president and staff for upholding the correct action for Area515.

Now, the rest of you, consider and contact blah legislative blah as you wish.
Kai e'Kael

Ray Scheufler

May 11, 2018, 3:58:10 PM5/11/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I don't think the issue was who your call was to.  I believe that the issue is making sure that who you are representing is clear.  As a 501(c)3 organization, the organization should not be doing anything political.  As a person you are welcome to be political.  We just want to be sure that the way things are framed it is you as an individual, not you representing the organization.

Personally, I read through the iowa.gov link and I think it is actually well written and has pretty good provisions for both the manufacturer and the repair shops.
Personally, I don't like the tone of the repair.org article since I happen to work for John Deere and that is one of the companies routinely villified.
If you would like deeper opinions about this subject, I'd be happy to discuss in person.

Ray Scheufler