433 mhz tx/rx

Justin Richeson

Oct 13, 2016, 10:34:35 PM10/13/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Anyone have a spare set they'd be willing to sell or anyone want to go in on a group buy? was looking to get some from amazon but it makes more sense to buy a 10 pack than just the one I need....  I want to try to set up my pi to control some home automation outlets I got.  Too bad I found out about the ESP8266 based ones AFTER I got these.

Dave Weis

Oct 13, 2016, 10:55:27 PM10/13/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

I've got some from Ali express. You can have a pair if you want them.

On Oct 13, 2016 9:34 PM, "Justin Richeson" <neoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have a spare set they'd be willing to sell or anyone want to go in on a group buy? was looking to get some from amazon but it makes more sense to buy a 10 pack than just the one I need....  I want to try to set up my pi to control some home automation outlets I got.  Too bad I found out about the ESP8266 based ones AFTER I got these.

Ray Scheufler

Oct 14, 2016, 12:19:56 PM10/14/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I have a bunch of esp8266's if you would like to add them to the existing outlets you bought.

Ray Scheufler

Justin Richeson

Oct 17, 2016, 12:55:15 PM10/17/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave!  Will you be at the space at all any time?  I'm hoping to make the open house tomorrow night unless something else comes up.  Otherwise I can swing by there or somewhere else...just need to know when/where.

Ray, thanks for the offer!  Did some looking around and it sounds like these sockets don't easily interface directly with esp8266's by adding them to the sockets hence the RPI control.  I've got one esp/NodeLUA I'm working up to control my garage door and I'm planning on setting up one of my SD Cards with OpenHAB or something to integrate control of different devices.  If I can start getting some of this to work there's probably another Raspberry Pi in my future :).  Too bad the MPEG codec licenses don't transfer...I'd probably get a 3 this time (have a 2...3 came out like a month after I got the last one)

Any input on the best way to program the esp8266's?  I find LUA to be rather confusing so far and getting files on the board and running seems to be a bit difficult.  I unfortunately just haven't had much time to play with it.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space" group.

Ray Scheufler

Oct 17, 2016, 1:01:48 PM10/17/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

Re esp programming:
I started with programming using node MCU and lua. I agree that is different. I haven't really programmed in lua so I am probably making a bunch of beginner mistakes. I have had best luck using the arduino ide to program it. If you download the latest version of the ide the board manager has an option to download esp8266 packages and then it just programs quite well. There are a reasonable number of libraries for the esp. It is easy to smash together sample code from the different examples and build a system. My word clock is being driven by an esp8266 with code written using the arduino ide.it hosts a configuration web page and synchs time with ntp servers.

Ray Scheufler

Dave Weis

Oct 17, 2016, 2:12:39 PM10/17/16
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Justin Richeson <neoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Dave!  Will you be at the space at all any time?  I'm hoping to make the open house tomorrow night unless something else comes up.  Otherwise I can swing by there or somewhere else...just need to know when/where.

I'm not actually a member, just a list lurker. I can bring them to my office at 2411 Grand and leave them up front for you. I will have them here tomorrow.

Ray, thanks for the offer!  Did some looking around and it sounds like these sockets don't easily interface directly with esp8266's by adding them to the sockets hence the RPI control.  I've got one esp/NodeLUA I'm working up to control my garage door and I'm planning on setting up one of my SD Cards with OpenHAB or something to integrate control of different devices.  If I can start getting some of this to work there's probably another Raspberry Pi in my future :).  Too bad the MPEG codec licenses don't transfer...I'd probably get a 3 this time (have a 2...3 came out like a month after I got the last one)

I was just reading the article below. It mentions ceiling fans but the same principles would apply to the outlets.

Any input on the best way to program the esp8266's?  I find LUA to be rather confusing so far and getting files on the board and running seems to be a bit difficult.  I unfortunately just haven't had much time to play with it.

If you're familiar with the Arduino ecosystem you can use the same IDE. That's what I do and it works fine. The majority of the libraries will also function.

Dave Weis

Oct 18, 2016, 9:42:55 AM10/18/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Justin - I have a couple pairs of the radios and a couple other fun parts at the front of my office for you to pick up. Depending on how early open house is I may be able to swing by.

Justin Richeson

Oct 18, 2016, 4:25:47 PM10/18/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Dave, Open house is at 7, but life has come up once again and I'm not sure if I'll get down there tonight anyway :(.  Do you ever get out to the western reaches?  I'm usually somewhere between Waukee, and West Des Moines, or possibly further north by Grimes, but I don't get downtown often unless I'm visiting the space...and usually on rare occasion when I can make an open house.  I'm a non-member lurker as well.  I can only make it < 5 times a year if I'm lucky right now so it just doesn't work out to get a membership yet.  I'm hoping everything's still going strong when my kids get older.  I have a feeling my son might get into STEM some day, but I supposed it's too early to tell despite what he seems interested in now (at age 3).

If not I'll see if I can make it to your office sometime soon.  I may be able to make a stop tomorrow between a number of other appointments I have....

I'm relatively familiar with Arduino, though I'm trying to find a way to work with micro controllers using Visual Studio/VS Code...I'm a .NET developer by trade.