OT-Personal request - old / cheap android

Jeffz

Jul 20, 2015, 7:36:32 PM7/20/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Sorry for asking for something personal on list but know you all keep a lot of tech. I am looking for a cheap smart phone. Only really use it for travel for gps. I use Ting for it and if can send me a private email with the MEID, I can check if it works (of course needs to be unlocked).

Thanks!
Jeff

Ray Scheufler

Jul 20, 2015, 7:40:28 PM7/20/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace

What technology do you need? I have some old Verizon CDMA phones. Just need to know if I should check them.

Ray Scheufler

Jeffz

Jul 20, 2015, 7:44:15 PM7/20/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Verizon's are usually locked but they work if unlocked. CDMA usually work good , I can check the MEID on their webpage.  The best ones I have heard around from tmobile or sprint since they are more open with their phones and Ting is on sprint iirc.

Dan Hockey

Jul 21, 2015, 3:57:57 PM7/21/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The last att phone I tried to transfer to ting wouldn't. Your best bet maybe to find a used sprint phone those tranfer over to ting no problem.

Kalyan Mysore

Jul 21, 2015, 4:02:24 PM7/21/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I might have one. I'll let you know later in the evening or tomorrow.

-Kalyan

beernutz

Jul 21, 2015, 4:17:59 PM7/21/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Just as an FYI, I moved all my phones over to Cricket.  You get unlimited calls, long-distance and texts with no data for $25/month.  Add 2.5gig of 4g/LTE data and it is still only $35 per month.  If you use more than your 2.5gig, it just slows to 3g speeds, but no overage charges at all.

They are on the AT&T network, so it is decent coverage, and works with AT&T or T-Mobile phones (gsm sim card phones basically)
​​
Finally, each line you add they discount $10/month.

My bill for 3 phones comes to $62.50/month.

All this is with no contract.

<shameless_money_grub>
If you decide to try it and you use my referral code below, we both get a $25 credit.
</shameless_money_grub>

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Kalyan Mysore <kalyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I might have one. I'll let you know later in the evening or tomorrow.

-Kalyan

Jeffz

Jul 21, 2015, 4:52:01 PM7/21/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Thanks for the tip Dan, had a problem with other phones that people gave me that were not unlocked. Had a couple phones offered that I am going to try, just have to order a sim card since mine was CDMA previously so did not need one.

That is a pretty good deal! I am such a low volume user that before I dropped and killed my phone I was only getting charged 16 a month, sometimes 22 if I went over my data limit to the next bucket.

That would be great if I was a heavier data user and phone user maybe,  If anyone is a similiar low volume user and switches to ting I got a shameless plug too. We would get $50 each credit ($25 for device / 25 line credit): https://zm7npd3ge89.ting.com/

Kalyan Mysore

Jul 22, 2015, 12:19:57 AM7/22/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I found a phone I used to use previously with Ting. Let me know if your other offers don't work out and I'll figure out how to erase it and give it to you.

-Kalyan.