BattleBots Night?

Jeffrey Ollie

Jun 27, 2015, 10:15:21 PM6/27/15
to dsmhackerspace
Would anyone else want to get together at the space to watch BattleBots?  The 2nd episode airs tomorrow night (Sunday the 28th) at 8:00pm.  It's on ABC - I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun that I could bring down so that we could tune in the OTA signal and project it up on the wall.  If that doesn't work then we'll figure something else out.  If you show up at 7:00pm we could watch the first episode which is on Hulu.

http://abc.go.com/shows/battlebots

--
Jeff Ollie

digge...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2015, 11:21:48 PM6/27/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Cool

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

Jeffrey Ollie

Jun 28, 2015, 7:27:07 PM6/28/15
to dsmhackerspace
Hmph... the space seems to be in some kind of HDTV dead zone, I can't get a good enough signal for the HDHomeRuns to work.  Unless someone has a better antenna than I do we may be out of luck, at least for watching the new episode live tonight.
--
Jeff Ollie

Chris Johnson

Jun 28, 2015, 8:33:06 PM6/28/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
So, can we watch it or ???

Jeffrey Ollie

Jun 28, 2015, 8:34:40 PM6/28/15
to dsmhackerspace
Nope.

Jeff Ollie

Jeffrey Ollie

Jun 28, 2015, 8:53:19 PM6/28/15
to dsmhackerspace
Well, maybe if we can get some audio issues figured out.
--
Jeff Ollie

Jeffrey Ollie

Jun 28, 2015, 8:54:13 PM6/28/15
to dsmhackerspace
Looks like we may have figured it out!
--
Jeff Ollie

Don Cady

Jun 28, 2015, 9:14:20 PM6/28/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

I found another small spool of speaker wire for your 'speakers outside the closet' thought, and put them on top of the wire rack for you.

Don

David Champion

Jun 29, 2015, 12:26:20 AM6/29/15
to dsmhackerspace
Bulk lamp cord works just fine for speaker wire, I'm planning to be at the hardware store tomorrow night and can pick some up.

-dc

David Champion

Jun 29, 2015, 1:03:27 AM6/29/15
to dsmhackerspace
Not surprised you can't get reception. I'm 1 mile West of Area515 and can't get OTA HD reception very well either.

-dc

Nabil Hanke

Jun 29, 2015, 11:53:14 AM6/29/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
We have a plan for next week.

I do find it more than ironic that given the audience they make streaming so difficult. And along with that, I am not terribly optimistic about a second season.

I wish they'd bring back the science perspective they toyed with all too briefly in season 4. And yada yada'ing over three matches is proof to me that the producer doesn't get it.

But I'm still enjoying what they have brought to the table.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Don Cady

Jul 5, 2015, 1:15:46 PM7/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

No kidding. With matches only 3min long, they should be utilizing maximum footage from matches, maybe adding a little more backstory segments (they're only covering half the teams, right?), and minimizing the yada-yada'ing of production and "in-studio" commentary BS from actors who obviously don't care to be there.
They should also cover what has changed since the last set of seasons, in both technology and rules.

and 2nd season? I dunno, it's kinda 50/50 right now. As much as you and I see fault, it's solid in ratings so far. (Google finds > http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/06/29/tv-ratings-sunday-celebrity-family-feud-battlebots-slide-big-brother-hits-low/423885/ (ignore title, read chart)) It was a good move to do this in summer, not up against the public's winter favorites. We'll see...

If they were smart, they'd create a companion E/I show. They could reuse much of the footage, use only one more producer & host and focus on the STEAM aspects of fielding a robot. The networks see the E/I blocks as a dollar sink, and this money saving gem is right under ABC's nose.

Another Battlebots + work on CNC Router tonight?

Don

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 5, 2015, 1:34:53 PM7/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
I was just about to see if enough people were interested/going to be around to do this tonight.  I think we have at least a couple of solutions for the live video streaming - I've got one and it looks like Nabil may have another.  Plus I have a Hulu subscription so depending on when people start showing up we could watch the previous eposides to "catch everyone up" - not that there's a lot to do.

As far as CNC work, I think that the next steps are to get the top boards cut to size and then route a rabbet in them so that the t-slots fit.  That necessitates getting a table saw ready to go.  It sounds like the saw donated by Wood Magazine will just take someone that knows what they are doing a bit of time to look things over.  I could bring a router down but my bit collection isn't the best.

Jeff Ollie

digge...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 2:28:14 PM7/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on the boards today

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

Jul 5, 2015, 4:56:09 PM7/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I'm chilling out at the space now. I would help with setting up the table saws but I don't know what needs to be done.

Ray Scheufler

Tim-S

Jul 5, 2015, 5:21:30 PM7/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I just need to cap my roof. I'll be around by 6.

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 5, 2015, 7:47:02 PM7/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
I'm down here now helping Tim with the table saw... I have the streaming set up so we'll be watching BattleBots at 8:00!