Broken tags... ; [was CNC Router]

Don Cady

Jun 24, 2015, 1:30:04 AM6/24/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Chris Johnson <digge...@gmail.com> wrote:
I may not be down there tonight.  I still need to do more work on the top pieces.  I can't do them at the space since the table saw is down.  If I can get to a good point, I might still make it.
The McMaster order has not arrived so far, but the day is not over.

A thought...I could make a pattern piece and bring it down if someon would like to put the inserts in the top tonight,

Digger

Ok, this brings up the thing/point that we need some sort of "this thing is broken"/lockout tags. At least sheets the same size as the parking tickets that say to the infreqeuent member that a given tool is broken, not to try to use.
Someone already have a ready supply of red paper before I go looking for some?

Don

Dan Hockey

Jun 24, 2015, 6:49:57 AM6/24/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
What you need is a lockout tag. I think I may have one if you want to copy it.

jim kraai

Jun 24, 2015, 9:19:33 AM6/24/15
to dsmhackerspace
here's how i'd overcomplicate it!

red card stock -- old hanging or regular file folders, everywhere in 'paperless' offices
printed -- rubber stamp because they won't go through curved printer paths well. we know how to make a rubber stamp
hole punch -- easy
adhesive hole reinforcements -- nah
braided wire -- easy
split shot sinker for 'tamper indicator' -- hmmm, not a big fan of lead, bismuth would work, or maybe just head-shrink tubing. might not need a tamper indicator with a friendly group of users

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:49 AM, Dan Hockey <icep...@gmail.com> wrote:
What you need is a lockout tag. I think I may have one if you want to copy it.

Ray Scheufler

Jun 24, 2015, 10:14:31 AM6/24/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I think proper lockout tags are a bit overkill.  Just a simple message on Red construction paper / card stock should suffice.

We should probably have a tag on the tablesaw.  Granted, now it is in pieces on the floor and has no motor so it is unlikely to get used.

Ray Scheufler

Nabil Hanke

Jun 24, 2015, 12:11:45 PM6/24/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
A typical lockout mechanism is an encapsulating "cone of shame" the covers the plug end of a power cord. They have rings through which a pad-lock is put to actually lock it out of service. They are common.

For non-powered devices, hazard tape would be a pretty obvious thing.

The mechanism is not the point. The objective needs to be safety that doesn't rely on intent. Following that - timely repair. And a bonus is informing the rest of the members.

The table saw is being worked on and is disassembled to the point that it is impossible to power its active components.

However, it is in four or five parts strewn through the space. So that's another issue, and a bad example. But the repair is simple - a generic  bearing. Shouldn't be more than a few dollars once we get the bad one off.

So a recommendation to the board is to acquire cable lock outs and tape.

Thank you,
Nabíl

David Champion

Jun 24, 2015, 12:14:16 PM6/24/15
to dsmhackerspace
I agree with Ray, tags should be fine.

Seems like Nabil does too... "The mechanism is not the point."

-dc

Bailey Mader

Jun 24, 2015, 12:20:52 PM6/24/15
to dsmhackerspace

Lockout/tagout  devices are for making sure you know you shouldn't, or outright can't, turn something on because someone is working on it, and they are solely responsible for saying when it's safe to turn it back on. Not a bad idea. For tools that are out of service, a sign indicating as such should be fine.

Chris Johnson

Jun 24, 2015, 2:37:26 PM6/24/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm confused...right now, isn't it just a large white-topped picnic table?  Should work fine for that.  I would guess that anyone who is or should be a member could see that is not a CNC router right now.

I do think we should provide signs/tags to put on equipment that looks complete, but is not functional.  the table saw (before last night) would be my first though for an example.
I would also like to point out that the bench grinder (not being bolted down) would be another candidate for a tag.  Drill press with no chuck key, red 3d printer with belts hanging and not heating properly, etc.  It gives potential new members the impression that we don't care about our tools and space, and frustrates existing members.

Bailey also had a good point about food, food remnants, roach picnics, etc. are not leaving anyone very happy.  A nice lady at the drone group meeting was pretty put off by the roaches.  My vote would be that until I see them being as creative as the roaches in Joe's Apartment (anyone remember this one)they shouldn't be members of our space.

Digger

Bailey Mader

Jun 24, 2015, 2:59:43 PM6/24/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
My point was... "Please wipe down the table when you're done eating, hopefully then the roaches will at least stay off the tables."

David Champion

Jun 24, 2015, 3:03:48 PM6/24/15
to dsmhackerspace
It might also be a good idea to take out the garbage, or take your own garbage out at least if you have food waste / bags.

In that building you're never going to be completely rid of roaches.

-dc

Bailey Mader

Jun 24, 2015, 3:47:43 PM6/24/15
to dsmhackerspace
I did petition to get a nicer trash can than the green roll-away one outside our space. Not sure on the status of that. I'll double check.