RFID Door lock out of order

Nabil Hanke

Dec 2, 2016, 10:22:31 PM12/2/16
to Area 515
Door lock is ignoring button and cards.

I'll be around in the morning to let anyone in.

Ray, could you take a look at it again?

Thank you,
Nabíl

Ray Scheufler

Dec 2, 2016, 11:03:08 PM12/2/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

I'm out of town. I'll be back Sunday to look at it.

Ray Scheufler

Ray Scheufler

Dec 4, 2016, 4:41:35 PM12/4/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

Has this been resolved? I can be down at the space in about 45 minutes if there will be a board member to open up.

Ray Scheufler

Nabil Hanke

Dec 4, 2016, 5:20:20 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
It has not yet. I couldn't coax it. But I've also been doing four things at once... folks are there.

Thank you,
Nabíl
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Ray Scheufler

Dec 4, 2016, 5:33:48 PM12/4/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

I got here and it is working. What was wrong?

Ray Scheufler

Nabil Hanke

Dec 4, 2016, 5:34:55 PM12/4/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Fml

Thank you,
Nabíl
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dsmhackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Chris Johnson

Dec 6, 2016, 3:37:39 PM12/6/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
As the front door seems to be iffy right now, when will someone be there tonight with a key?  I was thinking of going down early to get started cutting.

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 4:34:55 PM UTC-6, Nabil Hanke wrote:
Fml

Thank you,
Nabíl

Nabil Hanke

Dec 6, 2016, 4:32:40 PM12/6/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to make it around 5:30

Thank you,
Nabíl

Nabil Hanke

Dec 6, 2016, 7:03:48 PM12/6/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Am here now. And it's working.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Lisa P

Dec 9, 2016, 7:47:15 PM12/9/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
RFID not working this evening? Will anyone be around tonight (Friday) that has a key and can let us in?

Lisa

Tim-S

Dec 10, 2016, 9:53:10 AM12/10/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'll be there by 10am today, and will stay for at least an hour while I fix some ceiling tiles.

Tim-S

Dec 10, 2016, 11:13:04 AM12/10/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The card reader is very intermittent. It worked for me, but not for Bailey 5 minutes later. Then it didn't work for me either (so it's not related to what card you use; I'm guessing its access list is fine).

I rebooted it. I'll be here for awhile, of anyone wants in. I might try to look at the door. I'll warn you that I don't know what I'm doing.

Ray Scheufler

Dec 10, 2016, 11:55:01 AM12/10/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
And when I got here it just worked.  I suspect some kind of power issue.  I logged into the CHIP and noticed that the battery wasn't fully charged.  It is currently charging.  We also removed a power strip from above the ceiling because it all fit on a single strip.

Ray Scheufler

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
The card reader is very intermittent. It worked for me, but not for Bailey 5 minutes later. Then it didn't work for me either (so it's not related to what card you use; I'm guessing its access list is fine).

I rebooted it. I'll be here for awhile, of anyone wants in.  I might try to look at the door. I'll warn you that I don't know what I'm doing.

Tim-S

Dec 10, 2016, 2:36:16 PM12/10/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
When I left, the door was intermittent and mostly not working. There are people at the space, please let each other in for now.

The door must be failing to read RFID cards. The red button does work reliably, even when it is not reading cards.

Nabil Hanke

Dec 11, 2016, 11:50:55 AM12/11/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully.

Ray and I dug into it. Made a new enclosure. Packaged things a bit better. Hot-glued faulty internal connectors. Crossed fingers.

The reader is primarily two parts: RFID reader and a C.H.I.P. Linux microcomputer. The reader talks to the micro over serial. The reader also has a couple LED lights. A red to indicate power and a green right next to it for "I just read a card!!" That light was blipping when we ran a card by it. The micro wasn't getting the message. So we broke out a digital signal analyzer. There was indeed a message being sent out to the micro. The cabling between the two has been flakey. Specifically, it was the orientation of the RX pin on the micro - it felt loose, but when rotated it felt more better and was more reliable. So we glued it in place.

HAL 515 is no more. The new enclosure is bigger to fit things better. There are now instructions for the release button. There is now a label on the outside indicating that it IS a card reader, as well as a target to pass your card across. The reader's red & green diagnostic lights are more visible and labeled. And the latch release LEDs are embedded into the enclosure rather than dangling haphazardly below. They are easier to see and less ugly.

As well, I reinstalled a shim in the lower hinge of the door to prevent it from scraping the ground. It swings more freely.

The door itself does still need addressed by the landlord. And we have been perpetually assured that it is on the todo list and eminently addressed. So feel free to hold your breath.

Thank you,
Nabíl

On Dec 10, 2016, at 1:36 PM, Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I left, the door was intermittent and mostly not working. There are people at the space, please let each other in for now.

The door must be failing to read RFID cards. The red button does work reliably, even when it is not reading cards.

Ray Scheufler

Dec 11, 2016, 11:52:34 AM12/11/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
When I arrived this morning it let me in.  It is at least a bit better than it was before.

Ray Scheufler

Tim-S

Dec 11, 2016, 2:49:03 PM12/11/16
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space