Bearings for spinners

Ray Scheufler

Aug 20, 2017, 8:14:51 PM8/20/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I received the bearings I ordered for spinners. They are the cheapest 608zz that I could find on aliexpress. I'm going to see how well they spin on Tuesday. I may need to use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove some grease and make them spin better. Tim, what is the status of it?

Ray Scheufler

Tim-S

Aug 20, 2017, 8:55:42 PM8/20/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Uh, I used it in my garage and never brought it back (to avoid setting a precedent, PSA: I did not walk off with a space-owned tool. I own the parts cleaner).

I will bring it Tuesday, it gets more use in the space than in my garage.

On a related note, we now have a utility sink! It's roughly installed and I will work on improving things bit by bit. One of the shelves I installed above the utility sink is large enough to store the parts cleaner.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 20, 2017, 9:49:54 PM8/20/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
No problem, I hadn't seen it in a while and I don't really know how to use it so I figured I'd ask.

Ray Scheufler

Ray Scheufler

Aug 22, 2017, 5:12:42 PM8/22/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Related to this topic, is anyone else printing spinner bodies?  We don't have very much time before maker fair.  If we actually want to give out 50 spinners, I need other people to commit to running the machines whenever they are idle.  I can take the mini delta home with me this weekend and print as many as I can but that isn't going to be enough.

Ray Scheufler

Lisa P

Aug 22, 2017, 6:25:22 PM8/22/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I can and will print spinners. Any certain file or the twos or three I know are successful?

But I need to know which computer to use so I can slice them? Or combine more than one. May stop down after radio meeting tonight for guidance. And do I need to print caps as well?

Ray Scheufler

Aug 22, 2017, 9:02:59 PM8/22/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
There is a file on the V2, root of the SD Card, should be the last file in the list.  Should have spinner in the name.

We are dialing in a file on the V1.

We'll print a bunch of caps in a batch once we know how many spinners to use.

Ray Scheufler

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Lisa P <mrsjp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I can and will print spinners. Any certain file or the twos or three I know are successful?

But I need to know which computer to use so I can slice them? Or combine more than one. May stop down after radio meeting tonight for guidance. And do I need to print caps as well?

Ray Scheufler

Aug 23, 2017, 9:27:38 AM8/23/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
We were unable to get a good file on the V1.  Current plan is to print singles on the V2 and the mini.  I may be in this evening to tweak a print for the V1.

These are actually more technically impressive than they may let on.  To get a proper press fit from a 3d printer isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Ray Scheufler

Ray Scheufler

Aug 24, 2017, 8:30:21 PM8/24/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Thanks to Lisa for babysitting​the printers we have a collection of spinner bodies. I will come down and press some bearings in tomorrow evening. I'll probably get to the space around 6:30. Many hands make light work.

Ray Scheufler