Garage opener

Tim-S

Oct 14, 2017, 9:37:56 PM10/14/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Will whoever didn't return the garage door opener please take out the garbage? We were not able to do that today.

Brad Freese

Oct 15, 2017, 10:27:40 AM10/15/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Yesterday I found the remains of the garage door opener on top of the First Aide cabinet.
We really need to get a new garage opener.

Don Cady

Oct 26, 2017, 7:20:16 PM10/26/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I spent over a half hour a couple of weeks ago resoldering that battery clip to the board so it'd stay, but it only lasted a few days, as I saw it in pieces again a few days later. As my effort was obviously not appreciated, I didn't want to put the time in again a second time.

Do we buy a replacement ourselves, and program it to the garage door unit?
Or do we demand the building management give us another one?

Don

Tim-S

Oct 26, 2017, 9:29:56 PM10/26/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Building management replaced our garage door opener within the last 3-4 months. Given that a brand new garage door opener was reduced to its current state in a few months, I do not think it is reasonable to ask the landlord to replace it again.

Lisa P

Oct 27, 2017, 1:17:51 PM10/27/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Sooooo.... Where is it?

Brad Freese

Oct 27, 2017, 3:15:18 PM10/27/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Any specific features the new opener needs to have or could I just grab a new one from Menards?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Lisa P <mrsjp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Sooooo.... Where is it?

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 27, 2017, 3:23:24 PM10/27/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
How about a keychain one vs a sun visor one. Then it may be more likely to stay in one piece as it's designed to be carried around. And we don't have to drill a hole through it to put keys on it.

We can put an obnoxiously large 3D printed THING on it to make it harder to forget in your pocket. ;)

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Brad Freese <bradley...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any specific features the new opener needs to have or could I just grab a new one from Menards?

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Lisa P <mrsjp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Sooooo.... Where is it?

David Champion

Tim-S

Oct 27, 2017, 3:58:43 PM10/27/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
"How about a keychain one"

I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-Chamberlain-374UT-Universal-2-Button/dp/B01IBV8E2K/
...that I clip to my keychain. It has survived a couple years of hanging off my motorcycle, including at interstate speeds. I recommend it. However, we need to find out what frequency the garage door opener uses to ensure that whatever we get will be compatible. They've changed the radio frequencies and communication protocols a few times over the years.

David Champion

Oct 27, 2017, 4:01:56 PM10/27/17
to dsmhackerspace
Or you could go to that page at smile.amazon.com and donate to Area515.

:)

-dc

Tim-S

Oct 27, 2017, 6:07:46 PM10/27/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Fair point on Amazon smile.

Please don't buy anything yet, though. If I can get into the garage this evening I'll look to see what the garage door opener is and try to find out for sure what kind of remote it needs. That way we (hopefully) know the new one will work before we spend the money.

Tim-S

Oct 28, 2017, 10:47:18 AM10/28/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
It's an "Overhead Door" opener, but whether it's compatible with universal remotes will depend on whether it was made before 1995. Overhead Door sells their own universal remotes they guarantee will work.

Dan pointed out we could install a keypad instead, and that might be more reliable.

Don Cady

Oct 28, 2017, 4:09:01 PM10/28/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Brad, Tim is right that just "a new one from Menards" might not work. That Garage door opener is a commercial-class unit, not a home/consumer unit. We've already gone through this once (sometime in the past year) when Ben went out and 'just bought one' like you're wanting to do, and it was incompatible.

Tim, during this episode, the documentation _and_ specs were found (after some digging) online and printed out. (the pdfs may have been saved to the server too, I don't remember) Check the documentation drawer. If y'all threw them away, that's on you.

The keypad option was brought up back then too.

Don

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Tim-S <t.she...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's an "Overhead Door" opener, but whether it's compatible with universal remotes will depend on whether it was made before 1995. Overhead Door sells their own universal remotes they guarantee will work.

Dan pointed out we could install a keypad instead, and that might be more reliable.

Bailey Steinfadt

Oct 28, 2017, 8:07:12 PM10/28/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

There is a documentation drawer?