Desoldering tool 'In-for-$10' thread

Don Cady

May 10, 2018, 11:35:44 PM5/10/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I am often frustrated by the amount of time it takes to desolder things, also at the inefficiency of using the braid and plunger in tight corners.
A desoldering iron/gun/pump seems like the sort of thing people wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves, but perfect for a shared space. This was mentioned at the last quarterly, and IIRC Beau and Zeke had suggestions.
Let's use this thread to pick a model and raise enough through an In-for-$10.

Thanks,
Don

Bailey Steinfadt

May 11, 2018, 12:31:47 AM5/11/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Beau and Zeke both sent me this link independently.

Jake Leister

May 11, 2018, 10:26:59 AM5/11/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Count me in for 10 once you pick a model.

Jake

Ray Scheufler

May 11, 2018, 11:37:24 AM5/11/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I think I am going to sit this one out.  I personally don't desolder enough to justify it.

Here are a couple of cheaper options.  I have no idea what the tradeoffs are between any of the designs.
http://a.co/9XpzdN3
http://a.co/6T02Rys

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Jake Leister <jtlei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Count me in for 10 once you pick a model.

Jake

Zeke Egherman

Beau H

May 11, 2018, 7:11:06 PM5/11/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I have a Aoyue 474A++ and it is a very good quality tool, the only thing to keep in mind is that it does have consumables, the little sponge inside the gun come to mind as the big one. The longevity of the consumables depends on proper operation of the tool clean out solder during and after operation.

Don Cady

May 14, 2018, 10:29:37 PM5/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind what model we get, I just want it to work.
Is this a special sponge, or would any sponge cut up do in a pinch?

We are half-way to funding this, unless someone picks a cheaper model.
Anyone else willing to contribute?

Don

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Beau H <mabove...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a Aoyue 474A++ and it is a very good quality tool, the only thing to keep in mind is that it does have consumables, the little sponge inside the gun come to mind as the big one. The longevity of the consumables depends on proper operation of the tool clean out solder during and after operation.

Zeke Egherman

May 14, 2018, 10:53:22 PM5/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I dont think we should go any lower on price than this, maybe we could use some of the amazonSmile funds to cover some of this project? If not, I can pitch in the rest because I think this would be a great addition to the space. It also would give us the ability to have people donate old electronic stuff for us (it would probably end up just being me because its kinda boring, but i like it) to desolder components from and use in future projects.

Beau H

Brad Freese

May 16, 2018, 10:49:43 AM5/16/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Don -
If you are halfway to funding it and got 10 members donating then the space will cover the other half of the cost. (Btw, count me in)

http://area515.org/wiki/index.php?title=Member_meeting_October_-_2017#Methods_of_Buying_Stuff

Don Cady

May 16, 2018, 6:49:15 PM5/16/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I do like less expensive options, thank you. But the design on the ECG requires two hands to hold it steady and squeeze, leaving none for anything else. The Velleman design is a spring plunger, like what we have now. Ok for a backup option, but the plunger we have now has 'weakened'. I'd prefer to see how this vacuum pump will do. Thank you for looking those up though.

Don

Don Cady

May 16, 2018, 8:42:23 PM5/16/18
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM, Zeke Egherman <ze...@egherman.com> wrote:
I dont think we should go any lower on price than this, maybe we could use some of the amazonSmile funds to cover some of this project?

Not exactly, but sort of. I'll explain in person.

Don

Zeke Egherman

May 16, 2018, 10:19:11 PM5/16/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Don said the following, putting it here for others to comment on:

When he said we were halfway there, he meant that we were halfway to the point where the space would cover the rest. He also brought up the point that the rule about the space covering half requires 10 people to already be in for 10, however given the tool is around 130, the ten person mark would be much over half, and more than we could reasonably achieve in my opinion.

Provided we do not hit the target, I would be willing to increase my contribution to achieve it, however that would make it less of a group-buy than a zeke-buy. Would be interested in others thoughts on this.

Bailey Steinfadt

May 17, 2018, 12:20:27 AM5/17/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
$10 is an arbitrary set point. If you can get people to donate $5 toward it, or whatever, that still counts.

beernutz

May 17, 2018, 12:42:31 AM5/17/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I would like to donate $50 towards this, as i am usually just lurking and would like to contribute a bit more.

I will paypal it on over.

beernutz

May 17, 2018, 12:45:35 AM5/17/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Donation complete.

Zeke Egherman

May 18, 2018, 10:23:56 PM5/18/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Sent my 25

Don Cady

Jun 7, 2018, 10:15:05 PM6/7/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for supporting this. We've reached the necessary amount and the desoldering station has been ordered.
If you've pledged but haven't actually contributed yet, you can drop a cash or check in the black box with a note it's for the desoldering station or send via the normal space paypal with a note.

Thank you again,
Don

Sent my 25

Jake Leister

Jun 7, 2018, 11:24:10 PM6/7/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Done!

Lisa P

Jun 8, 2018, 11:04:52 PM6/8/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I left a check to cover two in for tens and it hasn’t been cashed yet. (Desoldering and radio shack bin)

Brooke Hedrick

Jun 8, 2018, 11:11:30 PM6/8/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I have that exact model from Amazon and it works well for me.  It is fairly easy to clean out the solder too.

Sent from my iPhone