Re: CNC Router

Matthew Gidel

Jul 15, 2015, 12:15:54 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
How many do we need and is 6mm ok?

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:47:07 PM UTC-5, Chris Johnson wrote:
We won't know until we see  where we are after tonight.  Hope to get the recuts done to the tabletop and side lifted pieces.  From there it is reassembling it all.  We might need to have you disassemble the X-carriage and work on widening it.  The new bolts are there, but we need spacers built/printed/bought.  They should be 20mm long and 5mm internal hole

Chris

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 12:16:02 PM UTC-5, Matthew Gidel wrote:
I am thinking of going in on Wednesday if there is anything I can do.

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 6:48:26 PM UTC-5, Mike Longnecker wrote:
So now that we have SheetCAM, will this work to generate toolpaths for the Mogul in the back, and what is left to get that working? I have a really cool project I’d like to do that requires a CNC router, and I’m sure others would love to use it at some point. I’m up for helping to get it running.

Mike Longnecker

Chris Johnson

Jul 15, 2015, 1:50:21 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
As long as they are about 18-200 in length, I think we can make them work,  I think we need 4

Chris Johnson

Jul 15, 2015, 2:12:51 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I will be working tonight...since I forgot the Dado insert last night.  Probably be there around 6:30-7:00
Anyone wanting to play should show up.

Chris

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 15, 2015, 4:18:22 PM7/15/15
to dsmhackerspace
I plan on coming down tonight.  I'd like to work on getting the ethernet cables terminated.

Jeff Ollie

David Champion

Jul 15, 2015, 4:34:13 PM7/15/15
to dsmhackerspace
Don had asked me via email about wall plates and jacks. I don't have any spares other than the ones I had previously donated.

We can pick them up at Graybar, or possibly Home Despot if needed. I don't know that I'll be available tonight.

-dc

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 15, 2015, 4:40:29 PM7/15/15
to dsmhackerspace

I'm pretty sure that I have everything I need already.

Util designs

Jul 15, 2015, 5:04:23 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
As fair warning to anyone going down to the space tonight, the compressor on the air conditioner is being replaced. Last update was not certain that it would be done today and may until tomorrow until it is replaced.

It is a little warm in there.

Sent from my iPhone

Matthew Gidel

Jul 15, 2015, 5:05:17 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
McMaster has some that I can order.

Don Cady

Jul 15, 2015, 7:01:03 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yaaaayy!!   :)

(It's been atrocious the past week)

Don Cady

Jul 15, 2015, 7:09:21 PM7/15/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Note I was asking for all the pairs hanging out of the walls, not just the 2 pairs at the new cnc router spot. Also, we _could_ print some of the wall plates. It won't look as nice, nor be as easy or cheap as commercially produced and sold plates, but I suppose printed plates would "fit" in a hackerspace. ;)

Don

Matt Stanton

Jul 16, 2015, 12:38:08 AM7/16/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
And you could add neat designs all over them, like lightning bolts, the Area515 logo (with a lightning bolt replacing the "1", of course), and words like "hot", "return" and "hopefully earth ground".  :D

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my <advertisement for annoying mobile product />

Don Cady

Jul 18, 2015, 1:19:13 AM7/18/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

We didn't end up printing them, as Jeffrey found a cache of them in the back of his car.., but I'll have to remember that for the future.

ps. I'm lovin' that sig line.

Don

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 19, 2015, 1:18:05 PM7/19/15
to dsmhackerspace
Anyone working on the CNC tonight?  I'll won't be getting down there until a little after 6:00 to set up for BattleBots but that could be time to get a few things done.

--
Jeff Ollie

Chris Johnson

Jul 19, 2015, 1:57:26 PM7/19/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
The replacement bed side is remade and done.  The material for the gantry lift pads are here.  Don is supposed to be coming down to help me with some remodeling today, in the back room.

Your print came out great! How many more do you need?  Mike L. found the new (read: right size) carriages and I am reprinting mine right now.  I may actually have a running delta soon.

Chris

Jeffrey Ollie

Jul 19, 2015, 2:27:21 PM7/19/15
to dsmhackerspace

I need one more bracket, and I need to print out the pieces for the extruder design I found on the delta users list. Most of those pieces are pretty small so that should go quickly.

Chris Johnson

Jul 19, 2015, 3:48:16 PM7/19/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
You are not using the SeeMeCNC extruder?

Bailey Mader

Jul 20, 2015, 5:08:41 PM7/20/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Annoying, but vital, request. Could you guys send me a couple pics of you working on the CNC, some progress shots, or even a short video so we can post something on our social media? I know you're working hard on it, I want others to see that too!

Chris Johnson

Jul 22, 2015, 12:29:31 AM7/22/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
For those on the CNC rebuild team that want to work on Wednesday night, here is a list of things that need to get done.:
  • The X-carriage needs to be split and widened with the new spacers and longer bolts.
  • The wiring needs to be reinstalled through the X-axis and  terminated
  • The entire X,Y gantry assembly needs to be put back together so we can set it in the table top to measure for the Z height pads to be cut and edged.
  • All holes under the T-Trak strips need to enlarged by 2 bit sizes, for side to side adjustment.
  • All top pieces and T-Trak need to be assembled, adjusted and screwed down to threaded inserts.
I think I will be there, but depending on a job task, I might miss this one.

Chris

Don Cady

Jul 23, 2015, 5:57:28 PM7/23/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately we didn't get any of this finished;

> For those on the CNC rebuild team that want to work on Wednesday night, here is a list of things that need to get done.:
> The X-carriage needs to be split and widened with the new spacers and longer bolts.

This was taken apart and put back together a couple times, and we've determined we need some 8mm spacers and are confused as to how the middle wheels go back in.

> The wiring needs to be reinstalled through the X-axis and  terminated

Nope.  ...but while looking online for pictures of the Mogul was originally put together, I saw many newer revisions they shipped with cable drag chains instead of the grey sheath. We may want one in the future..

> The entire X,Y gantry assembly needs to be put back together so we can set it in the table top to measure for the Z height pads to be cut and edged.

Nope.

> All holes under the T-Trak strips need to enlarged by 2 bit sizes, for side to side adjustment.

A couple different bits fit what is already there, wasn't sure what size was used originally, didn't want to go _too_ large. Demoralized from the above, I erred on the side of caution and haven't drilled them any larger yet. Result:
Nope.

> All top pieces and T-Trak need to be assembled, adjusted and screwed down to threaded inserts.

Nope.

> I think I will be there, but depending on a job task, I might miss this one.
>
> Chris

Don

Don Cady

Aug 5, 2015, 3:42:56 PM8/5/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
  • All holes under the T-Trak strips need to enlarged by 2 bit sizes, for side to side adjustment.
  • All top pieces and T-Trak need to be assembled, adjusted and screwed down to threaded inserts.
These two are done.

  • The X-carriage needs to be split and widened with the new spacers and longer bolts.
A roll that can be split into 8 or 9 or 10mm spacers has been printed. The X carriage needs put back together, then the following two:
  • The wiring needs to be reinstalled through the X-axis and  terminated
  • The entire X,Y gantry assembly needs to be put back together so we can set it in the table top to measure for the Z height pads to be cut and edged.

Who is available when, so we can make progress on this?

Don

Jeffrey Ollie

Aug 5, 2015, 4:01:22 PM8/5/15
to dsmhackerspace
I could come down Saturday for a few hours in the afternoon, $DAYJOB has me very busy at the moment.

Jeff Ollie

Ray Scheufler

Aug 5, 2015, 4:03:09 PM8/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
The roll that was printing last night when I left was for the robotics team.  The spacers for the router were sliced and in a folder on the printer laptop for later printing.  I also have another impellor in that gcode file.  It is on the desktop in a folder "Slided files for the rostock"

Ray Scheufler

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Don Cady <don...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nabil Hanke

Aug 5, 2015, 7:09:04 PM8/5/15
to Area515

We switched out and got those printed last night.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 5, 2015, 7:46:16 PM8/5/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace

OK. I guess you guys stayed much later than I thought.

Ray Scheufler

Don Cady

Aug 6, 2015, 11:40:12 PM8/6/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Good to know.
I'm available Sunday, but maybe I could stop in for a bit Sat. too.

I could come down Saturday for a few hours in the afternoon, $DAYJOB has me very busy at the moment.
  • The X-carriage needs to be split and widened with the new spacers and longer bolts.
A roll that can be split into 8 or 9 or 10mm spacers has been printed. The X carriage needs put back together, then the following two:

Nabil and I put the carriage back together tonight, sans the motors, switches and wiring.
  • The wiring needs to be reinstalled through the X-axis and  terminated
  • The entire X,Y gantry assembly needs to be put back together so we can set it in the table top to measure for the Z height pads to be cut and edged.
We also put this back together _just enough_ to measure and brainstorm a couple ideas for z height.

Don

Nabil Hanke

Aug 7, 2015, 11:15:21 AM8/7/15
to Area515

Yeah, we need to evaluate the options for spacing the y-rails up for more z. The Orange feet for the rails hang off the table a bit much to my liking. But not completely off the table. I'm going to look for some 2x12's I think I've got.

One option I'd go super simple and sacrifice being able to put 48" material onto the table. But it'll be short by an annoying amount.

Chris Johnson

Aug 7, 2015, 8:57:15 PM8/7/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
The feet on the Y rails need to be adjusted so that the front feet are flush with the front of the top.  The rest of the feet to be spaced equidistance with the last foot flush with the back of the table.  the rails will protrude further back, but that will allow the router to travel more to the rear edge of the top surface, since the router sits in front of the X axis.

Chris

Nabil Hanke

Aug 8, 2015, 11:40:27 AM8/8/15
to Area515

That's not the quandary. The feet need to point out from the table, but in doing that they hang past the edge and don't have much table left to mount to.

Chris Johnson

Aug 8, 2015, 2:49:26 PM8/8/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Not arguing, but why do they need to point in that direction?  I thought we were already past that.

Don Cady

Aug 8, 2015, 4:15:02 PM8/8/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
If they point out, we get 4 feet of table along the x axis (not nessisarily x travel of the router). If they point in, you ~just~ don't. 4ft is a common lumber size. The idea was to avoid the rip you'd have to do on every 4ft x N plank. I don't remember the exact measurements, but it's ~just~ short enough it could be a "Why didn't we have designed this better?" nusance.
Now, maybe an alternative could be to route wood feet to go on top of the rail feet, with large boards resting above those (clamped on the sides instead of track) ?

Don

Chris Johnson

Aug 8, 2015, 4:56:11 PM8/8/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We all went through that at the original meeting, and everyone felt that 4ft wasn't needed, but we needed a minimum of 3ft.  We didn't overlook it, you guys decided it wasn't needed.  if that had been the case, we should have planned differently from the beginning.  Check the width of the gantry and the lines for the T-trak.  It was all planned based on less than 4ft.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 8, 2015, 6:42:04 PM8/8/15
to Area515

I do recall that discussion now. In that case, we are ready to stack up the spacers for the Y rails and start assembling.

Chris Johnson

Aug 8, 2015, 7:18:20 PM8/8/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
OK, I am in the middle of working on cutting extrusion for CBeam3PO. Is anyone working on it tonight or
tomorrow?  I can bring the edging and iron back down and we can cut and edge the remaining pieces.

Don Cady

Aug 8, 2015, 8:45:58 PM8/8/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Sorry my memory isn't as good.
Nabil, Ray, and Jeff Z are down here tonight. I'm outie..., but will be down tomorrow, and can be as early as you suggest.

Don

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Chris Johnson <digge...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, I am in the middle of working on cutting extrusion for CBeam3PO. Is anyone working on it tonight or
tomorrow?  I can bring the edging and iron back down and we can cut and edge the remaining pieces.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 9, 2015, 2:01:33 PM8/9/15
to Area515

I'm here, doin stuff. Likely will be for most of day.

Chris Johnson

Aug 9, 2015, 2:40:09 PM8/9/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I'm still hung up.  Hoping to make it, but looking worse by the minute.  If you guys want to cut the wood, I will at least see if I can scramble down and get it edged, so it can be mounted.  Keep me posted.  Sorry, but I have a problem I have to get handled before I get down there.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 10, 2015, 10:38:17 PM8/10/15
to Area515

So we moved ahead. Didn't have enough of the chipboard to stack high enough. So we went with the material we had on hand to get the job done. It is quite sturdy.

So tomorrow we can align and adjust and wire and maybe even move axes.

20150810_213710.jpg

jim kraai

Aug 11, 2015, 7:55:01 AM8/11/15
to dsmhackerspace
nice!!!

Nabil Hanke

Aug 16, 2015, 1:12:23 PM8/16/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Started rewiring last night. We don't have the cable chain fully printed yet, so we reinstalled the seal-tite conduit to start testing things.

I plan to come down this evening probably around 6 to continue wiring. assistance will be appreciated. Not sure where what plugs into what. Also, we need to figure out the touch-off inputs and software settings.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 17, 2015, 12:59:16 AM8/17/15
to Area515

Thanks to Paul for coming down to assist.

We got the basic wiring all in place and connected. And had to find profiles on server etc. No smoke. Works. Basically.

https://youtu.be/xAlGlzk8brE

Still need to install y axis limit switches. And touch of pad. And calibrate. And wire in relay for motor. And give the computer a home. And maybe regulate motor speed via software.

But it's alive!! It's ALIVE!!!!

I plan to be at the space tomorrow if anyone is interested in helping. It would be very cool to have it marginally operable on Tuesday.

Chris Johnson

Aug 17, 2015, 9:18:52 PM8/17/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Great work guys!  Wish I could be there.  I would trade Area 515 for the hospital any time.  Hoping to stay out this time.  In case you are wondering, the body doesn't run well at 80 over 50 and no fluids.  Hoping to make it Tuesday and at least cheer you on.

Chris

beernutz

Aug 17, 2015, 9:25:39 PM8/17/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Ish, that sounds like a bad time Chris!  Hope you stay better!

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Chris Johnson <digge...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great work guys!  Wish I could be there.  I would trade Area 515 for the hospital any time.  Hoping to stay out this time.  In case you are wondering, the body doesn't run well at 80 over 50 and no fluids.  Hoping to make it Tuesday and at least cheer you on.

Chris

Don Cady

Aug 18, 2015, 8:25:05 AM8/18/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

> Great work guys!  Wish I could be there.  I would trade Area 515 for the hospital any time.  Hoping to stay out this time.  In case you are wondering, the body doesn't run well at 80 over 50 and no fluids.

This was blood pressure?

jim kraai

Aug 18, 2015, 9:20:45 AM8/18/15
to dsmhackerspace
nah, those are clearly gear oil viscosity numbers

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Don Cady <don...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great work guys!  Wish I could be there.  I would trade Area 515 for the hospital any time.  Hoping to stay out this time.  In case you are wondering, the body doesn't run well at 80 over 50 and no fluids.

This was blood pressure?

Matthew Gidel

Aug 18, 2015, 9:51:45 AM8/18/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Sorry I was not as available to help with it. Volleyball is over so I should be more free to help on Tuesdays.

Tim-S

Aug 18, 2015, 10:31:59 AM8/18/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
"those are clearly gear oil viscosity numbers"
"and no fluids"
Found your problem. I recommend injecting an IV bag of gear oil. Seriously though, I hope are (and remain!) better.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 18, 2015, 1:26:08 PM8/18/15
to Area515

Chase a quart of Slick 50 with a NOS energy drink. You'll be right as rain.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 18, 2015, 1:28:30 PM8/18/15
to Area515

Don and I got profile figured out and more mounting done. We need to figure out done things with Linux cnc for homing behaviour and touch off pad.

Wired up y axis end stop. It works. Need to hunt down another stop switch for the back side.

Paul L. Mohr

Aug 18, 2015, 5:11:01 PM8/18/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

I have a micro switch with the proper form factor, mounting holes, and actuation. I will bring it with tonight

Don Cady

Aug 18, 2015, 6:15:10 PM8/18/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
And level the thing, and wire the Estop.
Bonus items- replace the x stop switches with some _with_ whiskers. Maybe even long whiskers, so we can bend them how we want. (for those following at home: the producer of this kit stupidly clipped the whisker tabs off the x carriage switches, which risks slamming said carriage into the wheels on the y rail)
Design or find a tray or plank for the cable chain. We have at least 3/4 of the links now.

Don

Nabil Hanke

Aug 19, 2015, 1:18:40 PM8/19/15
to Area515

Update for Tuesday open  house progress.

Installed switch provided by Paul. We now have upper and lower limit switches on both x and y axes. Played around with using end stops as homes. But I'm skeptical that they are actually good reference points. So for now it doesn't search for home. Wherever it is when you home it is home.

Z still has no limits, lower limit is going to be the touch off pad. We may yet need to install an upper limit switch, despite my initial thoughts to the contrary. So we will need some more switches.

We are limited to only five inputs, so instead of eating up four of them with discrete upper and lower limits for x & y, we wired each respective axis switches in parallel. To do so required changing them from normally closed to normally open. But we now currently are using only two of the five inputs.

Also Don and I noodled out the enable pin for the spindle motor. It is open collector on the high side of the 24v rail. However, out relay box maxes out at 12v input. So we need to level shift it. Our attempts last night were less than encouraging. The relay specs a 3-12v & 3-30ma input. So we did a voltage divider with a 2.2k and 1k series resistors.  But instead of the 7 volts expected, we got 2.7. And our 24v input read 9.  Then we realized it was well after midnight and stopped.

Paul L. Mohr

Aug 19, 2015, 1:40:13 PM8/19/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9venin's_theorem
Tell me when you will be there and I will do the science :) and we will make it go.
I have several variable regulators and that is more efficient for voltage shift.
Input and output impedance mismatch , drive current I suspect to be 20ma, so about 1k output impedance
The math says that output impedance would be 6k for 0 impedance input if your measurements are correct or more likely, input impedance is 1k and output impedance is more than 1k which would fit with common standards of industrial 20 miliamp loop type circuits
Variable regulator is the way to go, LM317
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM317

Ray Scheufler

Aug 19, 2015, 7:05:11 PM8/19/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
You could still have them in normally closed mode if you wire them in series rather than parallel.

I'm curious about the spindle control.  I'm surprised that is is pull up only.  It shouldn't be too hard to get it to work.  It might be fine with just a series resistor.  I assume that you are trying to switch the powertail SSR.  Internally it is just an led and a current limiting resistor.  Do we have a schematic of the driver board?

Ray Scheufler

Paul L. Mohr

Aug 19, 2015, 7:32:22 PM8/19/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I agree { It might be fine with just a series resistor.} , the typical  SSR input would be 1k in series with a led and the math on their measurements tells me that the OC output is pulled up to 24V with a 5k resistor as ( (9-2.,7) / 2200) is about 3ma so the total resistance is about 8k, thus the 24v output is through a 5k and then the voltage drop to the led would be 4v.

Don Cady

Aug 20, 2015, 9:29:56 AM8/20/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

If you're saying there should be an _additional_ 4v drop, this makes partial sense (within my limited comprehension), as there was a 4.7k on the board (SMD with resistor code 472) we thought could be between the incoming 24v and the output pin. But the output pin still read near* 24v without the voltage divider. Confused, and considered our thinking might be clouded by tiredness, looked at clock and....  <- you can chronologically put that between Nabil's second-to-last and last sentences. :)
*I don't remember exact values.
We should read what the supposed-to-be 24v supply is before it goes to the board to see what it really is, compare with after to see if the 4.7K accounts for the difference.

Don

Paul L. Mohr

Aug 20, 2015, 10:04:39 AM8/20/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

Since not everybody is EE or CE, I will make a diagram.
+24v->>---4.7K--.-------------x------y-------.-------LED---1K-->>-GND
                       OC(out)                     SSR(in)

This is what I see from your description. The output drive is pulled up to 24v through a 4.7K resistor and shorted to ground with an OC driver
which would be connected to the input of the solid state relay, which has an internal 1k current limiting resistor. If you put a 2.2k resistor at x
and a 1k resistor to ground at y then the voltages would be approximately what you measured.
This is the model that seems to fit what you are saying, but without looking at the stuff and measuring, it is merely my take on what is happening.
It would make sense that if the (OC out) was connected to (SSR in), the voltage measured at (SSR in) would be about 4V and would turn it on.
I -think- this is what Ray is saying also.

Surgeon General's Warning: In the state of Confusion, this product may produce magic smoke.

Chris Johnson

Aug 20, 2015, 2:24:17 PM8/20/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Here is I little bit to get everyone going for the router:

Nabil Hanke

Aug 20, 2015, 3:56:26 PM8/20/15
to Area515

That's a great write-up.

On Aug 20, 2015 1:24 PM, "Chris Johnson" <digge...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is I little bit to get everyone going for the router:

Don Cady

Aug 20, 2015, 5:27:49 PM8/20/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

Except the SSR in is where it read 2.7v, hence our initial confusion.

Nabil, when were you thinking of taking a crack at it again?
[keep in mind compressor pipe volunteers will be around Fri night and may want access to the hole]

Don

Ray Scheufler

Aug 20, 2015, 5:53:22 PM8/20/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace

I will be around this evening and will likely poke at it.

Ray Scheufler

Nabil Hanke

Aug 21, 2015, 8:30:47 AM8/21/15
to Area515

Ray poked. My nocturnal assessment was wrong. The transistor connects to ground. The 24v measurement was normal leakage through a snubber diode to protect against spikes if you use it to drive a relay coil directly. Anyway, we tested and then wired and succeeded in switching power to the motor via computer control.

We then focused our attention on the touch off pad. Ultimately installed a panel mount 1/4" headphone jack in the x carriage for the touch off pad. So it is removable with a confident connection.

Very good progress indeed.

Paul L. Mohr

Aug 21, 2015, 11:11:40 AM8/21/15
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Thank you Nabil and Ray for the great training on the laser!!

Nabil, I have some of those tiny screw terminal screws and will bring them with the next time I am there. I keep a disk drive magnet inside my cyclonic vacuum cleaner and it collects all kinds of stuff I didn't know I dropped :)

I will try to make it to help with pipe removal tonight.

The result (CNC router) operates as it should and is wired properly IMHO, however I did go back and refresh myself on reverse diode currents. A typical reverse current of a diode is in the micro ampere range and cannot be responsible for the measured ma currents in a test circuit. I would -guess- that the confusion comes from the indicator LEDs that are part of that circuit also. Also the SSR is a real Relay and not a solid state switch ( which are more expensive). I always enjoy learning new things and the relationship of the thermal electron leakage in diodes as it relates to the nature of electron flow in thermocouples was an interesting connection. It was only recently that I truly grokked the fact that conduction band electrons in metals are the carriers of thermal diffusion.
I still say there is an equivalent resistance to 24v of around 5k somewhere in the drive circuit. It would be interesting to look at a schematic of the parallel port stepper driver device.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 21, 2015, 3:57:21 PM8/21/15
to Area515

I haven't found a good schematic for it yet. There are lots of similar devices that have much more documentation. We've been able to stumble through it enough to work that we haven't gone further down the rabbit hole yet.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 23, 2015, 2:12:22 PM8/23/15
to Area515

Just got the y rails fully mounted. And then used a dial indicator to probe the corners. It's not perfect yet, but close. In probing the whole bed space, total deviation is about .060".

I'm gonna dive into setting offsets for placing work pieces.

Now would be a good time to bring sacrificial boards for holding work pieces.

Plans have been discussed regarding dust control. Full height floor to ceiling curtains sound like a good way to quarantine. But we will need to get a sufficient dust collector going as well.

Paul Mohr

Aug 23, 2015, 4:25:02 PM8/23/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I have an air system that was designed to blow up one of those "bouncy castles" and it pushes so many CFM's that it would be perfect for that ( with a filter), I also have some sheer curtains that I used to be on my porch ( 8 ft length) and they could be used as a floor to ceiling curtain.
I will bring both Tuesday.
I would think that air across the surface and a scoop at the back to vacuum would be nice and I have a small shop vac that I don't use either that could be modded for that purpose.
If you think you can use the shop vac too, let me know.
I would think that as a minimum for testing we could put a 3/4 pipe through the wall to the compressor, just for the router as a temporary test.
Can we do a diagonal cut on a 2x8x6'  or 2x4x6' to create a tray ( for the printed cable holder)  as an experiment? I have some that would work and I will bring that Tuesday as well.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 23, 2015, 8:53:23 PM8/23/15
to Area515

Right now, the router will do a 41" x 41" area.

Does anyone have a laser pointer we could affix to the router for aligning to work pieces? I found and have implemented a gui button to zero x & y, and they mentioned using a laser pointer to be more precise.

I'm still fumbling with the touch off for z.

Nabil Hanke

Aug 24, 2015, 4:05:24 PM8/24/15
to Area515

So I've wrapped my head around the ladder programming within Linux cnc,I think. The ladder logic has hooks for input and outputs. You define them outside of the ladder editor. And to make a G-code command be your output, that's in a different file than the one defining it's ladder association. And the addressing of said G-code command is relative to its sequence in the text file- that is, so that association can break easily and do bad things.

But anyway, the cookie cutter I downloaded gives a gui button to set tool tip offset. That's cool.  But next I need to build a similar function to set bed surface height relative to tool tip.

At that point, I'll be much more confident with saying it's time to put the machine to work.

Don Cady

Aug 25, 2015, 10:36:59 AM8/25/15
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Nabil Hanke <nabil...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I've wrapped my head around the ladder programming within Linux cnc,I think. The ladder logic has hooks for input and outputs. You define them outside of the ladder editor. And to make a G-code command be your output, that's in a different file than the one defining it's ladder association. And the addressing of said G-code command is relative to its sequence in the text file- that is, so that association can break easily and do bad things.

Huh? It can break easily?
Guess I'll need to do some reading..

But anyway, the cookie cutter I downloaded gives a gui button to set tool tip offset. That's cool.  But next I need to build a similar function to set bed surface height relative to tool tip.

At that point, I'll be much more confident with saying it's time to put the machine to work.

-snip-

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Nabil Hanke <nabil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just got the y rails fully mounted. And then used a dial indicator to probe the corners. It's not perfect yet, but close. In probing the whole bed space, total deviation is about .060".

.06" is 1.5mm. We should write error/slope/deviation (in both) in documentation somewhere.

Don

Nabil Hanke

Aug 27, 2015, 12:51:08 AM8/27/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

I've spent more time on this yet again tonight, but PROGRESS!!

Attached is a screen cap that pretty much captures all of my efforts and how and where the things are.

One thing that I had fallen victim to from when we first got the router working last year was moving into the material to be cut before the spindle was up to speed. That's fixed now. Period. By two key mechanisms, you can now feel confident that the spindle will be spinning. First, we installed the relay to turn the router on and off automagically for you. But Don and I noted how long it takes for the router to actually GET to speed after being turned on. It's not instant. Last night I inserted a G4 command in the GCode to pause a test program for X seconds. But there is no guarantee that you will get that included into your GCode programs. Dilemma. We need to have that happen within the LinuxCNC runtime without user intervention.

So tonight, I tried a couple of different approaches and got to a pretty basic one. I made a new ladder logic routine to handle it. So whenever the spindle starts, the program is paused for 8 seconds.

I needed to make three connections: spindle state, and pause and resume requests. These were all done in the custom_postgui.hal file. Those defined what to watch for and what to do.

But the logic of "watching and acting" goes in the ClassicLadder. So I have the "spindle-on" input on the left and two different outputs on the right - halui.program.pause, and halui.program.resume. Between them are three timers that trigger such that the pause command is immediately run, then 8 seconds later the resume command is run. Each of the outputs is fed with its own one-shot timer and the resume is branched with an 8 second timer.

I'm sure that was perfectly clear to you all, so I'm gonna try to clear it up by getting it a bit more muddy. The ladder handles logic only. It's fed inputs, gives outputs, and might hold a few of its own internal variables. But what any of the inputs are from or what the outputs eventually DO are outside of the ladder itself. The ladder in this example only knows there is an input internally addressed as 3 and two outputs addressed as 3 and 4, respectively. That's it. What those actually are is defined outside of the ladder. That's where the custom_postgui.hal file comes into place. The "net" command connects physical pins, software state, machine commands, statuses, etc. to those ladder inputs and outputs. (Fortunately I didn't have to get deeper into the third layer of LinuxCNC GDI commands, 'cause that involves a third file that has another layer of linking things.)

TLDR; The CNC now waits for the spindle to spin up.

--
SpindleDelay.png

Paul Mohr

Aug 27, 2015, 1:21:32 AM8/27/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Very good. I understood all of that. Strangely I would like it to be more complex. So ... the CPU reads a ladder config file ( displaying it as a ladder) and simulates a virtual gate array ( with special functions like timer ) as dependent if then logic which reads inputs and sets outputs in something akin to real time.

Great work, I look forward to trying it out. You have really put a lot of time and effort in this.
I assume HAL is a reference to the Hardware Abstraction Layer

Nabil Hanke

Sep 6, 2015, 2:51:52 PM9/6/15
to Area515

Continued progress:

Made a wall mount arm for monitor & mounted
Moved table away from front of machine
Hacked laser pointer to use barrel power jack for 5v negative center tip - needs mounting (will help with part homing)

Still need
Need an extension cable for parallel port,  10' or longer would be great.
Build & mount arm for keyboard.
Adjust x rails to take up slop.
Finish redoing part homing script
Install e-Stop switch

Wednesday night work for anyone to help knock this stuff out and get routing?