Rostock v2 hot end issues

Nabil Hanke

Feb 2, 2016, 11:44:01 PM2/2/16
to Area 515
The hot end is measuring 210 via ir gun yet reporting 243 in software. The filament is acting jammed. Extrusion is poor and stringy. The extruder is covered in dust and rubbed down by hob wheel. Prints are sucking.

On another note, the fan for the hot end has been making noise but still spinning and easy to stop.

Thank you,
Nabíl

Ray Scheufler

Feb 2, 2016, 11:49:42 PM2/2/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace
IR gun is hard to get a good reading on the hot end due to its shape and size.  I would tend to trust the software.

What you are describing sounds much more like a partial clog.  The machine should be considered down for maintenance until the hot end can be disassembled and cleaned out.

Ray Scheufler

Mike Longnecker

Feb 2, 2016, 11:53:38 PM2/2/16
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Is there any damage to the PEEK section? Typically these thermistors only get damaged from 300C+, and the PEEK melts at 250Cish.

Those fans that ship stock are really small and kinda bad. If you could get one of the E3D ones (they are 5mm bigger on each side I think) those spin much faster and are much better quality.

This is meant for the E3D hotend, but I think it should work http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:768964
There is also this one for a 40mm (probably easier to source) http://repables.com/r/99/

Mike Longnecker

Mike Longnecker

Ray Scheufler

Feb 6, 2016, 5:53:21 PM2/6/16
to Des Moines Hackerspace

I stopped by the space to work on the printer.  As I suspected the nozzle was clogged.  I pulled apart the hot end and unclogged it.  I suspect that someone was printing at too low of a temperature.

While reassembling I also noticed that the screw holding the red lever on the extruder had come out.  That caused the bearing to no longer be squeezing the filament to the knurled roller.  I tightened the screw and it started feeding again.

Just a reminder, printing is more of an art form than a science.

Ray Scheufler