More problems with the laser?

ze...@egherman.com

Aug 13, 2017, 6:57:50 PM8/13/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Im having problems with the laser right now, im doing (what i think to be) everything correctly, however after reaching a certain point on the X axis, the beam no longer comes out of the head. Does this mean it is out of alignment? Is it ok if i continue to use the laser only in the section in which it works? I only need to cut 3 (3*5in) items.
Thanks,
Zeke

Ray Scheufler

Aug 13, 2017, 7:25:33 PM8/13/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I don't think it is a good idea to keep using it.  I'll take a look tomorrow night when I am down at the space.  If there is a point that it isn't coming out of the focusing cone, likely you are out of focus elsewhere and not getting good cuts.

Ray Scheufler

Zeke Egherman

Aug 13, 2017, 7:35:01 PM8/13/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I figured it out, pretty sure it was overheating. Does that sound plausible? I was using it on half power and just running through multiple times and it seems fine now.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 13, 2017, 7:36:46 PM8/13/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
STOP USING THE LASER NOW.

If something is overheating then there is a strong possibility of component damage. I would much rather fiND the issue and fix it than buy a new tube.

Ray Scheufler

ze...@egherman.com

ze...@egherman.com

Ray Scheufler

Aug 14, 2017, 8:03:48 PM8/14/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
The laser appears to be firing correctly but is out of focus. The kerf is wider than I would like. Hopefully Bailey can take a look tomorrow evening.

Ray Scheufler

Zeke Egherman

Aug 14, 2017, 8:07:40 PM8/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha. Is it alright to use? Or should I wait.

Bailey Steinfadt

Aug 14, 2017, 8:08:21 PM8/14/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I'll look at it after the bulk of people have left from open house.

Zeke Egherman

Aug 14, 2017, 8:11:47 PM8/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I'll try and get down there tonight as well.

Ray Scheufler

Aug 14, 2017, 8:12:01 PM8/14/17
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Thanks for taking a look bailey.

Zeke, I'd recommend holding off until bailey can look at it. Hopefully it is an easy alignment.

Ray Scheufler

Zeke Egherman

Aug 14, 2017, 8:14:44 PM8/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to get down there until 8 30 or 9 tonight. Even if she hasn't taken a look at it by then, I've got some stuff to print so it will work out.

Bailey Steinfadt

Aug 14, 2017, 8:33:49 PM8/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I won't be down there until tomorrow. I'm babysitting a dog and have a presentation due in the morning

Zeke Egherman

Aug 14, 2017, 8:37:04 PM8/14/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Alright, just keep us posted :)