Open House 5-12

Ray Scheufler

May 12, 2015, 4:26:04 PM5/12/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Who all is going to be at the space this evening?

I just got an electric unicycle from China so I will be trolling around the neighborhood with it.

Ray Scheufler

Mike Longnecker

May 12, 2015, 4:28:20 PM5/12/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be around, gonna be working on my TAZ and letting people bug me about the 3D printing event.

Mike Longnecker

Bailey Mader

May 12, 2015, 4:37:02 PM5/12/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there. I'd like to get trained on the laser. And I need a new mount for my bike headlight. Need to chat with someone about getting one printed...

Ray Scheufler

May 12, 2015, 4:48:44 PM5/12/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
I can probably do that.

Util designs

May 12, 2015, 4:56:00 PM5/12/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'll be late. Kid activities until 7:45

Sent from my iPhone

Don Cady

May 13, 2015, 1:37:09 AM5/13/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Note it was just noticed the garage door is open, and won't close. The tuk and all those bicycles are just sitting there wide open and available...

Don

David Champion

May 13, 2015, 9:46:00 PM5/13/15
to dsmhackerspace
Garage door is still open.

I did a quick look, the breaker labelled "garage door" was not tripped, cycled it and it still no workey. The sensors appear to be intact and pointing in generally the right direction.

So... can someone please call the landlord and have them fix it?

-dc

Bailey Mader

May 28, 2015, 10:48:00 AM5/28/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

I think I found the garage door problem. Someone has been messing with the sensors to keep it open. I got it closed today. Tom, can you relay that info to Terrus?

Util designs

May 28, 2015, 1:01:33 PM5/28/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Will do. Thanks for the update and I'll post the Terrus numbers at the space.

Sent from my iPhone

Don Cady

Jun 10, 2015, 1:32:38 AM6/10/15
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Util designs <utilitari...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will do. Thanks for the update and I'll post the Terrus numbers at the space.

Where are they? The police would like in asap (w/o breaking down the door), and I figured it's always good time to harbor goodwill with them, given some of the things our members do.

Don

David Champion

Jun 10, 2015, 1:33:58 AM6/10/15
to dsmhackerspace
The police want in where?

-dc

Don Cady

Jun 10, 2015, 1:36:05 AM6/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
The building.
I'm simply asking if we have the Terrus phone numbers down here, so I could give them.

Don

Ray Scheufler

Jun 10, 2015, 8:41:38 AM6/10/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace

Did the police want in our space or the apartments?

Ray Scheufler

kristau

Jun 10, 2015, 1:27:41 PM6/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the law with regard to searches conducted by Law Enforcement without a warrant:

- If you consent to search at the door, they can search the entire premises. At that point it is Game Over. You can't pick and choose what/where they can search.

- Anyone present can consent to search regardless of whether they are a visitor, member, or board member. If you answer the door and consent to search, they assume you are the responsible party and the law will back them up on that point.

WITH a warrant, they are actually limited by that document as to the specific location within the premises they can search, but they can visually inspect the entire area for signs of "other" possible criminal activity. For example, if the warrant says they can search the refrigerator, then they can tear that thing down to its component parts, but they can't touch anything else unless there is visible evidence of a possible crime. Without a warrant, but WITH consent, they can tear the entire place apart.

In my opinion, you can and should always refuse search unless they have a warrant (in which case, you can't refuse). Not that we are doing anything nefarious at the space, but we don't want the legal and financial hassle that would come with an overzealous/malicious search. . .

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night
The core dump follows

beernutz

Jun 10, 2015, 1:37:23 PM6/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Well said, and good points made.  Thank you.

Jeffz

Jun 10, 2015, 8:49:51 PM6/10/15
to Des Moines Hackerspace
Yes, never consent to search. I used to run ACLU workshops on your legal rights., We have nothing to hide there , of course, but you should not give up your liberties - never know what people leave in a public space too!

kristau

Jun 10, 2015, 8:50:20 PM6/10/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Oh, another scenario to consider. WITH a warrant, they will most likely try to get consent. Again, that is a Game Over situation and they can search everywhere.

Don Cady

Jun 11, 2015, 10:36:19 AM6/11/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com

They wanted upstairs. I was simply asking where the phone numbers were...

Bailey Mader

Jun 11, 2015, 10:47:25 AM6/11/15
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
We've had firefighters and EMTs asking if we could help them upstairs at times, too....

David Champion

Jun 11, 2015, 10:51:55 AM6/11/15
to dsmhackerspace
My condo unit has a Knox Box (a special keyed lock box) that the Fire Department has a key to, so they can get into the building.

I would suggest that the building owner should get one for the apartment entrance.

We have nothing to do with the apartments, other than having the same landlord.

-dc