Possible to 3d print...

Justin Richeson

Jan 4, 2017, 11:38:52 AM1/4/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Can someone who knows about 3d printing answer this one for me?  My son got a Playskool Star Wars Ghost for christmas and then promptly lost two of the 4 "missiles" that go with it.  These are the plastic, spring-loaded darts common with kids toys.  My question is if it's possible to print new ones given their shape.  They're round with no flat edge to really work with.  Below is a picture of it (from the web) including the darts.  I do still have darts if we can use any decent method to model them, but I don't know if there's any good way to print them.

Don Cady

Jan 6, 2017, 2:49:46 PM1/6/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why not. That's what support is for. Will they be as pretty as the molded ones? No. Will they be as strong? No, they'll likely break when stepped on. But you can do it.
Orienting the large side down before you save the STL will help printing.
Note I'm not volunteering to model (I'm not any good at it yet), just answering.

Don

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Justin Richeson <neoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone who knows about 3d printing answer this one for me?  My son got a Playskool Star Wars Ghost for christmas and then promptly lost two of the 4 "missiles" that go with it.  These are the plastic, spring-loaded darts common with kids toys.  My question is if it's possible to print new ones given their shape.  They're round with no flat edge to really work with.  Below is a picture of it (from the web) including the darts.  I do still have darts if we can use any decent method to model them, but I don't know if there's any good way to print them.

Justin Richeson

Jan 6, 2017, 3:51:33 PM1/6/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I did some additional research, but I didn't consider component integrity...I'm also trying to figure out if I could do cast plastic resin...  Just need to figure out how to do a good mold.  I've been watching The King of Random on YouTube...he's been doing silicon molds lately...I wonder if you can do resin in those.

Benjamin Miller

Jan 6, 2017, 4:05:35 PM1/6/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you just print them in halves and glue them together with acetone?

- Benjamin Miller <b...@benjamintmiller.com>

David Champion

Jan 6, 2017, 4:13:33 PM1/6/17
to dsmhackerspace
Does Sean still have the resin printer at the space?

-dc

Nabil Hanke

Jan 6, 2017, 8:05:25 PM1/6/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
I’m not sure the resin prints would be strong enough for a child’s toy.

Doing a mold is quite straightforward, but a bit much effort for a small quantity of parts.  I’d second the idea of doing abs and acetone as a glue for the two parts.  I’ve had good luck with that.

PLA may be better for a teether than ABS, but I’m no expert on that.

That Kid

Jordan Burklund

Jan 6, 2017, 8:53:24 PM1/6/17
to Area 515 Hackerspace
Or 3d print the molds for casting.

--
Jordan
Message has been deleted

Brad Freese

Jan 9, 2017, 10:04:05 AM1/9/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space

In looking at the picture, I'm fairly certain that if the parts are printed using ABS they would hold up fine. I'm actually starting a small 3D scanning and printing business so this is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to help you out with! The business is just starting up; I'm looking for customers more than price so give me a call and we can negotiate cost.

You can take a look at some of my stuff here: bradfreese.squarespace.com

I've scanned and printed a functional RC airplane propeller so this wouldn't be difficult.  Shoot me an email and I can give you my cell phone number and we can talk. Mine is bradley [dot] freese [at] gmail.com
Cheers!

Justin Richeson

Jan 9, 2017, 12:37:29 PM1/9/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Brad, I might be interested depending on the price.  At least for the modeling since that's likely to be the hardest part of the duplication process.  I added you to my google circles so you should be able to get my email that way if you don't already have it from somewhere else.  The sad thing is no matter what route I go I'm probably going to spend a ton more than if the manufacturer just had the factory up production and sold them at retail :(.  Granted...they make a profit.  I'm sure there's probably < $1.00's worth of plastic in two missiles.

Thankfully, somehow my son's less worried about the missing ammunition than my son is...so it's not urgent.  Thanks to everyone for input on this.  If I can get a model created I may even try some of the different methods mentioned and do a bit of a comparison.

--Justin

Justin Richeson

Jan 26, 2017, 11:24:39 AM1/26/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
We lucked out...all the parts were found.  I think I may try the idea to do a silicone mold at some point to try resin casting.  That seems like it's the most straight forward for this part, and if I can mold all four at once I can cast 4 at a time down the road.