Space work days

Bailey Steinfadt

Nov 1, 2017, 10:19:18 AM11/1/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Space work days have been evenings on third Thursdays because no reason other than it was an evening we didn't have anything else on the calendar. But we know that it isn't the best night for everyone.
If we were to add a second work day each month, which of the following would work best for you?

1st Saturday morning of the month
1st Sunday afternoon of the month
1st Monday evening of the month

I am going to put some extra effort into getting the garage cleaned and lit properly for the next few work days, and could use some help, but any cleaning/tidying/organizing is welcome!

Ben Brown

Nov 3, 2017, 6:03:59 PM11/3/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Outside of removing trash and unwanted debris from the very back corner, please consult me (the garage steward) before you do anything.

Tim-S

Nov 3, 2017, 7:46:42 PM11/3/17

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 5:03:59 PM UTC-5, Ben Brown wrote:
Outside of removing trash and unwanted debris from the very back corner, please consult me (the garage steward) before you do anything.

Fair. We still need to hang lights in the back area of the garage, find a permanent home for the kiln / slip table / molds, clean the dust, and design and build a ventilation system. Will you be available during the work days? If not, will you please post plans we can follow?

Several members have also asked for space to drive in a vehicle to work on.

Ben Brown

Nov 4, 2017, 6:16:23 PM11/4/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
As soon as we get definite dates, I can show for the work days.

I have a rough idea of how to arrange the garage, but I can't give anything definite until pretty much all the discardable stuff has been labeled as such.

A lot of the garage plan depends on how much space we're going to devote to storage. One of the best things we can do is to break down those two large shelving systems. That will give us a lot of floor space.

In line with maximizing floor space, I'd like to put the idea early in everyone's mind of rolling workstations and toolstations, to the extent possible for usefulness and safety. Having the ability to easily rearrange a workspace is nearly as worthwhile as having more space.

I kept several (flattened but un-flattened-able) air ducts that might be of use for ventilation.

Lighting is going to have to be on the order of "blazing" to be of any use in that very back part. I suggest LED bulbs and protective sleeves in the many fluorescent fixtures we have. We have permission to take from the stack at the front of the garage. We might consider branching off from the switched light that is in the front part.

Ryan Renze

Nov 4, 2017, 9:23:37 PM11/4/17
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
Monday evenings work best for me out of those 3 options.

Bailey Steinfadt

Nov 15, 2017, 4:16:14 PM11/15/17
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow, November 16th is our garage work day. Let's get some junk cleaned up and the lights hung up!

I have two votes for Sundays and one for Mondays for the second work day each month starting in December. I'll schedule next week based on votes.

Everyone's efforts to clean/organize/improve the space on ANY day are appreciated!