Laser Misfire and Password

Ben Brown

Mar 14, 2018, 1:20:28 PM3/14/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
So I started a cut, and it went fine for one section. The laser head moved to the next cut and seemed to be following the path, but the laser was not firing. I stopped the process using the digital e-stop, then closed out of the program and restarted to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. I shut down the laser (the switches and power strip), restarted it, and still nothing. I then restarted the computer because...sometimes that fixes things? But now I'm locked out because I don't know the password.

That's my report. I'm going to leave this for more experienced people.

Zeke Egherman

Mar 14, 2018, 1:23:58 PM3/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
When you say "The laser was not firing" does that mean that the tube still lit up, but the laser did not come out of the end? Or did the tube just not fire. Also, from the fact you mentioned the switches, I am assuming this is the Blacktooth? (Larger wooden one). Do you have training on the Full Spectrum Laser? I would say just use that one if you can, it is more reliable from my experience.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Ben Brown <benfletc...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I started a cut, and it went fine for one section. The laser head moved to the next cut and seemed to be following the path, but the laser was not firing. I stopped the process using the digital e-stop, then closed out of the program and restarted to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. I shut down the laser (the switches and power strip), restarted it, and still nothing. I then restarted the computer because...sometimes that fixes things? But now I'm locked out because I don't know the password.

That's my report. I'm going to leave this for more experienced people.

Ray Scheufler

Mar 14, 2018, 1:26:04 PM3/14/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
That is the symptom you get if you forgot to open the program to listen to the arduino.  I'll be down this evening and will do a test run to make sure it is fine.

Ray Scheufler

Ben Brown

Mar 14, 2018, 2:30:39 PM3/14/18
to Area515 - Des Moines Maker Space
I suspected that was the cause. I did run the listening program, and it said it was listening to something something ttyUSB0. What would it display if it were listening to the Arduino?

Zeke Egherman

Mar 14, 2018, 2:34:36 PM3/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
That should be what it says when it listens to the Arduino. The thing is, sometimes that changes. What I do is I type it in all the way up to "ttyUSB" And then press tab so it completes it with whatever port it is currently on.

Ray Scheufler

Mar 14, 2018, 2:42:05 PM3/14/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
If the arduino is not on ttyUSB0 then linuxcnc won't be able to talk to it and you will have other errors.

I will check on it this evening and send an update with what I find out.

Ray Scheufler

David Champion

Mar 14, 2018, 3:21:49 PM3/14/18
to dsmhackerspace
If you run "dmesg | grep ttyUSB", look for the most recent message.

I assume if you unplug the Arduino usb cable and plug it back in, then run that command again, you should see it come back. If there's an error, or it's something like ttyUSB1 then that will take more troubleshooting.

-dc

Kai

Mar 14, 2018, 3:29:28 PM3/14/18
to dsmhack...@googlegroups.com
It's likely in /dev, so can make sure with:
ls /dev | grep -i usb

You could type USB and ditch the -i, but that requires holding the shift key, so tiresome.
:D

Zeke's method is the best though. bash tab completion is so so nice.
Kai e'Kael

Ray Scheufler

Mar 14, 2018, 6:34:42 PM3/14/18
to Des Moines Hackerspace
When I got to the space and tried the laser it didn't manually fire. I fiddled with the safety switch on the lid, verified we had water flow, and sent a bunch of commands to the arduino (that it properly responded to). I tried to test fire again and it worked. I was able to successfully run the job that was left open in linuxcnc.

I added a script called arduino yeller to go with the arduino listener. It is on the launcher next to the listener scrip. You should be able to run it to validate that the listener is hearing the arduino. Don't run it during a job because it will change the power level of the laser and probably not do what you want.

Ray Scheufler